magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

2 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season

108th. 

Yep, but I’m the one underrating our player. Like I said earlier, it’s you overrating them. Sure you can find some stat that AG is elite at but that doesn’t round him out to be an elite defender. Look at that list. He’s not even in the top 100. The best defenders in the league are. But no I’m just being a hater. 

Hey, there are stats out there that say Vuc is a good defender LOL

• Like 1

In other news EP is listed as a top 10 available PG in a few articles... here is one LOL http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/80443/47/2018-free-agent-rankings-pgs

and here are 30 that are available https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/23/nba-free-agency-2018-point-guards/

1 hour ago, Odin said:

Hopefully Isaac is working on his offensive game, as he already has a huge impact for us defensively, but his offense really is hurting the team right now.

How was he hurting our offense? I thought he was highly efficient and should have been given the opportunity to score more. 

Surpringly, I felt it was AG who became the chucker as the season progressed. AG needs to work on letting the game come to him. Put backs, rebounds, and transition plays are strengths over his settling for the 3 point shot. 

1 hour ago, Odin said:

Hopefully Isaac is working on his offensive game, as he already has a huge impact for us defensively, but his offense really is hurting the team right now.

To be fair, I think everyone's offense is hurting this team right now considering we have none. 

16 minutes ago, Catalina Maria said:

How was he hurting our offense? I thought he was highly efficient and should have been given the opportunity to score more. 

Surpringly, I felt it was AG who became the chucker as the season progressed. AG needs to work on letting the game come to him. Put backs, rebounds, and transition plays are strengths over his settling for the 3 point shot. 

Agree, there’s a difference between lack of offense and poor offense.  Isaac is the former, AG latter.  They both have opportunities, but only one is really detrimental.

Isaac shot 38% from the field last year.

We were 10.6 points per 100 possessions better on offense when he was on the bench instead of on the court. His TS% was 46.5%.

I will accept to a certain degree the small sample size argument- but he still got over 500 minutes last year, which isn't nothing. I also accept that he was a rookie and should improve with time.

However, that does not mean that he doesn't have some work to do.

10 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Agree, there’s a difference between lack of offense and poor offense.  Isaac is the former, AG latter.  They both have opportunities, but only one is really detrimental.

I am confused on your argument now. Are you now arguing that Gordon was detrimental to our offensive production as well?

5 minutes ago, Odin said:

I am confused on your argument now. Are you now arguing that Gordon was detrimental to our offensive production as well?

I’m not sure what is actually being argued but I would say post all star break AG was bad for our offense. Terrible shot section. Refusing to pass. He was hard to watch at times. But I think our whole team was such a mess I don’t blame that all on him. 

4 minutes ago, Odin said:

Murphy just says **** he can't support and when you push him on it he'll cite something like usage rate when it has no real impact on his point. 

Gordon was pretty good on offense and the shame is he could have been great on offense if he didn't take transition threes and force things occasionally. But crappy shots or not we played better offensively when he was in the game and there isn't a stat that suggests he's "detrimental"

8 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I’m not sure what is actually being argued but I would say post all star break AG was bad for our offense. Terrible shot section. Refusing to pass. He was hard to watch at times. But I think our whole team was such a mess I don’t blame that all on him. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Murphy just says **** he can't support and when you push him on it he'll cite something like usage rate when it has no real impact on his point. 

Gordon was pretty good on offense and the shame is he could have been great on offense if he didn't take transition threes and force things occasionally. But crappy shots or not we played better offensively when he was in the game and there isn't a stat that suggests he's "detrimental"

I think both of you are to a degree, correct. We all saw the games where he took too many terrible shots, which wasn't helpful. But I think we can all see that in the grand scheme of things he was more often helpful than hurtful, and the stats seem to back that up. We were 3.6 points better when he was on the court than when he was off on the offensive end. That doesn't sound like a player who is detrimental.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

The post all star numbers are kind of too noisey to use. Augustin-Simmons-Fournier-Gordon-vucevic and Augustin-Mack-Mario-Gordon-vuc were elite level offenses. But there's a lot of iwundu/Artis/purvis minutes that poison the data. 

Also to clarify the above post. I don't want to imply I think those lineups are capable of elite offense. There's a small sample issue. More showing the difference between a lineup full of NBA players and what happens when you include non NBA guys