magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

That's fair. And that's kind of where I'm at with exum too. 

It's why I think our best case scenario is pushing for a Delon Wright trade. All the exum upside with actual meaningful performance and a year of evaluation before we waste money on him

I would like Wright too. I liked him in college. But no one else seems to fit or be an exciting player.  

28 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Giannis and Durant were the guys he couldn't defend. He gave up points to guys like Jalen Jones or RHJ (and those types of guys) which isn't really a statement on ability, more focus issues that he needs to work on. If you stick him on good players he locks in. If you stick him on bad players he falls asleep

I've seen him get torn up by almost anyone each game he's in.  That said he also has good moments and has some potential left, but he is far more overrated than underrated.  He is plain not good at offense, ball handling, or making adjustments.  He is marginally above average defensively.  His overall IQ appears to negate his defensive ability as he often screws up the perimeter defensive flow.  His niche is situational isolation defense.  This can change, but he hasn't really improved over the past few years, he's just gotten more minutes and usage.  

I don't understand Exum at this point.  He's worse than Payton, even when he's disinterested. 

Kevin O'Connor said he was talking with an NBA official that suggested schroder isn't as bad as his play suggests and he's more a victim of circumstance. Then Bill Simmons started to build a trade centered around Biyombo (lol). 

I disagree, but it's something to keep in mind. 

4 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

I've seen him get torn up by almost anyone each game he's in.  That said he also has good moments and has some potential left, but he is far more overrated than underrated.  He is plain not good at offense, ball handling, or making adjustments.  He is marginally above average defensively.  His overall IQ appears to negate his defensive ability as he often screws up the perimeter defensive flow.  His niche is situational isolation defense.  This can change, but he hasn't really improved over the past few years, he's just gotten more minutes and usage.  

I don't understand Exum at this point.  He's worse than Payton, even when he's disinterested. 

These were my thoughts I was just having issues articulating them here at work. 

We don’t agree on Exum but I’m not concerned about that. I completely understand those that don’t want Exum. I get it. 

4 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

The actual numbers don't support your anecdotal evidence but ok. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

Kevin O'Connor said he was talking with an NBA official that suggested schroder isn't as bad as his play suggests and he's more a victim of circumstance. Then Bill Simmons started to build a trade centered around Biyombo (lol). 

I disagree, but it's something to keep in mind. 

Let's face it, all these players are really really good.  It's all about fit.  

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

The actual numbers don't support your anecdotal evidence but ok. 

They do, but don't let that stop your narrative.  I have no interest in rehashing this as its been brought up many times over the years.  The same stats you discredit were the ones you leaned on until they didn't say what you wanted them to say anymore.  We can still be friends. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Murphy13 said:

They do, but don't let that stop your narrative.  I have no interest in rehashing this as its been brought up many times over the years.  The same stats you discredit were the ones you leaned on until they didn't say what you wanted them to say anymore.  We can still be friends. 

I leaned on them until better stats became available. With the onset of player tracking other stats became obsolete. Especially ones that used counting stats filtered through an algorithm. But as we see the limitations of certain stats we should consider those limitations going forward. Not stay beholden to them because we decided they made sense in 2011. 

15 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Of players who have played at least 20 games (to try to limit small sample sizes), he is a top 50 player in DFG%, holding opposing players 3.3% below their averages. Not elite, but more than above average. That is top 12% in the league. The team is also better defensively when he is on the court than off of it, which seems to reject your idea that "his overall IQ appears to negate his defensive ability". And the idea that he gets torn up by anyone each game he is in is ridiculous.

EDIT: Also, the idea that "he hasn't improved" is not proven statistically. While his best season using the difference in DFG% and an opponent's average FG% was his rookie year, after that he went -1.1%, -1.9%, -3.3%, which suggests that he has, in fact, been improving on that end.

• Upvote 1