magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

36 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Is he worth the 5 year/190 million that he’s wanting? In my book, no. Not sure how that factors in.

Yes. You gotta remember that Butler has the same mileage on him as someone like Harrison Barnes. He should have another 400 games left in him. 

If after 4 years he turns into Wes Matthews, fine. You'll have a 26 year old Gordon, 25 year old Isaac, 24 year old Bamba and [additional good free agent] to pick up the slack. 

1 hour ago, Ibn Battuta said:

we're not in any position to add Butler. Adding Butler at this time wouldn't do much, either. He requested a trade to three teams not named the Magic. If the Wolves are cool with Fournier and a highly, highly protected first that becomes 2nd rounders like 3 years from now, OK. Otherwise I'll take my chances next offseason.

I thought I read that it was three teams he would "resign" with. If that's the case, there's still a possibility of convincing especially if he lands in the right scenario. 

2 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

That would be amazing, but Vuc would have to be moved in a Butler deal. If he thought Towns was soft imagine what he'd think of Vuc

I was thinking this too. If we are active in any sort of trade with Minnesota or as a third team, Vuc is definitely being added into the mix. 

Just now, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Butler will never be the best player on a championship team. What does paying him do to our future cap space? We would need another max guy. 

If Fournier is included in a Butler trade we'd have an avenue to just a shade under a max spot if we opt out of all team options, waive all non-guaranteed players, renounce all free agents, and stretch mozgov and Augustin. 

We can reach a max spot for the 7-9 year guys if we do the above but trade Augustin's expiring contract instead of stretching him. 

Also I'm not sure we should be basing decisions on whether or not a guy can be the best player on a championship team. 

There's not a lot of those guys out there. 

Butler can be the best player on a team that wins the East and I think that's enough. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Also I'm not sure we should be basing decisions on whether or not a guy can be the best player on a championship team. 

There's not a lot of those guys out there. 

Butler can be the best player on a team that wins the East and I think that's enough. 

We cared about how much Gordon was worth/paid why would we just hand out a contract that Butler isn't good enough for? I know the market dicatates these things but he is what he is. There is no more improvement. Just don't want to go broke over a Derozen Tier player.  

2 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

We cared about how much Gordon was worth/paid why would we just hand out a contract that Butler isn't good enough for? I know the market dicatates these things but he is what he is. There is no more improvement. Just don't want to go broke over a Derozen Tier player.  

Butler is better than DeRozan

A 7-9 year max for a perennial all star/all defense guy is worth it. We're not talking about a super max

24 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Butler is better than DeRozan

A 7-9 year max for a perennial all star/all defense guy is worth it. We're not talking about a super max

"Derozan tier" the second or third best guy on a championship team. He obviously would be the best player we have had in a long time but paying a guard/forward who isn't offensively inclined in this day in age seems counter productive. Him and Fournier are pretty close offensively as it is. Does defense grant paying him that much more? I guess I'm just not as high on him as most. He hasn't led a team to anything relevant. He just had his most talented team and managed a whopping 47 wins. He finished near .500 without Rose. Only two way player worth big money is Kawhi. Butler just isn't at that level unless you have the room to get another max guy. 

So I'm fine with a trade for him so long as we found a way to land someone better than him and pay them.

I'll close with this. How many playoff team's best player is also their best defender? You can win that way but the top teams don't win with that makeup. 

4 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Butler will never be the best player on a championship team. What does paying him do to our future cap space? We would need another max guy. 

But he is an all star and "If you want to play you have to pay."  If memory serves me correct, the Four final teams in the playoffs last year were the four teams with the highest payrolls.  We have Bamba and Isaac on rookie deals for the next 3 or so years.  So you can, if creative, afford two max or close to max players plus Gordon.  To do that you must go into the luxury tax.  So to get to the top you have to be creative and willing to take risks.  At least going after Butler, even if it fails, would be a sign we are willing to risk.  Leonard did not list Toronto as a destination but they made it happen.  Hope we, at least, try!