magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

Hopefully we can sign...a big free agent next season.  The Magic should show some great improvement this year.  

Some local news.  A new complex in that empty ugly lot is coming.  I wondered what would be placed in that empty slot.  It made our downtown look like a abandoned scooby doo ghost town....not that it doesn't look like that sometimes.  

4 hours ago, ~O~ said:

Hopefully we can sign...a big free agent next season.  The Magic should show some great improvement this year.  

I don’t see any reason to expect great improvement.  

In the past few years the Magic haven’t been worth watching after January.  My benchmark for success this year is that there’s still some interest heading into March.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The site below ranks players by perimeter defense, interior defense, and total defense.  Not surprising to see Augustine ranked the 34th worst and Fournier the 44th worst.  Oladipo is ranked the best perimeter defender, and Jonathan Isaac ranked 13th in total defense in limited minutes.  

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2018/04/19/anthony-davis-rates-as-the-nbas-best-defender-in-2017-18/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

The site below ranks players by perimeter defense, interior defense, and total defense.  Not surprising to see Augustine ranked the 34th worst and Fournier the 44th worst.  Oladipo is ranked the best perimeter defender, and Jonathan Isaac ranked 13th in total defense in limited minutes.  

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2018/04/19/anthony-davis-rates-as-the-nbas-best-defender-in-2017-18/

I'm not sure that metric is worth anything after reading the methodology. 

And the results are kind of screwy when you consider Buddy Hield ranks higher in the perimeter defense metric than giannis or Draymond green or Gary Harris or Marcus Smart. 

Finally!  I love computers and hate computers.  Had to do a full restore mid August and could not access my favorite site until today.  Missed a month's worth of info. HP laptop and their help desk was a joke trying to fix it.  At one point they had me take a screen picture and send it to them.  Then said we give up and take it somewhere.  I took out the battery and hit one button and the computer came right back up.   Taken a month to fix everything.  Thank God it is during the slowest part of the NBA season.  Now I am back.  Halleluyeh!  Will take a while to catch up.  Getting ready for training camp.  Basketball Insiders preview pretty much has us as 4th (one guy had us third echoing Clifford's "why not us" motto)  with lots of good for the future.  Anyway time to get back to work reading posts.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ~O~ said:

Some local news.  A new complex in that empty ugly lot is coming.  I wondered what would be placed in that empty slot.  It made our downtown look like a abandoned scooby doo ghost town....not that it doesn't look like that sometimes.  

Good move here to increase attractability of a superstar free agent.  What I have read indicates to me that our FO's plan (and I like it) for free agency acquisition will not be next summer but the following summer.   Seems to work out better financially and maybe even competition wise.  Next summer both Philly and the Lakers and I am sure will have max money that will attract the top FA's before we are looked at.  In addition I think it will take a couple of years with B.I.G. playing together to make us look like a possible contender.  And maybe we will add another piece to the puzzle in next year's draft.  So I am good for the summer of 2020 with regards to FA.  I think it sets up better to get a superstar.  Kemba Walker would be the one guy I would think about getting next year, if possible.  Other than that I wait.

The proposed trade is Vooch to the Lakers for KCP and 2020 and 2021 2nd round picks.  The writer doesn't mention KCP can't be traded until December 15, or that he would have to waive his Bird rights.

Landing Nikola Vucevic instantly gives the Purple and Gold the prototypical big man they’ve been yearning for. Given his ability to space the floor, rebound the basketball, and post up, he’ll be a solid fit alongside Ball, James, or Rondo, who will find him for easy baskets off the pick and roll.

Additionally, after averaging almost a steal and a block for his seven-year career, Vuc’s defense is underrated and he does a good enough job of protecting the paint. Think of him as a slightly quicker and younger version of Brook Lopez.

Moreover, sending away Kentavious Caldwell-Pope solidifies the young Ingram as the starting shooting guard and Kuzma as their premier small forward. Giving both these young guns the opportunities to grow, in spite of LBJ’s arrival, should also be a priority for Coach Luke Walton.

As for the Magic, ridding themselves of last season’s starting center means they’re going all-in on Bamba as their big man of the future. His never-before-seen mixture of blocking shots, outside shooting, length, and sprinting the floor has other executives salivate at this potential. Still, he is widely considered a project and will need all the playing time he can handle to evolve offensively and get acclimated to the professional game.

Adding KCP also has its positives. After shooting a career-high 38.3% from the great beyond last season, he should be ready to take on a larger offensive role. His outside snipping will be a welcome addition to a team that only made 35.1% from three, good for 28th in the league, and is in dire need of floor spacers.

The former Piston also brings in a wealth of experience that should help create a strong learning culture for a young organization. Though the Magic are not yet seen as contenders in the East, this deal will allow them to be more competitive and make a bigger splash next season.

This may not be the landscape-altering, earth-shattering deal fans of each franchise are hoping for, but after careful analysis, its effectivity cannot be questioned. Each team fills a need while squeezing out more opportunities for their young players. Ultimately, this helps them in a short-term, while setting them up nicely for the future.

At the very least, this should be a transaction both the Lakers and the Magic explore.

https://clutchpoints.com/perfect-nikola-vucevic-trade-involving-the-lakers/

4 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

The proposed trade is Vooch to the Lakers for KCP and 2020 and 2021 2nd round picks.  The writer doesn't mention KCP can't be traded until December 15, or that he would have to waive his Bird rights.

He wouldn't have to waive his bird rights. Bird rights are a team thing. 

He does effectively have a no trade clause though

18 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

This guy is clueless about Vuc. Good defender? Lmao!

• Like 1