magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

9 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I didn’t say it was no big deal. I said it’s what should be expected. If he went beyond this then that would be (amazing). His goal should not be the first billionaire. It should be to benefit society to the point that money shouldn’t be the driving factor. 

What does going "beyond this" mean?  What is your cutoff for an intervention that would be worthy of credit?

Sorry double post. 

My definition of going beyond is most definitely taking care of people in your community to the point of almost going broke, not coming close to the billionaire status. That should not be your goal. 

21 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I didn’t say it was no big deal. I said it’s what should be expected. If he went beyond this then that would be (amazing). His goal should not be the first billionaire. It should be to benefit society to the point that money shouldn’t be the driving factor. 

That's kind of an unreasonable expectation to place on someone. 

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

That's kind of an unreasonable expectation to place on someone. 

BS. If you are one of of the  top .01%. Richest. Yes that Should be your responsibility. Of course people are greedy and it’s not the norm but it dam well should be. 

We should not expect people who have gained riches beyond any sane amount, what exactly? Nothing? That’s what it is and how’s our society doing?  Yeah I thought so. 

So... LeBron has done more for his home community than any athlete I’ve ever seen before... and he should do more? You’re like Ty Lue after his 51/8/8 Finals game.

Look, I really despise LeBron on the court, but off the court he is giving back more than anybody could ever ask or expect of him and I have nothing but respect for that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

BS. If you are one of of the  top .01%. Richest. Yes that Should be your responsibility. Of course people are greedy and it’s not the norm but it dam well should be. 

We should not expect people who have gained riches beyond any sane amount, what exactly? Nothing? That’s what it is and how’s our society doing?  Yeah I thought so. 

I think there's a difference between encouraging people to spend money to benefit society and expecting it. 

Like I regularly donate to a variety of institutions that I value but I'm not making a value judgement against similar people who don't. 

Either way it's an absurd stance that LeBron doesn't deserve praise for doing things that benefit society because of an expectation. 

I come for basketball talk.  I know nothing about James investments that resulted in him making his money.  However, from an economic standpoint it is impossible to amass that kind of money without creating employment and improving a community.  My wild guess is that a true evaluation of his entrepreneurial efforts would demonstrate that his financial impact on communities would be far more than the value of his personal fortune and the number of lives improved would be staggering.         

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Not incredible. It should be expected in a society where the extremely fortunate take care of the incredibly unfortunate. If this society values life. 

Morally? Sure I guess, kinda.  Legally? No way.  

I'm not saying you made this suggestion, just adding $0.02

Would you consider yourself to be successful thus far? What do you do for society? I personally find it more impactful when those that aren't (yet) successful or struggling through life find a way to give back to society.  The uber rich do more for society than most shmucks know, they just don't have the vanity to point it out every time they do something.  Usually.  

44 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Either way it's an absurd stance that LeBron doesn't deserve praise for doing things that benefit society because of an expectation. 

This reasoning is exactly why many who are in a position to do the things previously mentioned don't ever publicize it.  Darned if they do, darned if they don't.  

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I think there's a difference between encouraging people to spend money to benefit society and expecting it. 

Like I regularly donate to a variety of institutions that I value but I'm not making a value judgement against similar people who don't. 

I am not putting down Lebrons effort and I am not singling him out. And this is my last statement on the matter. When half the population of US households average 30000$ and there are a very few who have amassed wealth in the billions. Then yes they should feel obligated to help society on a Massive scale. If not then they should be forced to yes legally. The difference between the haves and have nots is getting exponentially wider and is not sustainable imo. 

Btw. I hope Isaac has a break out year. Lol.