magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

10 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Very quiet here...

Vuc to Raptors in not far off. They want to add another big guy and are hiring someone with the midlevel will cost them too much due to the luxury tax. They have shown interest in Monroe but dont see Monroe signing for the less that midlevel. 

Trading for Vuc is surely a great option to stay away from paying more luxury tax. 

I was chilling in Spain but now it's back to the daily grind 

Fran Vazquez just signed another deal in Spain. Here’s a question for the board: The night of that infamous draft in 2005 when we picked him, where were you?

8 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I was chilling in Spain but now it's back to the daily grind 

Love Spain. Going back again in December. 

7 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Fran Vazquez just signed another deal in Spain. Here’s a question for the board: The night of that infamous draft in 2005 when we picked him, where were you?

I was in Gainesville and remember the disappointment. Somehow, I knew he was not coming. 

I was a little scare as well when we selected Mario. 

• Like 1

Choosing between the top floor generals the Association has to offer is a nearly impossible endeavor, as their skill sets are all so dissimilar.

Some are sharpshooters who prefer to play off the ball, while others can also make it rain from deep, but prefer doing so with the rock in their hands from the beginning of possessions. Certain top point guards take pride in their defense, others are forced to hide on lesser offensive players. Some top lead guards are ball-handling maestros, while others don’t need to get creative with their dribbles since they’re such athletic monsters they can blow by any defender.

Regardless, a ranking of this kind is sure to ruffle feathers; no matter how obvious the totem pole of top floor generals may appear to some, there will always be others who disagree, whether it be due team-centered biases or whatever else.

At the end of the day, that’s the beauty of basketball fandom: We can see things differently from each other while agreeing that all of these players are incredible to behold on a nightly basis.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/07/29/nba-projections-top-30-point-guards-stephen-curry-russell-westbrook/

Ranking the top 30 point guards for next season.  Not surprising to see no one from the Magic on the list.

Too bad he's still not setting as good of an example for kids as Steve Harvey.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Oh, P-L-E-A-SE!  I would say that Steve Harvey or Tyler Perry would be more of role models for black kids. LeBron has never been homeless. Both Tyler Perry and Steve Harvey have been HOMELESS and worked their way out of it, including giving and sponsoring organizations to help young people to be successful.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, TrueMagicFan07 said:

A few years ago, LeBron said that he wanted to be the first billionaire athlete--not the first billionaire athlete/humanitarian.

What role model talks about making that much money. You show by example.

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Too bad he's still not setting as good of an example for kids as Steve Harvey.

Can't agree with you on this. Investing his own money in at-risk youth in his home community is an incredible use of some of his money and an amazing example, regardless of anything else. I'm not sure why/what effect the fact he has never been homeless has on it. Is it supposed to lessen the impact and/or generosity? He is not my favorite player, and I haven't always agreed with his basketball choices, but let's give the man his due. Regardless of what you think of him from a sports perspective, this is still a pretty impressive, generous, and selfless action on the part of Lebron and his foundation. 

1 minute ago, jmmagicfan said:

Can't agree with you on this. Investing his own money in at-risk youth in his home community is an incredible use of some of his money and an amazing example, regardless of anything else. I'm not sure why/what effect the fact he has never been homeless has on it. Is it supposed to lessen the impact and/or generosity? He is not my favorite player, and I haven't always agreed with his basketball choices, but let's give the man his due. Regardless of what you think of him from a sports perspective, this is still a pretty impressive, generous, and selfless action on the part of Lebron and his foundation. 

My post was dripping with sarcasm and not my own views.  I agree with you.

7 minutes ago, ML6 said:

My post was dripping with sarcasm and not my own views.  I agree with you.

Sorry about that, didn't really get the sarcasm. I also somehow missed that it was a multi-quote of TMF7's reaction. 

4 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Sorry about that, didn't really get the sarcasm. I also somehow missed that it was a multi-quote of TMF7's reaction. 

Yeah in hindsight I only wrote one sentence of my own so "dripping with sarcasm" is a mischaracterization.  But yeah, I think it is an unbelievable achievement and commitment.  I find people who denigrate LeBron as a person simply because they don't like his behavior on a basketball court to be narrow-minded.  This is a public school that he worked to open so that less fortunate kids can have a safe place to learn and have fun -- incredible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

Yeah in hindsight I only wrote one sentence of my own so "dripping with sarcasm" is a mischaracterization.  But yeah, I think it is an unbelievable achievement and commitment.  I find people who denigrate LeBron as a person simply because they don't like his behavior on a basketball court to be narrow-minded.  This is a public school that he worked to open so that less fortunate kids can have a safe place to learn and have fun -- incredible. 

Not incredible. It should be expected in a society where the extremely fortunate take care of the incredibly unfortunate. If this society values life. 

2 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Not incredible. It should be expected in a society where the extremely fortunate take care of the incredibly unfortunate. If this society values life. 

Isn't that exactly what makes it amazing -- that he actually did something?  The expectation you described is ideal, but as you're alluding to, not often enacted.  Based on your point that rich people should be doing stuff like this, but generally don't, doesn't it make it all the more impactful to see someone actually use their wealth this way?

It's a pretty jaded reaction to scoff and say it's no big deal that those poor kids now have this opportunity.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Isn't that exactly what makes it amazing -- that he actually did something?  The expectation you described is ideal, but as you're alluding to, not often enacted.  Based on your point that rich people should be doing stuff like this, but generally don't, doesn't it make it all the more impactful to see someone actually use their wealth this way?

It's a pretty jaded reaction to scoff and say it's no big deal that those poor kids now have this opportunity.

I didn’t say it was no big deal. I said it’s what should be expected. If he went beyond this then that would be (amazing). His goal should not be the first billionaire. It should be to benefit society to the point that money shouldn’t be the driving factor.