magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

15 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

What a great story.  The human side of a game we love.  If someone has a Magic connection they should get this story to them.  Magic should "give" HeHateMe a Bamba jersey.  And I doubt HeHateMe would think that but I do.  THat is how you take care of fans.

So as I've stated before, I live in the Bay Area. Born and raised. and currently living here. But back from 2008 to 2013 I was living in Tennessee. In 2009, my parents were gonna send me to game 6 of the ECF for my b'day but couldn't get a ticket. Obviously, I missed a great game lol.

So in 2010 they sent me to game 5 of the ECF against Boston. It was a dream come true because growing up in California, I was never able to go to a Magic home game. Only away games when they played the Warriors or Kings. Anyways, I was finally going to a Magic home game.

I posted my story on these forums and how I was making the drive from Nashville to Orlando. Someone asked where my seats were, and i answered not thinking anything of it. Well, long story short, some cheerleaders came to my seat to meet me, told me someone with the Magic read my story, and they wanted to say thank you, and gave me a bag full of Magic merchandise and memorabilia. T-shirts, figures, posters, etc. I was floored!

To this day, even tho the Magic lost the series (but won that game), even tho I was in Atlanta for the NFC Championship  to watch my 49ers go to the Super Bowl, being there for Navorro Bowman's interception to close down the last 49ers game at Candlestick, the 49ers huge comeback in the wildcard against the Giants, and countless other great sports experiences that I was there for, that night remains the single greatest night of my life as a sports fan. To finally live my dream of seeing a Magic home game at the Orena, the Magic WINNING a great game in the playoffs, AND the organization itself recognizing me and thanking me for my fandom. On top of the fact that it ended up being the last game ever at the Orena. Great night.

15 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Calling it. Simmons and iwundu for Powell and wright

How do you think Powell does in an expanded role? He has impressed me in the past...

19 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

How good is Wright?

He just turned 26 but has steadily improved every season with increasing minutes 

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

How good is Wright?

He's a really good bet to be the next bench point guard who turns into a high end starter a la Dragic and Lowry. He's a really good fit too

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Calling it. Simmons and iwundu for Powell and wright

How does that deal work? Don't the salaries have to match, since we are over the cap?

1 minute ago, jmmagicfan said:

How does that deal work? Don't the salaries have to match, since we are over the cap?

No you have wiggle room

18 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

How do you think Powell does in an expanded role? He has impressed me in the past...

I don't really know. He's an NBA player though. He's just an avenue to get Wright for me without sacrificing too much depth

Hmmm. Is Delon Wright a better Jerian Grant, at least when it comes to scheme? I haven't really seen either of them play, but they have similar size and similar stats. 

Also, Powell's contract would really tie us down for the next 4 years.

While we'd be getting the best player in the deal, I think Toronto would have to throw in a pick as well- a very protected 1st or even a second, but something a little extra as we are basically hurting our cap space especially 2 years from now when we could possibly be going after a max guy.

Plus Simmons and Kawhi seem to be friends- so bringing Simmons over to Toronto could be beneficial to them in that way.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I thought the "wiggle room" was only about $150K, the difference here is almost $4M?

It's successful: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yat246dj

Weird that the trade machine thinks this would make Toronto better, but us worse.

I would be more concerned about the impact this could have on our cap 2 years from now.

2 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I thought the "wiggle room" was only about $150K, the difference here is almost $4M?

No. 

Outgoing salary Maximum incoming salary
$0 to $6,533,333 175% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,0005
$6,533,334 to $19.6 million The outgoing salary plus $5 million5
$19.6 million and up 125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000

Taxpaying teams can take back up to 125%