magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

25 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

How are we better? 

We never upgraded the PG spot. Vuch is still gonna start. 

Our players are better than their players. A good amount of their quality bench guys aren't on the team anymore. They might have the worst defensive starters at 3 positions. 

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

How are we better? 

We never upgraded the PG spot. Vuch is still gonna start. 

You do know that they are most likely starting Dunn who is at best about equivalent to Augustin.

And there is a decent chance Lopez gets a decent amount of minutes at center for them.

And that they have minus defenders all over their line-up.

I don't think the talent level is necessarily huge (we will have to see what Gordon and Isaac look like when the season starts. I think their potential improvements will have the greatest effect upon the team), but I think we clearly have the better team as currently constituted.

7 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

I’ll get a discussion going. 

Who wins more games next year Magic or Bulls? (explain yourself) 

Note: This is assuming both teams are healthy for the sake of debate. 

Bulls. Much better balance on that roster. Arguably better players overall

I think you guys need to listen to Zach Lowe discuss the bulls on his most recent podcast.

1. He doesn't get why people are saying they're going to be good offensively. Doesn't think that team is going to be a top 12 offensive team. Lavine and jabari can both score but they aren't really good points per possession players. That's going to prevent them from being above average on offense. 

2. "Lavine and jabari aren't bad on defense, they're comically bad on defense. Lavine is bad. Jabari is clueless... As bad a defensive player as I've seen in the NBA... If you're 28, 29, 30 on defense and don't have LeBron it's going to be hard to win against anybody."

Any thoughts on if/who else we might want to add to this roster? I was thinking maybe a $3M/1 year offer to Quincy Acy? Or a $12.5M/2 year offer to Rodney Hood? Those would just about finish off our MLE and BAE, but should still keep us under the cap. I don't think Purvis is guaranteed yet, and after Iwundu's performance in Summer League, I'm not sure if he is worth keeping around. Figuring Isaac is going to swing between 3/4, and Frazier is probably going to spend a lot of time in Lakeland, I think this brings a little better balance to the team if we could get them.

Augustin/Grant/Briscoe

Ross/Hood/Simmons

Fournier/Isaac/Simmons/Hood

Gordon/Isaac/Acy

Vucevic/Bamba/Birch/Mozgov  (ease Bamba into starting - maybe January to "shake up" any mid-season doldrums)

Just now, jmmagicfan said:

Any thoughts on if/who else we might want to add to this roster? I was thinking maybe a $3M/1 year offer to Quincy Acy? Or a $12.5/2 year offer to Rodney Hood? Those would just about finish off our MLE and BAE, but should still keep us under the cap. I don't think Purvis is guaranteed yet, and after Iwundu's performance in Summer League, I'm not sure if he is worth keeping around. Figuring Isaac is going to swing between 3/4, and Frazier is probably going to spend a lot of time in Lakeland, I think this brings a little better balance to the team if we could get them.

Augustin/Grant/Briscoe

Ross/Hood/Simmons

Fournier/Isaac/Simmons/Hood

Gordon/Isaac/Acy

Vucevic/Bamba/Birch/Mozgov  (ease Bamba into starting - maybe January to "shake up" any mid-season doldrums)

I think we're done in free agency. We have a small hole at third string pf. We might make trades but it doesn't really make sense to add hood and we especially don't want to add money next summer on what's probably our 4th best wing. 

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think you guys need to listen to Zach Lowe discuss the bulls on his most recent podcast.

1. He doesn't get why people are saying they're going to be good offensively. Doesn't think that team is going to be a top 12 offensive team. Lavine and jabari can both score but they aren't really good points per possession players. That's going to prevent them from being above average on offense. 

2. "Lavine and jabari aren't bad on defense, they're comically bad on defense. Lavine is bad. Jabari is clueless... As bad a defensive player as I've seen in the NBA... If you're 28, 29, 30 on defense and don't have LeBron it's going to be hard to win against anybody."

The thing is, their main scorers have middling efficiencies. Our players generally match or exceed their efficiency while also, generally again, being able to play defense.