magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

39 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Dunn/Lavine/Parker/markeanan/carter lineup looks pretty interesting. 

agreed. I'm interested in the potential. That defense though....oof. 

15 hours ago, The Boss said:

Are you saying that building a whole offense around one of the worst defenders in the league, one of the smallest players in the league, who is going to play one of the most selfish seasons of basketball in NBA history, who will most likely be at our club for one season, has nothing negative about it? That's not even taking into account his injury.

All our players have to waste a season learning to play with a PG in the mold of a near polar opposite PG that we want running our team. Pass.

I've already gone in depth as to why I wanted Isaiah and why he would be perfect here.

But here's to another year of counting on Gordon and Fournier to be the top 2 scoring options, taking on more responsibility than they are capable of, and wasting away another season in obscurity because we refuse to bring in talent when we have the chance.

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

He's a slightly better/younger/cheaper Shelvin Mack. Don't get carried away

But he's much, much more physically gifted than Mack. Dude is super-athletic. And last year he showed tremendous strides as a passer. Offensively, Grant, if he doesn't take another step forward, if a better Mack. But he's a very gifted athlete who is already one of the best on-ball defenders in the league at the guard spot. Mack topped out as a good backup because he didn't have the size, quickness, speed, and athleticism to overcome his shortcomings as a shooter on offense, and defensively he's only just above average with lateral movement. Grant has those things at elite levels. He's basically an elite athlete guard who lacks the skills to be elite offensively. It's why he's so intriguing to me. Skills can be learned, acquired, built up. I think he has the mentality to make a jump, if anyone does. He really could surprise people.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

But he's much, much more physically gifted than Mack. Dude is super-athletic. And last year he showed tremendous strides as a passer. Offensively, Grant, if he doesn't take another step forward, if a better Mack. But he's a very gifted athlete who is already one of the best on-ball defenders in the league at the guard spot. Mack topped out as a good backup because he didn't have the size, quickness, speed, and athleticism to overcome his shortcomings as a shooter on offense, and defensively he's only just above average with lateral movement. Grant has those things at elite levels. He's basically an elite athlete guard who lacks the skills to be elite offensively. It's why he's so intriguing to me. Skills can be learned, acquired, built up. I think he has the mentality to make a jump, if anyone does. He really could surprise people.

Nah. Grant isn't an elite defender. None of the defensive metrics support that. 

The expectations for Grant should be a pretty solid backup. Nothing more. 

18 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Nah. Grant isn't an elite defender. None of the defensive metrics support that. 

The expectations for Grant should be a pretty solid backup. Nothing more. 

None? Is this a useless metric?

Contesting shots when coming over screens is another one of Grant’s defensive fortes. In fact, opponents shot just 22.7 percent from the field (44 attempts) with Grant as the closest defender in these situations – that ranked No. 1 in the entire league (at least 40 shot attempts).

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/film-room-jerian-grants-defensive-abilities-20180712