magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, magicdoc1 said:

Because you say so? 

That is the reality my friend. I never said it was a good idea. I said that is how Atlanta Feels.  I think Your value on Vuc in not near close to reality. 

You said you liked the trade, and also said you weren't sure if ATL would do it unless we added a first round pick to the trade.  How I value Nik is irrelevant to the topic, though my view of him is best described as indifferent.  Regardless, its a terrible return to begin with, especially when you consider the potential legal trouble.  It's not well thought out.  

7 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Thanks Rock Legends. I know that he didn't look like a new guy just entering the NBA.

Hey! . . .as some mentioned last night, most of the Phoenix SL participants played for the Suns last year. I remember checking out Phoenix message board when Elfrid was traded to the Suns, and last night I remembered seeing many of them playing in games last year .

Who did the Magic have that played for us last year?

Isaac, Iwandu (sp?) . . .who else?

With the addition of Cooley and Ayton, and a few other good shooters, it makes sense that the Suns were the better team last night. 

Purvis and Birch played for us as well.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/7/11/17559878/jonathan-isaac-summer-league-star?__twitter_impression=true

“I actually had Isaac as the no. 1 prospect last year,” one Eastern Conference executive told me. “That might end up being wrong given how well [Jayson] Tatum and [Donovan] Mitchell played, but there’s no denying his talent.”

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

I was not and am not a fan of Dwight Howard after the Dwightmare, but I read over this article and believe he has taken a new leave starting in Charlotte. More open to the idea of him finishing his career here.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/19/dwight-howard-hornets-magic-lakers-james-harden-kobe-bryant

This is almost identical to the story about him leaving Atlanta for Charlotte and him going home to Atlanta from Houston. He's not changed he just knows what people want to hear

Edit: I just went back and looked at the date and it is that same story from last year lol. 

10 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I was not and am not a fan of Dwight Howard after the Dwightmare, but I read over this article and believe he has taken a new leave starting in Charlotte. More open to the idea of him finishing his career here.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/19/dwight-howard-hornets-magic-lakers-james-harden-kobe-bryant

Time to turn that page. Mo bamba 

15 hours ago, Miller4Prez66 said:

What are we paying these guys for? They’ve barely done anything but make draft selections since getting hired. 

As much as I am disappointed in them for walking away from Isaiah Thomas... I'm not sure exactly what else they were supposed to do up to this point other than make draft selections?

Hennigan destroyed this franchise. I'm not kidding when I say I consider him the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. I totally get that he walked into the Dwightmare, but to be fair, John Weisbrod and later, Otis Smith, walked into the same situation with Tracy McGrady leaving. However, Weisbrod (and again, Otis Smith later down the line) turned that rebuild into quite possibly the best roster this franchise has ever assembled. At this point after losing Tracy McGrady, we already had to ECF appearances and an NBA Finals appearance in our pocket. Because of Hennigan, we haven't even sniffed an 8th seed.

Hennigan absolutely refused to sign talent. It's like he was repulsed by talent. Instead of taking chances on actual talent, he ruined our cap space by giving big time $$$ to guys like Evan Fournier and Bismack Biyombo. On top of other somewhat largeish contracts to DJ Augustine, Nikola Vucevic, and Terrence Ross, this team has a playoff level payroll with less than playoff level talent. So we can't go out and actually get anybody.

Which is one reason why I was such a proponent of Isaiah Thomas... he is a talent that can carry us to the playoffs at a fraction of the cost. But that aside...

We have no assets to make trades with. We don't have the kind of assets that would be necessary to trade for a top talent. If we were able to pull of a move like that, it would guy our roster to the point that having that talent would mean nothing. Assets that we did have, Hennigan aimlessly traded them away (Oladipo, Harris)

We have no cap space to sign significant talent. So we have to wait out all of these contracts to expire so we can have cap space to start surrounding our young core of Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba with talent.

The scary thing about this is, by the time we finally get our team to a point where we can start supplementing our young talent, guys like Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba are gonna be nearing free agency again so we are going to have to sign free agents AND extend our existing talent.

My disappointment in Isaiah Thomas aside, and my negative perspective of the Biyombo trade aside (I don't think that trade actually did anything to make us better or put us in a better position in the short or long term), I'm not sure what else these guys were supposed to do the past year and this off-season? There's just not a lot of options for them on the table at the moment. Literally, drafting is the only option they have at their disposal right now.

But I definitely do like the Bamba pick. Jury is still out for me on the Isaac pick. I love him in NBA 2K18 lol. But in the NBA, he's just too young and last year missed too much time to have an educated opinion on him right now. But I'm optimistic that he'll end up having been a good pick too.

Outside of the Biyombo trade and not signing Thomas, they haven't done anything that I wouldn't do as GM. Basically, I feel like the plan is - and should be - build up around a developing Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba, and when the time is right, bring in one star talent to supplement them and lead them. That would hopefully be enough to put this team over.

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

No thanks. Hard pass on Dwight.

Oh hennigan wasn't that bad. 

This goes back to the spoiled magic fan. Rebuilds are very easy when you start them with a generational player. It provides focus and direction from day 1. 

We're the example Zach Lowe loves to use to argue against blowing things up. It's great when you get embiid and Simmons. But if you tank the wrong year and end up with oladipo and find Harris and Fournier and vucevic and suddenly you find yourself with a bunch of nice pieces that don't really move the needle and you're struggling to figure out how to build because nobody gives you any confidence to go forward with. So you then switch to desperation mode. 

If we (and ownership) were more patient with the rebuild hennigan would have worked out fine. 

Weltman and Hammond will run into the same problem if they aren't allowed to be patient as well.