Jump to content
magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

?4thewin    1,724
12 minutes ago, chosen12 said:

When you say bad fits, I am certain you included bad contracts coming back this way, that historically destroyed any future cap space as well! 

The way I see this FO moving is, incrementally removing the anchors and installing the sails, although not giant steps, but steps forward !! I like it! 

It's just, theoretically (or maybe optimistically), we have 3 long term starting spots locked up. We need a fourth. We need to make sure that's the right guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chosen12    56
3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It's just, theoretically (or maybe optimistically), we have 3 long term starting spots locked up. We need a fourth. We need to make sure that's the right guy

Absolutely! Now, I just read somewhere that with the Vuc and TRoss contracts expiring, along with rookie contract of Grant 2.9 mil, we may have close to 30 Million in cap space going into 2019? 

What does your estimates reflect? If that is the case, this FO is just positioning us to swing for the fences in 2019, don't you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
?4thewin    1,724
2 minutes ago, chosen12 said:

Absolutely! Now, I just read somewhere that with the Vuc and TRoss contracts expiring, along with rookie contract of Grant 2.9 mil, we may have close to 30 Million in cap space going into 2019? 

What does your estimates reflect? If that is the case, this FO is just positioning us to swing for the fences in 2019, don't you think?

I haven't done the math now that we have Gordon salary numbers. I'll figure that out tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Franchise408    65
12 minutes ago, chosen12 said:

Absolutely! Now, I just read somewhere that with the Vuc and TRoss contracts expiring, along with rookie contract of Grant 2.9 mil, we may have close to 30 Million in cap space going into 2019? 

What does your estimates reflect? If that is the case, this FO is just positioning us to swing for the fences in 2019, don't you think?

If my #'s are correct, I believe Ross and Vuc combine for around $22 mill. Plus Grant puts us at around $25 mill. In addition to whatever we would normally have left over. So far as I know, your estimate of close to $30 is accuratish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chosen12    56
11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I haven't done the math now that we have Gordon salary numbers. I'll figure that out tomorrow

Excellent, additionally they added the decreasing  scale of AG's contact in there as well. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Jaudon    157
1 minute ago, chosen12 said:

Absolutely! Now, I just read somewhere that with the Vuc and TRoss contracts expiring, along with rookie contract of Grant 2.9 mil, we may have close to 30 Million in cap space going into 2019? 

What does your estimates reflect? If that is the case, this FO is just positioning us to swing for the fences in 2019, don't you think?

To keep the baseball terminology, I don't think this FO is planning to swing for the fences unless someone puts an easy one over the plate. Unless some big name falls in our laps for some weird reason, I doubt we're setting up for a big spending spree.

Why? Because Victor Oladipo, that's why. We traded Dipo because we didn't want to pay him. We had the cap space, but Hennigan wasn't confident in his own build (because there wasn't a good plan in place, a team concept beyond 'good player' who can't shoot). So he tried to swing for the fences and lost what turned out to be his best talent. The great thing about consistently hitting singles is that when you do hit a home run, the bases are often loaded.

Take the Isaac pick last year. I didn't like it. It was safe. In a vacuum, I still think DSJ might be the BPA at that point. But I didn't understand how this management team works, then. I'm starting to, I think. See, DSJ might have been the BPA, the swing for the fences pick I would have liked. But he didn't fit what the FO was looking for. So they just got contact, as they say. Singled out, maybe doubled, with Isaac. But with Gordon already on base, we had now two on. Bamba makes it three on. With the bases loaded, you don't swing at everything that comes to you. You wait for it. Maybe this trade is a single, and we get a run in (maybe Jerian turns out to be a solid starter). Maybe it's a foul down the line, and we stay at bat. But we're not swinging at Isaiah Thomas, because that's not what the FO is looking for. Going for Isaiah Thomas at this point is like trying to take a slider yard when we're looking for it high and over the plate. Sure, maybe we get good contact and bring everyone in. More likely we fly out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magicman28    248
21 minutes ago, chosen12 said:

Absolutely! Now, I just read somewhere that with the Vuc and TRoss contracts expiring, along with rookie contract of Grant 2.9 mil, we may have close to 30 Million in cap space going into 2019? 

What does your estimates reflect? If that is the case, this FO is just positioning us to swing for the fences in 2019, don't you think?

Lol swing for the fences. Have you looked at the list of free agents in 2019?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chosen12    56
5 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

If my #'s are correct, I believe Ross and Vuc combine for around $22 mill. Plus Grant puts us at around $25 mill. In addition to whatever we would normally have left over. So far as I know, your estimate of close to $30 is accuratish.

They also used the decreasing amount of AG's contract in there as well! 

 ACCURATISH? LOL!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Lol swing for the fences. Have you looked at the list of free agents in 2019?

I mean, we could finally wind up with Kemba...

also, we “could” swing for Klay or Kyrie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DirtDan2012    93

We're at a point now where we need to develop the young players that we've drafted. It's gonna take 2 to 3 years before we're really making a real attempt to somewhat compete in the East. Hopefully the product looks better then what we've had in the past. Unfortunately it now looks like another year with Vuc starting which is painful defensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chosen12    56
4 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

To keep the baseball terminology, I don't think this FO is planning to swing for the fences unless someone puts an easy one over the plate. Unless some big name falls in our laps for some weird reason, I doubt we're setting up for a big spending spree.

Why? Because Victor Oladipo, that's why. We traded Dipo because we didn't want to pay him. We had the cap space, but Hennigan wasn't confident in his own build (because there wasn't a good plan in place, a team concept beyond 'good player' who can't shoot). So he tried to swing for the fences and lost what turned out to be his best talent. The great thing about consistently hitting singles is that when you do hit a home run, the bases are often loaded.

Take the Isaac pick last year. I didn't like it. It was safe. In a vacuum, I still think DSJ might be the BPA at that point. But I didn't understand how this management team works, then. I'm starting to, I think. See, DSJ might have been the BPA, the swing for the fences pick I would have liked. But he didn't fit what the FO was looking for. So they just got contact, as they say. Singled out, maybe doubled, with Isaac. But with Gordon already on base, we had now two on. Bamba makes it three on. With the bases loaded, you don't swing at everything that comes to you. You wait for it. Maybe this trade is a single, and we get a run in (maybe Jerian turns out to be a solid starter). Maybe it's a foul down the line, and we stay at bat. But we're not swinging at Isaiah Thomas, because that's not what the FO is looking for. Going for Isaiah Thomas at this point is like trying to take a slider yard when we're looking for it high and over the plate. Sure, maybe we get good contact and bring everyone in. More likely we fly out.

Well Sir, I do understand how you have come to your determination(s) here, but what I think is missing is that the bad deals such as the VO trade that brought back a Serge Ebaka that did not care to be here in the end!

Reversing the Biz contract even in the slightest amount is, in my estimation a win. Now Sir, if at the end of this season, we are in the area of 30 mill in cap space, I would further suggest that we are in a far better place than what the previous management team would have left us.

Now add to that a team/player friendly contract with AG, and the blueprint that the current FO has set in place........ looks great to me, I can't wait to see what these minds do when they have real $$ to spend.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CTMagicUK    270
11 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

To keep the baseball terminology, I don't think this FO is planning to swing for the fences unless someone puts an easy one over the plate. Unless some big name falls in our laps for some weird reason, I doubt we're setting up for a big spending spree.

Why? Because Victor Oladipo, that's why. We traded Dipo because we didn't want to pay him. We had the cap space, but Hennigan wasn't confident in his own build (because there wasn't a good plan in place, a team concept beyond 'good player' who can't shoot). So he tried to swing for the fences and lost what turned out to be his best talent. The great thing about consistently hitting singles is that when you do hit a home run, the bases are often loaded.

Take the Isaac pick last year. I didn't like it. It was safe. In a vacuum, I still think DSJ might be the BPA at that point. But I didn't understand how this management team works, then. I'm starting to, I think. See, DSJ might have been the BPA, the swing for the fences pick I would have liked. But he didn't fit what the FO was looking for. So they just got contact, as they say. Singled out, maybe doubled, with Isaac. But with Gordon already on base, we had now two on. Bamba makes it three on. With the bases loaded, you don't swing at everything that comes to you. You wait for it. Maybe this trade is a single, and we get a run in (maybe Jerian turns out to be a solid starter). Maybe it's a foul down the line, and we stay at bat. But we're not swinging at Isaiah Thomas, because that's not what the FO is looking for. Going for Isaiah Thomas at this point is like trying to take a slider yard when we're looking for it high and over the plate. Sure, maybe we get good contact and bring everyone in. More likely we fly out.

I upvoted this because you were totally committed to the metaphor and it made sense and was a good point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×