Jump to content
magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Odin said:

1. We don’t need the PG position fixed this year. They just need to be serviceable and give us different looks. We can address it next year if we aren’t able to this year.

2. Mozgov is most likely only getting injury minutes, unless someone else is traded. He doesn’t really matter to the rotation.

That is beside the point. This move doesn't do anything for the future. I don't dislike it but it was more of a lateral move. This move doesn’t placed us in any better financial position to go after another PG next year. 

1. I dont entirely disagree with your point here as I think Grant is decent enough to be possible our future back up PG. Like I said before, I dont think we are done if we are truly considering going after another PG next year. We need to create more cap space. 

2. Exactly my point. 16 millions on a guy that will not be on our rotation is pretty much a Lateral move. In my opinion, Biz and 2 second rounders are more valuable than Mozgov But the fact we got Grant on a decent contract did level the field. 

We can all agree that this was more of a MEH... move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brook Lopez just signed with the Bucks for  a  1 year deaI. believe they used the midlevel exception which is about 3.29 millions per year. 

This gives you an idea how much value Vuc truly have. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

If there’s no long term solution we don’t. Why do we need the Pg position fixed now? Are we competing for a title this year?

I’d like a long term PG of the future but if it doesn’t happen it doesn’t happen. Opportunities could happen once the year starts and at the deadline too. 

Not every hole on this roster was gonna get fixed this summer. That was never a realistic option and no one should have expected that. 

remember whwn we drafted dwight and Jameer and sured up both spots in 1 draft, yeah, that hardly ever happens. hs player of the year and college player of the year. super cool draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

Last season, Gordon was virtually equal per 36, but more efficient . Even inefficient Gordon was basically just as good a scorer. Gordon is Young and should improve. Thomas is older and injured, less likely to bounce back.

Absolutely! Completely agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys. 

Augustin averaged 12 points and 5 assists per game on 46/42/91 splits as a starter last year. He's not good but he's good enough that we can be patient and find the right point guard. Now's not the time to pursue bad fits. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to think it over and I believe we truly don't need a point guard. We just need a strategy.  Golden State has five ball handlers who set the plays.  They play position-less basketball while everyone is stuck in the mentality of positions. We need to implement strategy with confidence and skill to do so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

That is beside the point. This move doesn't do anything for the future. I don't dislike it but it was more of a lateral move. This move doesn’t placed us in any better financial position to go after another PG next year. 

1. I dont entirely disagree with your point here as I think Grant is decent enough to be possible our future back up PG. Like I said before, I dont think we are done if we are truly considering going after another PG next year. We need to create more cap space. 

2. Exactly my point. 16 millions on a guy that will not be on our rotation is pretty much a Lateral move. In my opinion, Biz and 2 second rounders are more valuable than Mozgov But the fact we got Grant on a decent contract did level the field. 

We can all agree that this was more of a MEH... move. 

And I think that's more in line with my thoughts on it.

Is it a BAD move? No. Not inherently. But I don't understand this praise for it, because we are in exactly the same spot.

Backup center on a horrible contract for same # of years (even WORSE of a center at that)

Backup level talent at the PG spot.

We are in no different a position after the trade than we were before the trade. We are especially not in a BETTER position than we were before the trade.

And the fact that bothers me most about it is that now that we've traded for a PG, I *guarantee* we go into the season with Augustine or Grant as our starter (the other as the #2 off the bench).

Wasting away yet another year when there are options out there to facilitate improving this team and its players.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

If there’s no long term solution we don’t. Why do we need the Pg position fixed now? Are we competing for a title this year?

I’d like a long term PG of the future but if it doesn’t happen it doesn’t happen. Opportunities could happen once the year starts and at the deadline too. 

Not every hole on this roster was gonna get fixed this summer. That was never a realistic option and no one should have expected that. 

Yes Sir....well done! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

It's Summer League. It literally means nothing.

Insert more of those laughing emoji's here.

I feel the fanboyism is super high to believe that Gordon or Osaac are better scorers than Thomas.

Last year's Thomas would have been the 17th ranked player on the magic in eFG%

It's not that Gordon or Isaac is some great scorer, it's that Thomas was terrible and there shouldn't be much optimism that he'll get better. He's 5'8, turning 30, and still recovering from off-season surgery. Theres a better chance he's done than returns to form. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Guys. 

Augustin averaged 12 points and 5 assists per game on 46/42/91 splits as a starter last year. He's not good but he's good enough that we can be patient and find the right point guard. Now's not the time to pursue bad fits. 

When you say bad fits, I am certain you included bad contracts coming back this way, that historically destroyed any future cap space as well! 

The way I see this FO moving is, incrementally removing the anchors and installing the sails, although not giant steps, but steps forward !! I like it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×