magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

For the record, I really like Grant. I'm excited to see him get an opportunity to start (I assume he'll at least be given the chance).

Me too and he's in a contract year. 

Plus I'm naive enough about Clifford to believe the hype that he squeezes every drop of potential out of his players so we'll see the best of Grant I'm sure. 

As long as it isn't next year. I'm actually perfectly fine with that. I'm hoping that in the next year or two, our first round picks will finally have us in a competing place and we'll go back to not necessarily NEEDING every pick to be a crucial one. 

28 minutes ago, jec said:

Why not? They have a successful model that is worth replicating.

We're not replicating it. Ainge has made some big moves.

I like the move.   Jerian Grant gives us size at the point.  Grant isn't a popular point guard or game changer by any means.  This move is a silent move and gets rid of Biyombo.  The worst thing about this is of course the overpaid Mozgov fodder.  Don't get Jerian confused  with his brother; Jerami Grant.  The search queries of course are a mess.

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

We're not replicating it. Ainge has made some big moves.

Big moves are nice when they're available. We are basically starting another rebuild. It isn't going to happen in one off season. Trust me, I know it sucks, but there's not much we can do but hope for the best. Chasing that "big move" is not what we need right now. We have some talented young players to develop first.

4 minutes ago, jec said:

Big moves are nice when they're available. We are basically starting another rebuild. It isn't going to happen in one off season. Trust me, I know it sucks, but there's not much we can do but hope for the best. Chasing that "big move" is not what we need right now. We have some talented young players to develop first.

Exactly. I personally believe we had our nice young core when we had Dipo/Harris/AG...but we squandered 2 of those 3 away. Now we have another group. Time to start over. And it sucks, because the faithful Magic fans have become the joke of the NBA along with the Nets + Suns.

But all we can do is put our faith in this FO (which seem to be doing an excellent job so far in my amateur assessment) and hope that player development, coaching hires, and team culture/chemistry all work out. 

5 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Dipo/Harris/AG < Issac/AG/Bamba 

You think? I'm hesitant to say that now. I hope that turns out to be true.

I also think the argument can be made that Dipo never becomes the player he is today if he didn't spend one year next to Westbrook and have some of that hunger ignite for him. 

I just don't like that we gave those two away for bags of chips. Put Dipo on our team as a hybrid PG. 

Dipo/Fournier/Issac/AG/Bamba..... ugh 

51 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Biyombo was the worst rotation player on the team last year. It's addition by subtraction. 

Grant is a better Mack. Slight improvement there. 

That's still saving money. 

Grant doesn't prevent us from doing anything lol. He's a filler player. You're naive if you think management is saying "man (all star point guard) just became available. It's too bad we just got jerian Grant and now we can't trade for him". 

Isaiah Thomas was a really bad player last year and is still rehabbing from hip surgery.

We're like Knicks fans trying to justify Derrick Rose here. Wanting Isaiah Thomas isn't wanting a solution at point guard. It's myopia and blind hope. 

It's not addition by subtraction when Mozgov is literally worse than Biyombo, and the contracts are nearly identical.

Freeing up a whopping $1 mill doesnt give us more cap flexibility to make moves. We are literally in the same cap position with a worse player than we were in before the trade.

Wow. Grant is better than Shelvin Mack. That's the bar we've set in Orlando. We acquired a backup PG who's maybe marginally better than a 3 apg player.

Yup. I'm definitely glad we passed on IT for that. 

• Like 1