magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

15 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

My sources seem to think IT deal gets done today or no later than tomorrow. Developing. Big if true. 

That probably means we're either using our bi-annual exception or we aren't pursuing any RFAs if it happens before the moratorium is lifted (tonight? tomorrow?). 

20 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

My sources seem to think IT deal gets done today or no later than tomorrow. Developing. Big if true. 

I'll go out on a limb.  If we sign IT and he is healthy (he almost beat us in LA last year late in the year by shooting and driving) AND Bamba lasts the entire season (that is my biggest concern for a 7'0" 225lb one and done lasting 82 games) we will make the playoffs.   I do not see Cleveland  making the playoffs, Detroit and Charlotte have both regressed, Miami has not improved and we potentially (If Bamba can last) have two first round picks playing this year plus a motivated/improved Gordon.  Would that not be great if we gor position 8 and played the Celtics (IT's old team) in round one.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Originalticketholder said:

I'll go out on a limb.  If we sign IT and he is healthy (he almost beat us in LA last year late in the year by shooting and driving) AND Bamba lasts the entire season (that is my biggest concern for a 7'0" 225lb one and done lasting 82 games) we will make the playoffs.   I do not see Cleveland  making the playoffs, Detroit and Charlotte have both regressed, Miami has not improved and we potentially (If Bamba can last) have two first round picks playing this year plus a motivated/improved Gordon.  Would that not be great if we gor position 8 and played the Celtics (IT's old team) in round one.  

My sources seem to think you’re right the Magic can battle for a playoff spot. 

Celtics

Sixers

Raptors

Pacers 

are locks. 

Bucks 

Heat 

should get in. 

That leaves:

Wizards 

Pistons 

Magic 

Knicks 

Fighting for last 2 spots. 

I think with a healthy Issac and IT we could make it. I’d feel more confident if we could turn Vuch into something but we’ll see. 

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

My sources say Thomas left without a deal when we wouldn't promise him a starting spot. 

Wondering the same thing. I mean why would you promise that?

12 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

My sources say Thomas left without a deal when we wouldn't promise him a starting spot. 

This makes no sense. No one is going to promise that and put it in writing/contract; and if it is only verbal, who cares? My response is, we are offering you a contract because we believe that you can be our starter; we want you to succeed and recover to be able to take that role. 

I don’t think that’s why he hasn’t signed yet. 

Im sorry but if you don’t think you can beat DJ Augustine out for a starting job than you should just retire from the NBA. 

I feel like they’re just doing typical negotiating on contract numbers. 

26 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

My sources seem to think you’re right the Magic can battle for a playoff spot. 

Celtics

Sixers

Raptors

Pacers 

are locks. 

Bucks 

Heat 

should get in. 

That leaves:

Wizards 

Pistons 

Magic 

Knicks 

Fighting for last 2 spots. 

I think with a healthy Issac and IT we could make it. I’d feel more confident if we could turn Vuch into something but we’ll see. 

this is basically what everyone said last year and look what happened. 

Isaac is basically a rookie so expect lots of mistakes. Bamba will make a ton too. You're also counting on IT being his former self.

OTOH, the Wiz and Pistons are vet-heavy teams w/ all star talent. The Bulls were better than us last season and will be competing for that spot too. And the Hornets can't be discounted either w/ Kemba and Batum. I see us finishing tenth, maybe ninth. 

Without any evidence to back it up, though, the skepticism came across as pure conjecture. But on the latest episode of The Woj PodAdrian Wojnarowski said thatthe Lakers didn’t want his injury to come out, and that there is a belief that “people within Ball’s orbit” spoke to the media about it.

Woj didn’t outright confirm it, but as with anything else, he wouldn’t have said it if he didn’t believe it was true. While Ball’s camp didn’t fake his injury, like some have been led to believe, they still played up an injury that isn’t expected to keep him out of training camp since they didn’t want him included in a potential package for Kawhi Leonard.

Like anything else LaVar has done, this is a stupid move on the surface but a brilliant one from a marketing perspective. He has surely seen the sway LeBron James has when it comes to front office decisions — he famously sealed Andrew Wiggins’ fate when he returned to Cleveland, and he was at the center of last season’s trade deadline whirlwind that sent Isaiah Thomas and others packing. Like any proud father, he didn’t want his son to be robbed of the chance to play with James, which is why he did what he did.

https://fansided.com/2018/07/04/lonzo-ball-camp-leaked-injury-to-prevent-lakers-trade-woj-lavar/

can't imagine our front office wanting anything to do with this circus

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Will we consider this to be a successful offseason if all we really do is draft Bamba, re-sign Gordon to his 4/84 contract, and sign IT to a 1-2 year deal? 

What grade would you give the offseason?