magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

17 minutes ago, LaVar said:

The post I responded to was talking about Mario as well. IF we had kept mario it would be. Not so much now that mario is gone. 5th pick wasted. I do believe Gordon and JI both are best a pf. So it hurts if one is less productive because of team fit. I think they are fine on defense. It is offense that will be the issue. 

The way the NBA is shifting towards positionless basketball I think we'll be fine. We just need Clifford to design our offense around the strengths of the players that we have. Gordon and Isaac can alternate between SF and PF depending on the play being run. 

8 hours ago, LaVar said:

The post I responded to was talking about Mario as well. IF we had kept mario it would be. Not so much now that mario is gone. 5th pick wasted. I do believe Gordon and JI both are best a pf. So it hurts if one is less productive because of team fit. I think they are fine on defense. It is offense that will be the issue. 

I think the distinction between SF and PF on offense is really entirely dependent on the personnel and offense being run. The league is 4 (if not 5) out offensively so I’m really not sure what PF vs. SF means in most nba offenses where your guys can shoot from 3 and put the ball on the floor. What will Isaac not get to do or have to do if he is technically the SF instead of PF in an offensive set because AG is also on the court? It’s possible I’m missing something because I hear that critique a lot in national media but I’ve always been confused by it. I know there was all the conversations about Gordon being a 4 and not a 3 a couple years ago, but wasn’t that more about what he was being asked to do and the personnel around him than a specific position title? I’d love to better understand the concern from a Magic fan who I know watches these games and isn’t just a national media person having opinions after watching us once.  

Does anyone else feel like Free Agency has gotten really silent? Perhaps no one really works the 4th of July, but there was almost no traction yesterday nationally on FA signings...

1 hour ago, Mack1085 said:

I think the distinction between SF and PF on offense is really entirely dependent on the personnel and offense being run. The league is 4 (if not 5) out offensively so I’m really not sure what PF vs. SF means in most nba offenses where your guys can shoot from 3 and put the ball on the floor. What will Isaac not get to do or have to do if he is technically the SF instead of PF in an offensive set because AG is also on the court? It’s possible I’m missing something because I hear that critique a lot in national media but I’ve always been confused by it. I know there was all the conversations about Gordon being a 4 and not a 3 a couple years ago, but wasn’t that more about what he was being asked to do and the personnel around him than a specific position title? I’d love to better understand the concern from a Magic fan who I know watches these games and isn’t just a national media person having opinions after watching us once.  

This is kind of how I feel. 

Was there any difference between how Gordon played the last two years? I don't really think so. He was just more successful last year

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

This is kind of how I feel. 

Was there any difference between how Gordon played the last two years? I don't really think so. He was just more successful last year

But I think he is better as a defensive monster and rebounding.  Dirtier looking points, but his offense would follow good defense, in the same way it worked for D12 when he was here.  Yes, Gordon can spread the floor, but PLEASE no more "settling for the 3".  Move the ball around.  I think Isaac is a better "slasher".  He appears smoother to me anyway. 

We went 8-3 with Augustin starting because he helped spread the floor.  People forget that Payton's return changed that and we went back to "ball hog" basketball for most of the season.  

youre position is what can you defend? if you can defend both youre a combo forward if you cant guard either youre a tweener. We have combo forwards in Isaac and Gordon. Tyrus Thomas and Tobias Harris and to some extend Darell Arthur have all been tweeners. Shawn Marion Andre Kirilinko etc were more combo forwards. I may be wrong but thats how ive viewed it for awhile now

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mack1085 said:

There is still a difference and the reason Gordon produced more with out Serge in the line up vs playing with ross and evan. Wings players go more around screens, leak out on breaks and don't set a lot of screens. PF rebound, set screens and dive to the rim. They also post more on miss matches. There are other differences but I am at work. .. lol

A lot has to do with your natural ability too. Good rebounder, weakside shot blocker, strong base, your strengths are best utilized in the paint more than outside.

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

My sources seem to think IT deal gets done today or no later than tomorrow. Developing. Big if true. 

That would be great. I'd love to sign him and move on to trading Vuc. The end of the layup drill era is coming soon!

10 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

My sources seem to think IT deal gets done today or no later than tomorrow. Developing. Big if true. 

I think you mean "Small if true".