magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Averaging 25ppg in the nba is still something. You can’t jist completely write that off because he’s on an awful team and he’s not the most efficient scorer. That’s still impressive.

If we drafted Booker over Mario and he was averaging 25 a game I highly doubt the majority of people on here would be alright with not resigning him. 

I’m also noticing some of the people saying he’s not an efficient scorer are the same ones mad to see Mario leave. Mario never was nor will he ever be an efficient scorer. 

Not sure, I may be wrong or crazy lol but whenever ive watched Booker,  nothing he does seems to come with great ease meaning he has to work REALLY hard to score the ball. this worries me about his body and injuries and such

3 minutes ago, LaVar said:

i can see mario being an efficient scorer on a team with talent. If he just dunked and took open shots. I would not say never. 

Even his percentages taking open shots were nothing to write home about. 

6 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Not sure, I may be wrong or crazy lol but whenever ive watched Booker,  nothing he does seems to come with great ease meaning he has to work REALLY hard to score the ball. this worries me about his body and injuries and such

I haven’t watched him a bunch. I don’t think he’s a super star or anything. But you have to be talented to score 70 points against the Boston Celtics. You have to be talented to average over 25 in the nba. I think Booker is probably overrated by plenty of people but he’s underrated some too. 

Booker still just 21. Insane. 

Side note: Didn’t Booker want Orlando to draft him? I feel like I remember seeing an interview where he said he thought Orlando would be a great fit etc etc. 

4 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Even his percentages taking open shots were nothing to write home about. 

No they weren't. The most disappointing aspect of Mario's game in my opinion was his piss poor shooting. He was drafted with the report of being a possible dead eye perimeter shooter, but he puts up more bricks then a mason. His game is better when he's getting shots around the rim.

1 minute ago, DirtDan2012 said:

No they weren't. The most disappointing aspect of Mario's game in my opinion was his piss poor shooting. He was drafted with the report of being a possible dead eye perimeter shooter, but he puts up more bricks then a mason. His game is better when he's getting shots towards the rim.

Yea I thought at minimum he would be a knockdown spot up shooter. That was never the case. So odd because he has a beautiful release idk what the issue is. I’m sure he’ll figure it out in NY though lol. 

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Yea I thought at minimum he would be a knockdown spot up shooter. That was never the case. So odd because he has a beautiful release idk what the issue is. I’m sure he’ll figure it out in NY though lol. 

Agreed. I hope he does too. He's a much better athlete then I expected him to be and If he puts it all together he'll be a good ball player. No doubt in my mind.

I just wish we'd quit wasting lottery picks. Little to show for where we've been picking for the last 6 years.

51 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

IT is a proven scorer. I have no problem with him demanding some shots especially if it forces someone like AG to not take 3-4 awful shots a game. 

I rather have Gordon have the opportunity to choose between that bad shot and a better one than IT taking any shot. 

18 minutes ago, DirtDan2012 said:

Agreed. I hope he does too. He's a much better athlete then I expected him to be and If he puts it all together he'll be a good ball player. No doubt in my mind.

I just wish we'd quit wasting lottery picks. Little to show for where we've been picking for the last 6 years.

The issue we've had as a rebuilding team is we haven't always had better options than the guys we picked. 

- 2013 we took Oladipo. Hindsight says Giannis would have gone first overall in a redraft but in all likelihood Oladipo would go second in a redraft.  

- 2014 we got Gordon and that pick probably doesn't change in a redraft. Our mistake in this draft was trading Saric for Payton, we should have kept Saric.

- 2015 we took Hezonja. Hindsight says Devin Booker or even Myles Turner, but in a redraft they go top four with KP and Embiid. So we'd end up with Russell or Okafor. But at the time Hezonja was arguably the choice for us.

- 2016 we picked Sabonis and traded him away, not our smartest move.

- 2017 we picked Isaac, not my favored picked but arguably had the most upside. Sure  a redraft might get us Fox or Fultz because Mitchell goes ahead of them but that's hindsight for you.

- 2018 same as above we picked the players with the most upside in Bamba.

To date we have probably picked the best available prospects that were tipped to go in our range. We can't sit back here and say we should have picked Giannis second overall and Mitchell sixth overall because no one knew those guys would turn out like they did. Our front office's took the players they thought were best and the rebuild has not worked. Fingers crossed this front office's picks Isaac and Bamba do work out otherwise we'll have many more years  to come in the lottery.

9 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I rather have Gordon have the opportunity to choose between that bad shot and a better one than IT taking any shot. 

Gordon will be just fine playing with IT. I have no worries about that. Everyone just step their games up. 

2 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

The issue we've had as a rebuilding team is we haven't always had better options than the guys we picked. 

- 2013 we took Oladipo. Hindsight says Giannis would have gone first overall in a redraft but in all likelihood Oladipo would go second in a redraft.  

- 2014 we got Gordon and that pick probably doesn't change in a redraft. Our mistake in this draft was trading Saric for Payton, we should have kept Saric.

- 2015 we took Hezonja. Hindsight says Devin Booker or even Myles Turner, but in a redraft they go top four with KP and Embiid. So we'd end up with Russell or Okafor. But at the time Hezonja was arguably the choice for us.

- 2016 we picked Sabonis and traded him away, not our smartest move.

- 2017 we picked Isaac, not my favored picked but arguably had the most upside. Sure  a redraft might get us Fox or Fultz because Mitchell goes ahead of them but that's hindsight for you.

- 2018 same as above we picked the players with the most upside in Bamba.

To date we have probably picked the best available prospects that were tipped to go in our range. We can't sit back here and say we should have picked Giannis second overall and Mitchell sixth overall because no one knew those guys would turn out like they did. Our front office's took the players they thought were best and the rebuild has not worked. Fingers crossed this front office's picks Isaac and Bamba do work out otherwise we'll have many more years  to come in the lottery.

And look where we're at now. Olidipo, Sabonis, EP and Hezonja are gone and what do we have to show for all that.... TRoss...... Who I actually do like a lot. We've squandered assets terribly over the last 6 years.

41 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I haven’t watched him a bunch. I don’t think he’s a super star or anything. But you have to be talented to score 70 points against the Boston Celtics. You have to be talented to average over 25 in the nba. I think Booker is probably overrated by plenty of people but he’s underrated some too. 

Booker still just 21. Insane. 

Side note: Didn’t Booker want Orlando to draft him? I feel like I remember seeing an interview where he said he thought Orlando would be a great fit etc etc. 

Bookers family knows the Devos family, theyre friends I believe.

I agree Booker is super talented and has FAR over delivered for his draft position. Who else is Phoenix going to pay and they need to show how they handle young stars to Ayton. Im not upset about the contract, just sharing my limited opinion about the dude.

1 minute ago, DirtDan2012 said:

And look where we're at now. Olidipo, Sabonis, EP and Hezonja are gone and what do we have to show for all that.... TRoss...... Who I actually do like a lot. We've squandered assets terribly over the last 6 years.

We sold Oladipo because for whatever reason we didn't think he was going to be an all star (and neither did OKC otherwise they would have kept him and built around Westbrook, Oladipo, PG and Adams) and preferred Fournier and Hezonja. Hindsight says it was the wrong deal. However he was used in a package to land a potential stretch four and rim protector in Ibaka. At the time that filled a need and potentially was a move to gear us for a play off run. That didn't happen, so trading away Oladipo and Sabonis didn't work out for us.

Should we have given Hezonja a fourth year? Yes, but he hadn't shown enough at that point to warrant it. So the gamble our front office took again didn't work. 

As for Payton that deal never made sense. Saric was a great value pick for us and a fit for our roster. 

So I do agree with you that our front office's have made some bad decisions, but at the time they made sense to them for them to make the deals that they did.