magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

As everyone talks themselves into Thomas, can someone please remind me of the last time a player came to the Magic off of their worst professional season, off of a bad injury, and most likely declining, and revitalized their career? Heck, when has a player come off of any of those and performed up to expectations on the Magic?

24 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

If it doesn’t workout, what do we really lose though? A 1 year deal? I don’t think Thomas is the long term solution at PG obviously but it could make for a fun year potentially. Better than watching DJ and whoever else. This isn’t some big gamble. We’re talking 1 year here. 

I mean he could always hurt team cohesion and team development, setting us back further than if we didn’t sign him at all.

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Yep. IT is the type of guy I don’t mind betting on though. He thrives when his back is against the wall and people count him out. Just based off some of the things he’s been tweeting I feel like he’s incredibly motivated to prove people wrong once again. 

It's hard to hate on a guy that believes in himself. It took him several years to reach the level he did before the injury. Whether he signs with us or not you have to root for the kid.

There's a first time for everything.

When's the last time the Magic have won a championship? But we're still shooting for it, right?

It doesn't happen til it happens.

2 minutes ago, Odin said:

As everyone talks themselves into Thomas, can someone please remind me of the last time a player came to the Magic off of their worst professional season, off of a bad injury, and most likely declining, and revitalized their career? Heck, when has a player come off of any of those and performed up to expectations on the Magic?

It's the same trap we always fall in

1 minute ago, Odin said:

I mean he could always hurt team cohesion and team development, setting us back further than if we didn’t sign him at all.

We aren't signing Dwight Howard here.

Should we just roll with no PG, because whoever we bring in might hurt team cohesion?

Our guys gotta learn to be able to play with guys. Our guys gotta learn how to win. This roster can't stay in tank mode forever.

39 minutes ago, DirtDan2012 said:

It should be very concerning to everyone. He had a hip injury and we're talking about a small player that relies on speed to be effective.

I agree with you. It is most definitely concerning. But I’m hopeful he recovers fully. Here are the details of his hip injury. I can assure you, it’s not career ending. It’s fixable with surgery, and he did it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/3/28/17173144/isaiah-thomas-hip-surgery-injury-update-history-lakers-cavaliers-celtics

11 minutes ago, Odin said:

Grant Hill post Magic was still good.

Jameer Nelson post 2010 was decent.

Just now, Franchise408 said:

We aren't signing Dwight Howard here.

Should we just roll with no PG, because whoever we bring in might hurt team cohesion?

Our guys gotta learn to be able to play with guys. Our guys gotta learn how to win. This roster can't stay in tank mode forever.

I’d prefer that, honestly. Or sign a back up on a one year contract, run Augustin as the starter. Go for a guy next year. They should at least hopefully know their roles. You know, not shoot 13 shots a game in 27 minutes with a 37/29/90 shooting splits.

Just for reference, those are more shots per 36 than Gordon shot last year. Only Vuch and Speights shot more. And remember how upset everyone got at their shooting by the end of the year? And yet they shot way better than Thomas last year.

Remember how upset everyone was at Augustin’s performance two seasons ago? He shot 38/34/80 splits on 6.6 shots per game- half the number Thomas took last year.

5 minutes ago, Catalina Maria said:

Grant Hill post Magic was still good.

Jameer Nelson post 2010 was decent.

Neither of whom are an answer to my question. And both were disappointing in comparison to their prior production. Grant Hill was basically a role player on the Suns.

But if Isaiah was a Grant Hill type player, who can change his role to fit his declining ability, I’d probably be fine with Thomas.

But I don’t think he can be effective outside of being a ball dominant volume scorer. And I think those years are behind him.

8 minutes ago, Odin said:

I’d prefer that, honestly. Or sign a back up on a one year contract, run Augustin as the starter. Go for a guy next year. They should at least hopefully know their roles. You know, not shoot 13 shots a game in 27 minutes with a 37/29/90 shooting splits.

Just for reference, those are more shots per 36 than Gordon shot last year. Only Vuch and Speights shot more. And remember how upset everyone got at their shooting by the end of the year? And yet they shot way better than Thomas last year.

Remember how upset everyone was at Augustin’s performance two seasons ago? He shot 38/34/80 splits on 6.6 shots per game- half the number Thomas took last year.

Also, I am obviously not against us signing anyone, I am against specifically signing IT.

4 minutes ago, Odin said:

Neither of whom are an answer to my question. And both were disappointing in comparison to their prior production. Grant Hill was basically a role player on the Suns.

But if Isaiah was a Grant Hill type player, who can change his role to fit his declining ability, I’d probably be fine with Thomas.

But I don’t think he can be effective outside of being a ball dominant volume scorer. And I think those years are behind him.

He had just reached that point before the hip injury. While I do have concerns.... If he can get back to 100% after the most recent surgery, then I think he's got a few years of high level production in him.