magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

5 minutes ago, LJMAGIC said:

So, here is a list of free agents that are still available that should command more than the minimum but may have to settle for the MLE or a portion of the MLE.  Of course, most of these are restricted and it is likely that their existing team matches any reasonable offer.  Of these who do you think we should, if any, tender an offer to and for how much?

Tyreke Evans

Marcus Smart

Dante Exum

Isaiah Thomas

I would be intrigued with Thomas, Exum, Bjelica, or perhaps Ellington.

I'd be OK with any of the PGs on a 1-2 year deal but let's not wait for last choice please.

1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

That is what I also like........Great knowledgeable NBA fans who are also Magic fans who occasionally like to stir the pot.  Speaking of stirring the pot how long are we going to have to wait for ?ForTheWin, our moderator, to come up with a name instead of "?".  I thought he promised us one after the draft.  How about B.I.G.4TheWin.  Just stirring the pot!

I think he’s waiting till someone hits a game winner this year? 

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I need someone to earn it. 

Extremely bold prediction: Frazier4thewin

Just now, ML6 said:

Extremely bold prediction: Frazier4thewin

If Frazier takes a game winning shot either coach Cliffords head will need testing or he'll have to be much much better than anticipated.

9 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

If Frazier takes a game winning shot either coach Cliffords head will need testing or he'll have to be much much better than anticipated.

Yeah I was commenting on 4TWs comment that someone has to "earn it", not make a game-winning shot.

Just now, ML6 said:

Yeah I was commenting on 4TWs comment that someone has to "earn it", not make a game-winning shot.

Oh right my bad. I just presumed they'd "earn it" by doing it.

14 minutes ago, LJMAGIC said:

So, here is a list of free agents that are still available that should command more than the minimum but may have to settle for the MLE or a portion of the MLE.  Of course, most of these are restricted and it is likely that their existing team matches any reasonable offer.  Of these who do you think we should, if any, tender an offer to and for how much?

Clint Capela (Rockets may get a discount here with most the money gone.  I am surprised the Lakers did not go after him.)

Tyreke Evans

Luc Mbah a Moute

Wayne Ellington

Brook Lopez (Um, no)

Marcus Smart

Zach Lavine

Dante Exum

Jabari Parker

Nemanja Bjelica

Jusuf Nurkic

Montrezl Harrell

Rodney Hood

Isaiah Thomas

Kyle Anderson

I would be intrigued with Thomas, Exum, Bjelica, or perhaps Ellington.

As a team that isn't a free agent destination, we really should take advantage of this weird cap situation this summer. I get the desire to save cap and only sign one year deals, but cap room is only valuable for small markets when there is more talent than money available (NOW!). It makes sense for the Lakers to sign people to one year deals, but if we think the market is depressed and we can get decent players on cheaper than anticipated deals, we shouldn't be afraid to make 3 or 4 year offers with the MLE.

The exception to this in my opinion would be IT given all the injuries and the fact that he won't advance on the same timeline as the rest of our team. I'd take a swing at the RFAs (Hood, Exum, Smart) with multi-year deals given their upside. I'd be really intrigued by Parker if our FO believed in him given his pedigree.