magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

20 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

remembering that AG is only 22 and that he's improved every year has me thinking that we should just match anything he gets

We are building a core. Isaac, AG, hopefully Mario, #6, Burch, 2 2nd rounders. 

3 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Not if teams give him like $200 million, he is not worth $200 million and I do not care how old he is 

They can't offer that much and remember, it isn't OUR money, Amway can afford whatever it takes.

33 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Not if teams give him like $200 million, he is not worth $200 million and I do not care how old he is 

The most he could make on the market is

So thats 5/138,875,000.

But I'm not sure off the top of my head if a post rookie contract max years is 4 or 5 years 

But if it's 4 years it's 4/105 and change

15 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The most he could make on the market is

So thats 5/138,875,000.

But I'm not sure off the top of my head if a post rookie contract max years is 4 or 5 years 

But if it's 4 years it's 4/105 and change

I know it’s just the market but imagine AG making 25 million next year. Wow. Totally betting on him to drastically improve at that price. 

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

I know it’s just the market but imagine AG making 25 million next year. Wow. Totally betting on him to drastically improve at that price. 

I think we'll probably get him at like 5/120

1 hour ago, MagicFan1234 said:

he isnt eligible for such a max contract, you have to of played in the league a certain amount of time and have awards and such. 

The real interesting thing about restricted free agency is the only way to avoid giving Gordon a max contract is to say you plan on matching max contract offers. The second you set a hypothetical walk away amount you're screwing yourself because someone will offer him slightly more. So you say you'll match everything, you give him a low-ball offer initially and tell him to go out and get another offer sheet if he wants more and we'll match. Nobody will offer him what he wants because of our threat to match. Teams don't want to waste time and don't want their likely targets to feel like a plan B. He'll come back with nothing substantial. We'll increase our offer a bit as a gesture of good faith and to make him feel like he's taken care of and to make the risk of taking the qualifying offer seem unpalatable. 

That's how I think we end up at 24 per year flat salary. 5/120. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

We are building a core. Isaac, AG, hopefully Mario, #6, Burch, 2 2nd rounders. 

They can't offer that much and remember, it isn't OUR money, Amway can afford whatever it takes.

What a horrible core. 

It may not be our money.  It doesn’t matter.  Businesses analyze their results all the time.  Ultimately a business with poor results will make changes:  sell, go out of business (won’t happen to an NBA franchise), move, or something.  The idea that they can afford it so they’ll be willing to just keep shoveling in the money is probably not correct. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/13/2018 at 8:04 AM, ?4thewin said:

The real interesting thing about restricted free agency is the only way to avoid giving Gordon a max contract is to say you plan on matching max contract offers. The second you set a hypothetical walk away amount you're screwing yourself because someone will offer him slightly more. So you say you'll match everything, you give him a low-ball offer initially and tell him to go out and get another offer sheet if he wants more and we'll match. Nobody will offer him what he wants because of our threat to match. Teams don't want to waste time and don't want their likely targets to feel like a plan B. He'll come back with nothing substantial. We'll increase our offer a bit as a gesture of good faith and to make him feel like he's taken care of and to make the risk of taking the qualifying offer seem unpalatable. 

That's how I think we end up at 24 per year flat salary. 5/120. 

Ooof. I like Gordon, but I think that amount is pretty high. We are taking a big bet at 24 a year. That would be a top 40-50 contract in the league. At least it would be better than Wiggin's contract I guess?

33 minutes ago, Odin said:

Ooof. I like Gordon, but I think that amount is pretty high. We are taking a big bet at 24 a year. That would be a top 40-50 contract in the league. At least it would be better than Wiggin's contract I guess?

It's lower than Otto Porter, Steven Adams, jrue holiday, and Whiteside. It's equal to Batum, Parsons, Barnes. 

A top 40-50 contract in the league for a top 50 player today isn't that big of a deal.