magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. I mean it's a different story if we had to offer what it would typically take to get a Jimmy Butler type player but this is such a no brainier to me. 

It is to me as well. Plus you want to talk about culture change? He places as much emphasis on work ethic as talent. 

I mean. Worst case scenario, Butler is obstinate. He refuses to report. 

We flip him to the clippers for gallinari and SGA. Which they would do as it helps them open up a second max contract slot without moving Tobias. 

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I mean. Worst case scenario, Butler is obstinate. He refuses to report. 

We flip him to the clippers for gallinari and SGA. Which they would do as it helps them open up a second max contract slot without moving Tobias. 

You really like SGA don’t you?

These types of situations are a good opportunity to see if either team has a need/want and try to get in a 3 way. Usually doesn’t always involve a 3rd team but if we can’t get Butler, at least see if there’s another way to improve.

3 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

You really like SGA don’t you?

These types of situations are a good opportunity to see if either team has a need/want and try to get in a 3 way. Usually doesn’t always involve a 3rd team but if we can’t get Butler, at least see if there’s another way to improve.

I'm not really a big SGA guy. I'm just pointing out all the calculus that goes into a decision like this. 

Although this isn’t much im glad there’s something to talk about on here lol. 2 weeks and pre-season starts too so thankfully things are gonna pick up around here, hopefully starting with us trading for butler. 

38 minutes ago, King Close said:

Although this isn’t much im glad there’s something to talk about on here lol. 2 weeks and pre-season starts too so thankfully things are gonna pick up around here, hopefully starting with us trading for butler. 

If not trading for Butler this is a decent chance to interject ourselves into moves to come away with a point guard. 

15 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

After seeing Deng and Noah flame out about the same age as Butler is now, I would be leery of signing him to a long term deal.  Thibs has a way of burning out his stars.

You cant compare either of thhose players to the caliber of Butler. Butler is above them. 

Noah is a traditional big guy that is not longer compatible with current NBA standards. He also injured his shoulder. 

Deng has nothing on Butler. 

We need a guy like Butler. He is in his prime and can help the other guys to develop. We seriously need to consider  going for it if we want to be relevant once again.

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

After seeing Deng and Noah flame out about the same age as Butler is now, I would be leery of signing him to a long term deal.  Thibs has a way of burning out his stars.

Deng declined significantly after 749 regular season games 27,000 minutes and an additional 48 playoff games. 

Noah was injury prone his entire career. He's only had one season of above average minutes. 

Butler is only at 458 career games 15,000 minutes and 40 playoff games. You gotta remember he didn't play starter minutes until he was 24. His minutes/games are pretty much identical to Kyrie. 441 games, 15,000 minutes, 52 playoff games. But you wouldn't consider Kyrie a risk because he's 25. 

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

3. Today we have 3 guys that we're theoretically building around and that's really enough young guys to develop. One of the problems with the previous rebuild attempt was gathering too many young players who didn't fit and whose weaknesses limited the growth of other players. I think with Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba we're better off improving our talent via trades and free agency

I think the above is a really important point that hasn’t always gotten enough recognition.  A lot of people advocate for just playing the young guys, no matter what, so that they can develop.  However there’s a school of thought that doing things that way may actually retard their development, that they should earn playing time based on how they do (especially with avoiding careless mental mistakes).  Some would argue that one of the reasons our “young guns “ didn’t develop very well is because we didn’t do that.  Couldn’t, really, because we traded any even half decent veteran away as part of Hennys tanking strategy. 

Again I think this is an important point by ?FTW

I don’t think Butler fits our timeline. He’s 29 going into 30s maybe another year or two of prime with our young core just starting to develop. If we could trade EF or Vucevic; fillers and a heavenly protected first then maybe especially if Kyrie wants to play with him, but I don’t see Kyrie leaving Boston and if that’s the case  I would rather have Rozier for our core’s timeline.

• Downvote 1