magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

9 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I disagree. Consider Paul George and okc. Losing a pick is worth the opportunity to woo Butler. If he leaves, fine. You tried. If it's going terribly you still have the option to dump him at the trade deadline.

Fournier isn't a long term fit and makes a significant amount of money. Simmons just turned 29. 

If all we get is some playoff minutes for the young guys and clear 18 million in cap space for next summer where we could go after a point guard and a wing that fits our philosophy then that's worth the pick. 

Haha that’s completely short sighted, and PG didn’t join a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 6 straight years so that comp is apples to oranges. There is no synergy between Isaac and Bamba, two very young but incomplete players, and Butler, a 4 time all star and elite two way player. Butler wants to join a team that can also attract another max FA to play with, and atm this team is not in position to do that. 

The fact that he requested trades to certain locations SHOULD give you a clue that, given our team parameters, he most likely wouldn’t re-sign with us. So why do you want to give up the opportunity to trade Fournier and picks for something else? 

8 hours ago, Malik Buttface said:

I thought I read that it was three teams he would "resign" with. If that's the case, there's still a possibility of convincing especially if he lands in the right scenario. 

I was thinking this too. If we are active in any sort of trade with Minnesota or as a third team, Vuc is definitely being added into the mix. 

ESPN is reporting he wants to join a team that can also add another max FA. The Clippers and Nets have that ability. The Knicks can get close depending on how the Joakim Noah situation pans out. We do have expirings coming up in Ross and Vuc, and moving Fournier would be relatively easy, but Mozgov would be a pita to move. There’s no point in trading for him now with all this uncertainty.

4 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Haha that’s completely short sighted, and PG didn’t join a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 6 straight years so that comp is apples to oranges. There is no synergy between Isaac and Bamba, two very young but incomplete players, and Butler, a 4 time all star and elite two way player. Butler wants to join a team that can also attract another max FA to play with, and atm this team is not in position to do that. 

The fact that he requested trades to certain locations SHOULD give you a clue that, given our team parameters, he most likely wouldn’t re-sign with us. So why do you want to give up the opportunity to trade Fournier and picks for something else? 

1. Butler has Brooklyn and the Knicks on his list so I'm not sure the playoff point matters as much as that additional max spot

2. We're in position to create that second additional max spot

3. Today we have 3 guys that we're theoretically building around and that's really enough young guys to develop. One of the problems with the previous rebuild attempt was gathering too many young players who didn't fit and whose weaknesses limited the growth of other players. I think with Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba we're better off improving our talent via trades and free agency

4. This set of circumstances where you can get a top 10-15 NBA player for a hypothetical Fournier-Simmons package never happens. The only reason they'd ever consider a package like this is because of specific constraints that Minnesota is screwing itself with. If Minnesota said they'd wait until mid December to make the trade then I wouldn't suggest a deal because there's now too many other competing offers. 

5. If you make the trade, have him around for a few months and find out he's definitely going to leave at the end of the year you can dump him to Toronto for a few interesting pieces and a pick in the 20s. 

6. If he leaves and you didn't trade him you're at least getting additional cap room to pursue (free agent point guard of your choice) and other pieces that fit our rebuild plan better than fournier and Simmons who are just placeholders.

7. Isaac-Bamba synergy doesn't really matter. They're still coming off the bench this year until they're ready. 

I think our best play is to stay the course and hope one of our guys explodes. If a stud point guard becomes available (e.g. Walker), that’s a different story, as that position is crucial to the development of the whole team.

But if we somehow get Butler, of course I’d be excited.

I recognize fully that trading for Butler has about a 2 out of 3 chance he leaves. 

For the pieces we'd be giving up I don't really care. Those odds are worth it as the downside is limited. 

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

Wiggins is delusional. 

I’m with you 100%.  Weltman should be making that call.

Yeah. I mean it's a different story if we had to offer what it would typically take to get a Jimmy Butler type player but this is such a no brainier to me. 

wiggys_world is nick wiggins (Andrew's brother) FWIW.  Might be even funnier b/c he can't even sniff the NBA