magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

2 hours ago, King Close said:

What do you think it would take to get him? 

I have no real clue. He's on an expiring so that hurts his value. 

I'd offer Fournier and picks and non Gordon, Isaac, Bamba pieces if they want em. 

I don't know if that's enough because I don't know who else would be in the running. 

Saw the uncle drew movie. It was awesome to see AG in that role! I am afraid though, he will get to attached to the industry and later request a move to LA.

I am glad were able to retain him for at least another 4 years. 

33 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I really hope we get Jimmy Butler rumors. Need this next week to fly by

Strap in fellas. My friend's cousin's neighbor's nephew in law shares a gardener with Jimmy Butler. He said he wants to play in Orlando and his agent is working behind the scenes to help create a trade to get it done. The trade involves Vuc and a heavily protected 1st.

Good enough ?FTW?

Rumors about Butler!? The only rumor out there is that He wants to go to a winning team. The likes of Houston, LA or san antonio. I don't see him  going to any team in the east other than Boston or Philadelphia.

13 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Rumors about Butler!? The only rumor out there is that He wants to go to a winning team. The likes of Houston, LA or san antonio. I don't see him  going to any team in the east other than Boston or Philadelphia.

That's not the rumor at all. 

The rumor is he doesn't like towns and Wiggins and towns won't sign an extension until Butler is gone. 

Houston can't trade for him. 

LA can't trade for him until December unless they want to include Ball, Ingram, and kuzma. 

Boston won't trade for him. They're set. 

San Antonio doesn't really have an avenue to trade for him. 

Philly is possible predicated on whether or not Minnesota likes Robert Covington. 

I don't think there's any avenue to him ending up here.  We're not going to offer Gordon, Isaac, or Bamba in the package for him as an expiring and those should be the only assets that interest MIN if they're not completely incompetent.  A Fournier-centric package would be extremely underwhelming for them.  Someone's gotta be able to beat that.

14 minutes ago, ML6 said:

I don't think there's any avenue to him ending up here.  We're not going to offer Gordon, Isaac, or Bamba in the package for him as an expiring and those should be the only assets that interest MIN if they're not completely incompetent.  A Fournier-centric package would be extremely underwhelming for them.  Someone's gotta be able to beat that.

You'd think so but there are a lot of constraints that might put a cap on what Minnesota can expect to receive. 

The towns extension puts an artificial timeline of October 15th to get this done. Meaning any free agents from this past summer can't be included in the deal. 

Minnesota's salary situation hurts their ability to take back more salary than they'd be sending out. 

Minnesota being in a situation where they want to continue to make the playoffs means they should be hesitant to trade him in conference and strengthen a rival. If they were going full rebuild it'd be a different story. 

Butler being able to leave next summer hurts his trade value. Teams won't go all in on a deal. 

So if you eliminate the West, Boston, Cleveland, Washington, Detroit, Chicago, and Atlanta that's not a ton of teams that we'd have to beat out in a deal considering the leftover teams don't really have an overwhelming advantage. I don't really see the trade that overwhelmingly beats a Fournier-Simmons and picks package unless Philly wants to step up and go Covington-fultz.

Now I can see our front office saying "we're not going to give up assets for a player who could leave in a year. We're not at that point of the rebuild yet". But I don't think Minnesota is going to get something much better than what we could reasonably offer

Sorry for the slightly off topic question but what podcast if any would you guys recommended to get me ready for fantasy basketball this season. I have some brushing up to do before drafting starts.

• Like 1

Minnesota is looking at the things in return for Butler

Talent

Perimeter Wing scoring

Playoff depth

They're pretty set at center, power forward, and point guard. 

Toronto's deal would have to be something like anunoby, miles, and green. 

Indiana-Bogdan and Thad Young? Though I don't know if young is that valuable to them when they already have Gibson, tolliver, and dieng

Miami- Richardson and waiters would be interesting though Miami only has this years pick and the 2023 pick to offer so I don't know if they'd include it as they can't put protections on it. 

Knicks could go hardaway and Knox. Not sure they would with porz out. Not a good chance to keep him by subjecting him to a Burke-Lee-Lance Thomas-kanter lineup. 

Brooklyn doesn't really have a package that makes sense as their value pieces are all points and fours. 

Charlotte would have to set up a deal built around Jeremy lamb. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

You'd think so but there are a lot of constraints that might put a cap on what Minnesota can expect to receive. 

The towns extension puts an artificial timeline of October 15th to get this done. Meaning any free agents from this past summer can't be included in the deal. 

Minnesota's salary situation hurts their ability to take back more salary than they'd be sending out. 

Minnesota being in a situation where they want to continue to make the playoffs means they should be hesitant to trade him in conference and strengthen a rival. If they were going full rebuild it'd be a different story. 

Butler being able to leave next summer hurts his trade value. Teams won't go all in on a deal. 

So if you eliminate the West, Boston, Cleveland, Washington, Detroit, Chicago, and Atlanta that's not a ton of teams that we'd have to beat out in a deal considering the leftover teams don't really have an overwhelming advantage. I don't really see the trade that overwhelmingly beats a Fournier-Simmons and picks package unless Philly wants to step up and go Covington-fultz.

Now I can see our front office saying "we're not going to give up assets for a player who could leave in a year. We're not at that point of the rebuild yet". But I don't think Minnesota is going to get something much better than what we could reasonably offer

I like where your head is at and agree with a good deal of the constraints here.  I guess where I am a touch more pessimistic is that I don't think MIN will necessarily eliminate all West teams as potential trade partners.  I think they could probably find a deal with a lower-tier or middle-of-the-pack West team that they feel serves them better than a Fournier-Simmons package while not significantly enhancing that other team.

Then again, this is me just taking the field and not thinking through specific packages like you've done.  So it could very well be the case that the cupboard is barren for those sorts of West teams too.