magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm not really worried about his weight impact on his game. 

I am worried about his weight impact on his legs. Knees weren't meant to send 280 lbs 40 inches into the air a dozen times a night 82 nights a year for 10 years. 

Wasn't Barkley playing close to that weight for much of his career? And Barkley was pretty darn athletic. Same with Lebron, he has since cut weight, but he was approaching 280 at one point.

So it is definitely possible to have a long career while playing at a high weight, but he would need to change up his game to be less reliant on his athleticism- but he probably has to do that anyway.

8 minutes ago, Odin said:

Wasn't Barkley playing close to that weight for much of his career? And Barkley was pretty darn athletic. Same with Lebron, he has since cut weight, but he was approaching 280 at one point.

So it is definitely possible to have a long career while playing at a high weight, but he would need to change up his game to be less reliant on his athleticism- but he probably has to do that anyway.

Barkley was athletic, but he did most of his rebounding by establishing position and using his weight to move people. Barkley did start with a 37" vertical, but he wasn't subjecting his legs, knees, and ankles to the same kind of repeated impact and compression that Zion is. Barkley's low playing weight was about 250, so yes, he probably was up in the 270-280 range for most of his career. I think Barkley is a good comp for what Zion's ceiling is, and I wouldn't mind having him; I'm just not sure that he is worth tanking for. As someone else said, he is one injury away from being Glen Davis. Again, a decent floor, but not worth tanking for. 

Lebron was not 280 pounds at 18, and he really is an outlier as far as what is physically possible. 

48 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Barkley was athletic, but he did most of his rebounding by establishing position and using his weight to move people. Barkley did start with a 37" vertical, but he wasn't subjecting his legs, knees, and ankles to the same kind of repeated impact and compression that Zion is. Barkley's low playing weight was about 250, so yes, he probably was up in the 270-280 range for most of his career. I think Barkley is a good comp for what Zion's ceiling is, and I wouldn't mind having him; I'm just not sure that he is worth tanking for. As someone else said, he is one injury away from being Glen Davis. Again, a decent floor, but not worth tanking for. 

Lebron was not 280 pounds at 18, and he really is an outlier as far as what is physically possible. 

I think you can enjoy talented college players without feeling like you have to tank for them.

And we are discussing overall playing weights, not necessarily what players came into the league weighing. I am just saying that it is possible for him to continue playing at that weight and have a successful career, though I do think it is likely better for him to drop down some.

He is definitely an interesting prospect though. Not a type that we have seen for a while. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

1 hour ago, Odin said:

I think you can enjoy talented college players without feeling like you have to tank for them.

And we are discussing overall playing weights, not necessarily what players came into the league weighing. I am just saying that it is possible for him to continue playing at that weight and have a successful career, though I do think it is likely better for him to drop down some.

He is definitely an interesting prospect though. Not a type that we have seen for a while. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

1) Absolutely agree 100%, I can enjoy without feeling a need to tank.

2) I would agree with possible, but not necessarily probable. Most players enter the league at or near their career minimum weight. Most put on weight either because of a workout regime adding muscle, because they are still growing, an inability to workout due to injury, insufficient discipline with food/workout, or (like many of us) just plain aging. 

3) He is definitely an interesting prospect, and not a type/size that we have seen a lot of recently. I'm definitely interested to see how he develops. There have been a few other guys over the years who have been touted as the next "round mound of rebound", i.e. Charles Barkley; and he definitely fits that mold, albeit even more athletic, and I wish him the best. I just don't hold my breath on him overcoming the probable and achieving the possible. 

Zion is one guy in the last decade I would tank for. He is a man child if he was able to come into this last draft he would’ve been a top 3 pick. He is a freak athletically. Has a nice stroke too. A lot of his weight is baby fat or a poor diet imo. If he loses that and gets in prime shape he will be a force in the league. He is only one inch shorter than Lebron with more muscle and athleticism when lebron came out of HS. 

Should we tank for him NO!  Unless Gordon and Isaac do not develop they way they should this year. 

10 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Zion is one guy in the last decade I would tank for. He is a man child if he was able to come into this last draft he would’ve been a top 3 pick. He is a freak athletically. Has a nice stroke too. A lot of his weight is baby fat or a poor diet imo. If he loses that and gets in prime shape he will be a force in the league. He is only one inch shorter than Lebron with more muscle and athleticism when lebron came out of HS. 

Should we tank for him NO!  Unless Gordon and Isaac do not develop they way they should this year. 

At which point, it’s not tanking. It’s accepting fate.

Zion is a player I'm indifferent to.  What I've read, he lacks no defined game.  He's just an athletic body.  Abstract to say the least.  

5 hours ago, ~O~ said:

Zion is a player I'm indifferent to.  What I've read, he lacks no defined game.  He's just an athletic body.  Abstract to say the least.  

I don't know how this inspires indifference. 

I don't think he's going to be fantastic but he's really fun at least. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't know how this inspires indifference. 

I don't think he's going to be fantastic but he's really fun at least. 

Dam! He is fantastic right now!  Future? Who knows. If you are indifferent about this guy then u need to check your pulse. 

15 hours ago, ~O~ said:

9 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Ok. That was beautiful footwork.  Its the same standard I'd hold to our Magic players.  Do it in the league and improve.  Become elite.  Easier said than done as it takes about 4 years to truly master techniques.