magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

30 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Issac is never going to be Durant or even a third tier version of Durant. Andre Kirilenko or Tayshaun Prince is more likely

While Kirilinko or Prince are both decent outcomes, I sincerely hope and expect that they will be Isaac's floor. I don't expect him to become Durant, Davis, or KG, but I hope he will be closer to that end of the spectrum. 

54 minutes ago, ~O~ said:

At this point, we should all hold onto some varied chimera.  Though rationalism points to a grounded reality to lowered expectations, I'd like to keep my spirits high for these  youngsters.  I'm worn out from complaining and the tank has been a half a decade long with no light.  I'll make some imaginative unrealistic light of my own if its not feasible in reality.    

I believe in your assessment.  Isaac is gifted and can be a go-to scorer if given the chance.  I see him becoming like a power forward version of Giannis.

18 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

While Kirilinko or Prince are both decent outcomes, I sincerely hope and expect that they will be Isaac's floor. I don't expect him to become Durant, Davis, or KG, but I hope he will be closer to that end of the spectrum. 

Andre Kirilenko is criminally underrated. If he came around 10 years later we'd have better advanced stats to show his value and he'd be a max contract guy. 

His second year as a 21 year old he was 6th in the league in box score plus minus, 13th in win shares per 48, 12th in VORP, had a PER of 21.1. 

The following year he was second in the league in box score plus minus behind only prime Garnett, was second in VORP, 14th in win shares per 48, PER of 22.6. led a team starting arroyo, deshawn Stevenson, a blend of Matt Harpring/Tom Guggliotta/Michael Ruffin, and Greg Ostertag to 42 wins.

This continued for another two years

Basically what this means is he had the on court impact of an MVP candidate without the raw numbers. 

But if raw numbers are your thing he also led the league in blocks per game one year and finished in the top 3 for 3 consecutive years. 

41 minutes ago, Catalina Maria said:

I believe in your assessment.  Isaac is gifted and can be a go-to scorer if given the chance.  I see him becoming like a power forward version of Giannis.

There's a gigantic gulf between "I think he could be a go to scorer" and "I think he could be among the greatest scorers of all time". 

I think if you're expecting him to ever exceed 20ppg you're setting yourself up for disappointment and completely misunderstanding what makes Isaac a valuable player. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that he becomes Antawn Jamison. I wouldn't expect it. But that's still so far away from Durant. 

A really good version of Isaac's career is Josh Smith but the version of Josh Smith that everyone could see was right there within reach but he never really got there. 

Basically what people wish Josh Smith was instead of what he ultimately became. 

But the box score numbers are what I'd expect. 8 year prime of 16.7 ppg 8.2 rpg 3.5 apg 2 bpg 1.5 spg

2 hours ago, ~O~ said:

Though rationalism points to a grounded reality to lowered expectations, I'd like to keep my spirits high for these  youngsters. 

This is where I'm at, to be honest.

I never count people out of being a good to scorer. It's all about opportunity to me. Examples people like a Jimmy Butler or Vic

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

I never count people out of being a good to scorer. It's all about opportunity to me. Examples people like a Jimmy Butler or Vic

Kawhi also had a major spike in production. Isaac's potential is at least similar to 2nd year Kawhi. I don't like putting caps on players, especially young ones.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Kawhi also had a major spike in production. Isaac's potential is at least similar to 2nd year Kawhi. I don't like putting caps on players, especially young ones.

Wild expectations result in many fans thinking Isaac is already a bust

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Andre Kirilenko is criminally underrated. If he came around 10 years later we'd have better advanced stats to show his value and he'd be a max contract guy. 

His second year as a 21 year old he was 6th in the league in box score plus minus, 13th in win shares per 48, 12th in VORP, had a PER of 21.1. 

The following year he was second in the league in box score plus minus behind only prime Garnett, was second in VORP, 14th in win shares per 48, PER of 22.6. led a team starting arroyo, deshawn Stevenson, a blend of Matt Harpring/Tom Guggliotta/Michael Ruffin, and Greg Ostertag to 42 wins.

This continued for another two years

Basically what this means is he had the on court impact of an MVP candidate without the raw numbers. 

But if raw numbers are your thing he also led the league in blocks per game one year and finished in the top 3 for 3 consecutive years. 

I would love it if Isaac became prime Kirilenko, but for a longer period of time, not just 4-6 good years, but 11-14 years. I thought Kirilenko was on pace to become a top player of his generation, and then he started to go down-hill a bit and plateau at far less than his potential. Don't remember what happened, but he never took that next step. My hope is that Isaac does. 

12 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I would love it if Isaac became prime Kirilenko, but for a longer period of time, not just 4-6 good years, but 11-14 years. I thought Kirilenko was on pace to become a top player of his generation, and then he started to go down-hill a bit and plateau at far less than his potential. Don't remember what happened, but he never took that next step. My hope is that Isaac does. 

Something might have been up with Deron Williams because when he took a big step his sophomore year Kirilenko's usage dropped to sub-Biyombo levels. Then Kirilenko let that effect his game then publicly requested a trade. Then Utah signed Korver and drafted Millsap and his role was impacted by the depth.