magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

19 hours ago, jjgator said:

Oh yeah, they need a new one. Does anyone actually eat those crappy national chain pizzas?

That's like asking if people eat McDonald's

• Upvote 1

Anyone have a hypothesis as to why one team would have to shoulder the burden of taking on both "home" games?  There are 3 teams playing a total of 2 games.  Couldn't 2 teams each be the home team once to share the hassle?

1 hour ago, jec said:

That's like asking if people eat McDonald's

I guess. I go to McDonald's once in a while, but I never get pizza at those chain pizzas places. It's just as easy to order a pizza from one of the better local places here, and the price isn't much different and the time to make the pizza isn't different after all. When it comes to burgers/chicken sandwiches there are better local places here, but McDonald's is a lot cheaper(they have ridiculously good deals sometimes on their mobile app) and faster, so I will get something there once in a while.

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

So the big announcement is we're "hosting" two regular season "home games" in Mexico City in December.  Kinda sucks that 2 of our home games will be, like, not actually at home.

At least the team doesn't have to travel after playing the Bulls and before playing the Jazz.

2 hours ago, ML6 said:

So the big announcement is we're "hosting" two regular season "home games" in Mexico City in December.  Kinda sucks that 2 of our home games will be, like, not actually at home.

Not even in Orlando anymore and I dislike this. I always hate when sports teams do this type of stuff. The fans that come out in Mexico City likely will just be NBA fans rather than Magic fans.

Run all the pre-season games you want in other countries (like soccer teams), but your home games should always be in your actual stadium filled (hopefully) with your actual fans.

One interesting thing they could do, if they decided to change the schedule, would be to cut down the number of regular season games and add in a tournament in the middle with the winner for example getting better playoff seeding or better top pick odds. The finals and semi-finals could be held on neutral ground. Then you aren't stealing any regular season games and you have the argument that you are hosting the final few games on neutral ground.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ML6 said:

Anyone have a hypothesis as to why one team would have to shoulder the burden of taking on both "home" games?  There are 3 teams playing a total of 2 games.  Couldn't 2 teams each be the home team once to share the hassle?

Bet we get a bigger chunk of the money

18 minutes ago, Odin said:

Not even in Orlando anymore and I dislike this. I always hate when sports teams do this type of stuff. The fans that come out in Mexico City likely will just be NBA fans rather than Magic fans.

Run all the pre-season games you want in other countries (like soccer teams), but your home games should always be in your actual stadium filled (hopefully) with your actual fans.

One interesting thing they could do, if they decided to change the schedule, would be to cut down the number of regular season games and add in a tournament in the middle with the winner for example getting better playoff seeding or better top pick odds. The finals and semi-finals could be held on neutral ground. Then you aren't stealing any regular season games and you have the argument that you are hosting the final few games on neutral ground.

I'm in favor of branching out. I just wish they'd schedule it at the beginning of the season or right before all star break so it makes more sense

1 hour ago, jjgator said:

I guess. I go to McDonald's once in a while, but I never get pizza at those chain pizzas places. It's just as easy to order a pizza from one of the better local places here, and the price isn't much different and the time to make the pizza isn't different after all. When it comes to burgers/chicken sandwiches there are better local places here, but McDonald's is a lot cheaper(they have ridiculously good deals sometimes on their mobile app) and faster, so I will get something there once in a while.

Yeah, I don't like that stuff either. 

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm in favor of branching out. I just wish they'd schedule it at the beginning of the season or right before all star break so it makes more sense

I dont mind that either but what about doing in places that can be helpful to a community. I have not seen any team lately play a regular game in either Hawaii or Puerto Rico. This are both Islands that has been devastated recently by natural disasters. 1-2 games can helped tremendously with their struggling economy by giving back a little. Not to mention they are both part of the United States. 

Both states/territories have Venues that can easely put over 30k people in the stands. 

For the Magic, Puerto Rico is an easy 2-3  hour flight on an east coast trip. Easy to go. No need for passports and players family/ personal and hardcore fans can easely go as well. Same country. Eastern time so we can also see the games on TV at the same time at night.

the same goes for Hawaii on a west coast trip. 

Is all about giving back.