magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I mean technically we could sign two more players to two way deals and just pick the two we want to keep the day before the preseason. 

I was under the impression you could only have 2 players on 2-way contracts at any one time.

10 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I was under the impression you could only have 2 players on 2-way contracts at any one time.

We ostensibly have 3 guys on two way contracts right now. 

There are basically two different types of two way contracts. 1. Two way contracts. 2. Exhibit 10 contracts which are two way convertible. 

There's basically no real advantage to considering them different. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

There are basically two different types of two way contracts. 1. Two way contracts. 2. Exhibit 10 contracts which are two way convertible. 

There's basically no real advantage to considering them different. 

If you already have 2 guys on a 2-way and want to convert an Exhibit 10 contract to a 2-way, don't you have to terminate one of the previous 2 way contracts to maintain only 2 at any one time? 

On 7/30/2018 at 8:11 AM, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://hoopshype.com/2018/07/29/nba-projections-top-30-point-guards-stephen-curry-russell-westbrook/

Ranking the top 30 point guards for next season.  Not surprising to see no one from the Magic on the list.

We need to snag one of these guys. Guys to watch on the trade market are Walker, Rozier, Ball and Teague. I’d even be fine adding Dragic or Bledsoe, if the price is right.

6 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

If you already have 2 guys on a 2-way and want to convert an Exhibit 10 contract to a 2-way, don't you have to terminate one of the previous 2 way contracts to maintain only 2 at any one time? 

Yeah.

But you only have 15 +2 roster spots but have 20 total roster spots available for camp. So I don't think we need to differentiate until we're up to cuts. Because if Rodas outplays Jefferson in preseason he'll get that two way spot. 

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah.

But you only have 15 +2 roster spots but have 20 total roster spots available for camp. So I don't think we need to differentiate until we're up to cuts. Because if Rodas outplays Jefferson in preseason he'll get that two way spot. 

Thanks...wanted to make sure I was interpreting this portion of the cba correctly

2 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Thanks...wanted to make sure I was interpreting this portion of the cba correctly

Yeah. I mean you were never wrong it's just a differentiation between perspectives. 

22 hours ago, ML6 said:

Isn't that exactly what makes it amazing -- that he actually did something?  The expectation you described is ideal, but as you're alluding to, not often enacted.  Based on your point that rich people should be doing stuff like this, but generally don't, doesn't it make it all the more impactful to see someone actually use their wealth this way?

It's a pretty jaded reaction to scoff and say it's no big deal that those poor kids now have this opportunity.

WHAT ABOUT THE TEACHERS????????

I find it amazing that some of you people are giving all this praise to LeBron James for having a school built for 4th and 5th graders which will serve only a small population of students in Akron, Ohio. But not once have I seen a post thanking the hundreds of thousands of teachers in this country who spend countless hours in the classroom and outside the classroom, working toward the betterment of our young people.

Teachers salaries are a drop in the bucket compared to what LeBron earns--and might I add, many of them have to work a second job to make ends meet--and yet many of them (including myself) use their pay to purchase supplies (outside of a budget) to pay for materials to use in the classroom. Many teachers work after hours, on weekends, and during the summer, attending workshops (and don't receive overtime pay) to enhance the  knowledge of the subject matter in which they teach in order to bring their students up to speed and be able to use what they have learned in life. I remember a female teacher where I worked rode a bicycle to school every day because she could not afford a car. She also rode that bicycle to a part-time job after school.

Teachers have to deal with more than learning styles, but also attitudes and poor behavior.

I know! As I have mentioned before, I am a retired teacher.

BTW: I wonder if the teachers who work at LeBron's school will see the benefits of LeBron's millions in their paycheck.

• Downvote 6

55 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I find it amazing that some of you people are giving all this praise to LeBron James for having a school built for 4th and 5th graders which will serve only a small population of students in Akron, Ohio. But not once have I seen a post thanking the hundreds of thousands of teachers in this country who spend countless hours in the classroom and outside the classroom, working toward the betterment of our young people.

Teachers salaries are a drop in the bucket compared to what LeBron earns--and might I add, many of them have to work a second job to make ends meet--and yet many of them (including myself) use their pay to purchase supplies (outside of a budget) to pay for materials to use in the classroom. Many teachers work after hours, on weekends, and during the summer, attending workshops (and don't receive overtime pay) to enhance the  knowledge of the subject matter in which they teach in order to bring their students up to speed and be able to use what they have learned in life. I remember a female teacher where I worked rode a bicycle to school every day because she could not afford a car. She also rode that bicycle to a part-time job after school.

Teachers have to deal with more than learning styles, but also attitudes and poor behavior.

BTW: I wonder if the teachers who work at LeBron's school will see the benefits of LeBron's millions in their paycheck.

This is a poor argument. Praising one good act does not diminish other good acts or a lifetime of service. Raising up the good Lebron does in his communities does not decrease the positive effects and the hard work put in by teachers every day. Doing good is not a zero sum game.

And do you not feel that this comment is self serving? "Look I was a teacher and teachers deserve more credit/ respect for their hard work". What if we all went around doing that for our jobs. "I am a civil engineer and civil engineer's contributions to society are often overlooked as we create safe infrastructure." "I am a martial arts instructor and martial arts instructors are not given enough credit for teaching people how to protect themselves, therefor making our streets safer." etc. (Ok, maybe a little silly, but I think the point stands. There are plenty of people who do great things for society who are not given the credit, praise, or respect that they are due. But it seems a little self-righteous and insincere when the person making the comment is a part of that group.)

And that isn't to say that teachers don't deserve credit or praise. It just isn't relevant. Honestly, this might be the the most bizarre version of whataboutism I have seen.

And I think bringing these things to the light is a good thing. I would call it the Carnegie effect. When Carnegie sold his steel empire, he gave away his money all over the place. This prompted other wealthy businessmen of the same time period to do the same. By promoting the good works of others, we make doing the same good works more common-place, and, in my opinion, increase the likelihood that others follow in those footsteps of doing good works.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

This is a pretty illogical argument. You don't have to praise every single positive social impact made in society when a specific person does something good. You're allowed to highlight individual acts.