magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, Gordon MVP said:

Why? He didn’t seem impressive at all last season 

He's a legitimate NBA rotation player (nothing special) and having 6 of those guys instead of 5 is important especially considering it was at our weakest position in terms of depth. And his play style fits our philosophy. Super athlete. Perimeter oriented 4. Defense. Hustle. 

Ultimately he's available for a reason. He's got weaknesses. Not an intuitive player. But stocking your cupboards with flawed hustle guys is a good way to get cheap wins in the middle of a season. That's basically how Chicago won 10 out of 12 on a stretch. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

There's always teams making the playoffs with 5-6 guys averaging double figures and playing elite defense with no stars. 

That is a "plus" comment as far as I am concerned.  If we stay major injury free (there will always be some but no season ending type) and if Bamba lasts the entire year like Tatum did (improbable as that seems) we could be that "why not us" team that Clifford discussed.    This is a more unlikely scenario but not out of the question.

33 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

That is a "plus" comment as far as I am concerned.  If we stay major injury free (there will always be some but no season ending type) and if Bamba lasts the entire year like Tatum did (improbable as that seems) we could be that "why not us" team that Clifford discussed.    This is a more unlikely scenario but not out of the question.

We’ll have plenty of “injuries”. I mean idk if it’s just me but it seems like when someone gets a bruise on their leg they miss 10 games. Idk if that’s just the product of “tanking” but it seems like our doctors and FO are overly cautious with injuries and I don’t see that changing especially with Issac and Bamba. 

5 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

We’ll have plenty of “injuries”. I mean idk if it’s just me but it seems like when someone gets a bruise on their leg they miss 10 games. Idk if that’s just the product of “tanking” but it seems like our doctors and FO are overly cautious with injuries and I don’t see that changing especially with Issac and Bamba. 

Well we fired everyone from the training staff so I guess they weren't following orders

I just love how we turned a guy we were going to cut into cash from 2 teams and a good depth bench guy in a position of need.

• Upvote 3

You know how coal mining is outdated, awful for the planet, and dangerous for the people who do it ... and yet there are still coal miners demanding that we subsidize coal mining instead of more financially and environmentally sound energy sources? That’s Dwight Howard.

Or maybe people hate Howard because he loves candy. He loves it so much that he almost destroyed his nervous system, eating the sugar equivalent of 24 candy bars a day. Doctors had to order him to stop. Dwight still enjoys a treat now and then; SI’s Jenkins noted last year that when his five kids (from five different mothers) are in town, they drink slushies and watch movies together, because the kids’ “taste in food and cinema is not much different from their father’s.”

But why would you hate somebody for eating candy? In fact, why would you hate a person for any of these reasons? It’s this lack of an obvious explanation that makes the Howard hate unique. Other disliked sports figures (Lance Armstrong, A-Rod, LeBron post-Decision, etc.) tend to have a crisis moment when they become disliked: a stunning controversy or scandal; a prominent failure on a major stage; a ruthless free-agency decision that alienated a fan base. With Howard, however, there’s been nothing of the sort. He’s never had a moment when he’s changed.

And that’s precisely the problem. He still loves the same things children love. He still believes his corny jokes will win people over. And he’s the same way when it comes to basketball: He clings to the belief that playing an antiquated style will lead his team to glory, even as the game passes him by. He believes that every new stop is the one in which he will be proved right.

Normally, fans love athletes with individuality, but Howard’s individuality is annoying. And annoying isn’t a quality that an athlete can apologize for, thus setting the stage for a redemption story. No lone joke or botched-team-chemistry scenario would single-handedly ruin a player’s reputation; over the years, though, Dwight Howard has become the NBA’s hangnail.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/7/25/17613910/dwight-howard-hate-wizards-magic-lakers-rockets-hawks-hornets

11 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Wait—you’re trying to counter that our bench is gonna be better than expected than you mention Iwundu? He’s Horrible. 

Simms is above Iwandu, I keep forgetting about him, but I don’t think  Iwandu is that bad, he is a really good perimeter defender but just can’t shoot yet. He has to improve his shooting and then he will be serviceable. It does seem the FO is committed to him, but he will have to improve to stay on floor. Melvin will be going at him; another non shooter.

32 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

Simms is above Iwandu, I keep forgetting about him, but I don’t think  Iwandu is that bad, he is a really good perimeter defender but just can’t shoot yet. He has to improve his shooting and then he will be serviceable. It does seem the FO is committed to him, but he will have to improve to stay on floor. Melvin will be going at him; another non shooter.

Iwundu isn't bad in a vacuum. Iwundu is bad if you put him on the court with even one other non-offensive guy. 

A temporary Augustin-Fournier-iwundu-Gordon-Vuc lineup probably works fine. 

A Grant-Ross-iwundu-Isaac-Bamba lineup is going to play really ugly basketball

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

Iwundu needs to learn how to play a DannyGreen/Trevor Ariza type of Basketball. He was working on that last year and did relatively well. This Summer league he tried to be more than that and that is why he failed. He will be back to his own role on the team once the season starts. At least we hope so.

8 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Iwundu needs to learn how to play a DannyGreen/Trevor Ariza type of Basketball. He was working on that last year and did relatively well. This Summer league he tried to be more than that and that is why he failed. He will be back to his own role on the team once the season starts. At least we hope so.

I agree with you. We have to understand what summer league is really about and that’s showing what you’ve added to your game. The regular season is a totally different story.