magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

I just don't understand this move for the Raptors. If you were going to make a trade...I'd say you move Lowry before you move DeRozan. Maybe the Spurs didn't want Lowry but man this just seems like a dumb move for the Raptors. 

I do think it is kinda funny that Leonard is like "I want to go to L.A."

Spurs FO... "Okay...go to Toronto" haha

• Upvote 1

No brainer deal for Toronto. They were dead in the water not getting any better. Sure they’d win 55 games again but can’t beat Boston. This is like the OKC gamble on PG. Why wouldn’t you do it? 

Derozan is overpaid too. 

Just now, HeHateMe said:

No brainer deal for Toronto. They were dead in the water not getting any better. Sure they’d win 55 games again but can’t beat Boston. This is like the OKC gamble on PG. Why wouldn’t you do it? 

Derozan is overpaid too. 

Yeah. Makes perfect sense for Toronto. Spurs probably could have gotten more

Why would Leonard refuse to play in Toronto? They have a great fan base and the east, in theory, is open. He could make a push to the finals if he’s 100% healthy again. 

I refuse to beleive he’s that much of an ******* to not play next year. 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. Makes perfect sense for Toronto. Spurs probably could have gotten more

I wouldnt be the least bit excited if I was a spurs fan right now. I’d actually be quite upset. 

Just now, HeHateMe said:

I wouldnt be the least bit excited if I was a spurs fan right now. I’d actually be quite upset. 

I get wanting DeRozan. I don't understand settling for just a heavily protected first and poeltl. Would have demanded another one of their young guys at least

40 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

The only way it's bad for Toronto is that DeRozen loved the Raptors and is a great human being. Kawhi is an amazing player but seems like a total ******* otherwise.

Yep. Cant wait for his media day introduction as a Raptor.  Any links will be grealty appreciated. LOL!

Believe it or not, the Magic have not definitively plugged their point guard hole with the trade for Jerian Grant. And they're not going to remedy this years-long quagmire (sorry, Elfrid Payton stans) in next June's draft.

Point guards are not available in ample supply in the 2019 rookie class. The battle for best floor general looks like it'll unfurl between Vanderbilt's Darius Garland and Kansas' Quentin Grimes, who is more of a combo guard. Duke's Zion Williamson will draw some appeal as a setup forward, but Orlando already has its share of jump-shot projects on the depth chart.

Free agency will be the quickest, most effective route to adding a capable playmaker—even if the Magic draft one with what should be a top-five pick. Renouncing Grant (restricted), Terrence Ross and Nikola Vucevic opens up more than $15 million in room. Waiving Jonathon Simmons ($1 million guarantee) while ditching all other free-agent holds slingshots them north of $25 million.

Orlando should be more reserved with its point guard spending. Next year's crop is devoid of a star other than Kemba Walker, and despite his familiarity with head coach Steve Clifford, he's too old and expensive for suitors adhering to rebuilding timelines.

High-priced offer sheets for restricted free agents like Terry Rozier and D'Angelo Russell are up the Magic's alley...until they realize they'd be overpaying for Terry Rozier and D'Angelo Russell.

Dropping down a peg or two for Patrick Beverley, Spencer Dinwiddie and Delon Wright is the smarter play. And Dinwiddie does the best job of melding immediate impact with untapped upside. He has grown exponentially as a pick-and-roll ball-handler, shot 37.2 percent on spot-up threes, can competently defend certain wings and will only be entering his age-26 season in 2019-20.

Brooklyn will want to keep him. Orlando isn't getting him for small potatoes. But the Nets will have some tough decisions on their hands with Russell and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson due for raises. Dinwiddie could become collateral damage of their return or the pursuit of a Jimmy Butler- or Kyrie Irving-type.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786320-predicting-every-nba-teams-best-2019-free-agency-target#slide22

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I think they are pretty close to blowing things up so one year to see if you can convince Kawhi to stay is worth it in their mind. Worst case scenario they've created a situation where if he leaves they have 80+million in expiring contracts for the following year and only like 20 million committed for the summer of 2020

Weltman got out at the right time.  Raptors=lottery bound even with money.  Long rebuild.  Who wants to go to Canada.