magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

33 minutes ago, Miller4Prez66 said:

The Raptors just made a terrible decision. They gave up their best player on a long term deal for a guy causing drama with the best organization in the league and is coming off a serious injury. To top it off, Kawhi supposedly has zero interest in staying there. They are hoping for a situation like Paul George in OKC, but I think Kawhi is more hard headed than George. Great deal for the Spurs though.

I think they are pretty close to blowing things up so one year to see if you can convince Kawhi to stay is worth it in their mind. Worst case scenario they've created a situation where if he leaves they have 80+million in expiring contracts for the following year and only like 20 million committed for the summer of 2020

13 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

To be clear are there any actual consequences if Kawhi refuses to play next year besides it looking bad? If not Toronto may be in a world of trouble.  

I think there are a couple different scenarios at play here:

1) If he refuses to report to Toronto for the mandatory physical/medical check within a fairly short time (1 week?) they could void the trade. At that point, SA could either look for other trades or, potentially, void his contract; meaning he would not get paid and they would get nothing but cap relief for him. 

2) He could report for the physical, not pass, and if he doesn't pass, Toronto could void the trade. Then he would be back to being San Antonio's problem, and the likelihood of anyone else trading for him becomes very small. SA loses out in this scenario as well, because now the continue to pay him (or insurance does) while he sits/rehabs; and doubtful they get an exception for him. 

3) He could report for the physical, pass it; but then refuse to play/report for camp. This is where Toronto is screwed. If he refuses to play, they could potentially void his contract; and again, he would not get paid and they would have given up DeRozan, and get nothing but maybe cap relief.

Realistically he doesn't have anything to gain, and much to lose by not reporting or refusing to play. That could result in his contract being voided, him losing out on this year's money, and open him up to a potential lawsuit from SA/their insurance company for last year's money. Also, I don't think LA has the cap room to sign him to a big money deal now if his contract is voided. 

I think the most likely scenario is that he goes to Toronto, has a reoccurring "injury" that keeps him on the bench/doing rehab through Feb/Mar, comes back just long enough at the end of the season to show everyone he is back, and then signs with LA next summer. This way he keeps this years money, he only has to play a limited time in Toronto, and he gets to go where he wants next year. 

Feel for Demar getting shipped like that but the lack of playoff success will do that. Toronto now need to convince Kawhi to stay otherwise they gave up quite a lot for a lot of cap space and not much else.

20 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Feel for Demar getting shipped like that but the lack of playoff success will do that. Toronto now need to convince Kawhi to stay otherwise they gave up quite a lot for a lot of cap space and not much else.

I feel for Demar from a loyalty standpoint,  but Popp “may” be the best thing that ever happened to him

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I feel for Demar from a loyalty standpoint,  but Popp “may” be the best thing that ever happened to him

Why did you put quotation marks around May?

34 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Why did you put quotation marks around May?

Cause I’m not 100% on it, but if anybody can fix Derozan’s mental issues in big games, it’s gotta be Gregg Poppovich

14 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Cause I’m not 100% on it, but if anybody can fix Derozan’s mental issues in big games, it’s gotta be Gregg Poppovich

Agreed. Demar has the talent but lacks the mental edge. Pop is the greatest coach of all time. If anyone can get the best out of Demar, it's Pop. 

8 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Just using the word may does that for you already.

• Like 1