magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

23 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

So Chicago's lineup last year was basically Dunn-holiday-?-markkanen-Lopez

This year it's going to be dunn-lavine-Parker-markkanen-Carter

They had their great run last year running a Grant-zipser-nwaba-mirotic-portis bench unit. That lineup messed with other teams by just playing with high energy. 

They're definitely more talented now, but who defends LeBron? Durant? Giannis? And so on...

I don't think the difference will end up being as big as we hope, but if we break it down, who is their best player? Parker? Lavine? Carter?

Augustin (If we have last year's Augustin) is fairly equivalent to Dunn. He was better last year, but Dunn likely has some room for improvement, so I would call it a wash.

Fournier is fairly equivalent to Lavine. Lavine is young, so again has more room for improvement, and is more athletic, but Fournier is at least a mediocre defender.

Isaac and Parker are the wild cards. Parker is the better offensive player- but honestly, kind of mediocre when it comes to efficiency and seems to be more of a ball stopping scorer then a guy that works within the offense. He is also a minus defender. Isaac on the other hand projects as an elite defender with an okay offensive move-set. I think it goes to Isaac, as a player who is elite on one end and okay on the other should be more valuable than a player who is good to very good on one end but bad on the other. (Is it bad that I think of Jabari as the tweener version of Vucevic? That is probably not fair, right?)

Gordon vs Markkanen is a definite win for us. I think Gordon is clearly better than any player on the Bulls, though I am sure that someone would try to argue with me.

Bamba/Vuch vs Carter/Lopez. As Bamba and Carter are both rookies, I cannot really predict which will be better this year. Vuch is more talented than Lopez, but I kind of feel like Lopez has a more positive effect on team play.

Our bench is probably slightly better than theirs.

Over all though, I think the Magic should just do better based on identity and team fit. The Magic are potentially an elite defensive team, if enough things go right, with enough offensive talent to be able to grind out some games. The Bulls, on the other hand, are filled with offensive players of mostly mediocre efficiency who are generally poor at defense. Both teams are young, but I also think we have a lot more potential hiding in our team then they do.

• Upvote 1

On Grant:

I think that if anyone is expecting Grant to be more than a decent 2nd-3rd string point guard, they are setting themselves up to be disappointed. I think we should hope that he plays well enough to not hurt the team and allows us to see if the strategy of getting a bunch of long guys that are at least mediocre at defense on the floor together works. He has basically been mediocre at best at everything besides having good size.

Really, he is most likely just going to help us see if the strategy of size, length, and defense at every position will work. Obviously, if he shows improvement, then great. But don't hold your breath for anything more than an adequate back-up. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

So Chicago's lineup last year was basically Dunn-holiday-?-markkanen-Lopez

This year it's going to be dunn-lavine-Parker-markkanen-Carter

They had their great run last year running a Grant-zipser-nwaba-mirotic-portis bench unit. That lineup messed with other teams by just playing with high energy. 

They're definitely more talented now, but who defends LeBron? Durant? Giannis? And so on...

Yea I just feel they’re more talented right now.

With as nba ready as Carter looked and with Lauri building off an impressive rookie year—I give them the edge now. That could easily change but their starting 5 is young, clearly defined and solid. 

We don’t even know who we’re starting. We’ll probably have another year of constant tinkering with the starting lineup which I’m not a fan of. Chicago will have the advantage of those same 5 being locked in and building chemistry from opening night playing together. 

I like the upside of our last 2 picks (Issac and Bamba) more than Carter and Lauri (though I do really like both of those guys and did so in the pre-deft process as well) I just think we have higher ceiling guys. 

Having said that I think Chicago wins more than us next year. If they’re healthy they just have more immediate talent. I actually think they’ll be the 8 seed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

With as nba ready as Carter looked and with Lauri building off an impressive rookie year—I give them the edge now. That could easily change but their starting 5 is young, clearly defined and solid. 

We don’t even know who we’re starting. We’ll probably have another year of constant tinkering with the starting lineup which I’m not a fan of. Chicago will have the advantage of those same 5 being locked in and building chemistry from opening night playing together. 

I like the upside of our last 2 picks (Issac and Bamba) more than Carter and Lauri (though I do really like both of those guys and did so in the pre-deft process as well) I just think we have higher ceiling guys. 

Having said that I think Chicago wins more than us next year. If they’re healthy they just have more immediate talent. I actually think they’ll be the 8 seed. 

So, I might be wrong, but I think ?4thewin meant the Bulls are more talented than they were last year- not necessarily that they should be better than us. That defense is most likely going to be bad.

8 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Oh no I think Chicago is more talented than their team last year but is a worse team. I think we're definitely better assuming health. 

9 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

What player on Chicago do you think is clearly better than their counterpart on the Magic?

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

In a vacuum, good trade for Sacramento (poor McLemore going back there). Why is Memphis doing this? I don't think Temple is that good, and I still think Davis has potential still to be a good back up big. Am I too high on Davis here? I get that Memphis is pretty solid at the center position, but why not keep the young cheap guy here, or find a better deal for him?

54 minutes ago, Odin said:

On Grant:

I think that if anyone is expecting Grant to be more than a decent 2nd-3rd string point guard, they are setting themselves up to be disappointed. I think we should hope that he plays well enough to not hurt the team and allows us to see if the strategy of getting a bunch of long guys that are at least mediocre at defense on the floor together works. He has basically been mediocre at best at everything besides having good size.

Really, he is most likely just going to help us see if the strategy of size, length, and defense at every position will work. Obviously, if he shows improvement, then great. But don't hold your breath for anything more than an adequate back-up. 

Yeah. I expect very similar things to Mack: Decent but not great shooting, running the offense and getting solid assists but nothing spectacular while limiting turnovers, and playing hard on D. He cost us nothing to acquire and there is no commitment after this year if he isn't anything but replacement level. 

12 minutes ago, Odin said:

In a vacuum, good trade for Sacramento (poor McLemore going back there). Why is Memphis doing this? I don't think Temple is that good, and I still think Davis has potential still to be a good back up big. Am I too high on Davis here? I get that Memphis is pretty solid at the center position, but why not keep the young cheap guy here, or find a better deal for him?

Temple is the best player in the deal. McLemore is bad. Davis is only Sacramento's 84th big man on roster

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Oh no I think Chicago is more talented than their team last year but is a worse team. I think we're definitely better assuming health. 

How are we better? 

We never upgraded the PG spot. Vuch is still gonna start.