magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

20 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Parker at small forward is worse than AG at small forward 

I surely hopes so because we might see a lot of AG at SF this year. 

2 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

The Bulls are a young rebuilding team and they didn't bat an eye when they lost Grant so that tells you something

That’s a logical deduction, perhaps they are considering him a long term backup that brings D and we’ll be addressing our starter at a later date. If we do go after Kemba or similar type star they most likely will be more offensive oriented and we will need the balance at that position. I think the front office did that trade because Mosgov might be more tradeable because he’s more versatile then Biz and we get a cheap look at a back court player potentially with another level in him plus we saved some chump change. I look at it like we hit a single that could turn into a double. It appears this front office is putting in the work and exploring any and all options to get better even if it’s incremental. I like what I see so far. I will be stoked if the twin towers end up being the kryptonite to neutralize the Warriors in the future, then everyone will be copying our build. Mobile bigs and long wings with stellar D; hopefully they learn to shoot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Can anyone read what Kevin Pelton gave us on the trade grader? Don't have access and I'm intrigued by the perception of whom came out on top. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/24032491/trade-grades-chicago-bulls-orlando-magic-charlotte-hornets-deal-nba

Grade: B

With neither player likely to play for them this season, I think the center component was actually just a way to generate the matching salary necessary to take Grant from the Bulls. Because Orlando does not have a trade exception, the team would have been unable to take on Grant's $2.6 million salary without sending anything in return. If Chicago's goal was to wipe out Grant's money completely, taking back the likes of Khem Birch or Wesley Iwundumight have been a nonstarter, or the Magic might have preferred to hang on to those players. (Orlando chose to guarantee Birch's contract last month even after drafting Mo Bamba as a backup center, which pushed Biyombo down the depth chart.)

For a team with only D.J. Augustin on the depth chart at point guard, Grant is an interesting addition. He handed out an impressive 8.9 assists per 100 team plays last season, solidly better than the average point guard (7.6), and is a passable defender with good size for the position. If Grant can get back to the 36.6 percent he shot from 3-point range in 2016-17 rather than last year's 32.4 percent, he could be a solid backup option and a fringe starter.

It's better for the Magic to be taking chances on low-priced former first-round picks like that than sending them away, as has happened with Maurice Harkless and Shabazz Napier in the past.

There's no middle ground in signings in the league.  You either sign for a huge discount in the single digit mills or you get paid a fortune you cannot possibly blow in the near double hundred mills.  There is some low-balling here for all-star level talent.  Then there's the 1 year contracts with the cap ceiling blowing through the roof every year.  This ensures the landscape of the league stays dynamic if we have upper tier talent signing one year deals. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

I miss Oladipo, What a great individual. Great character despite all he went through while playing during Hennigans tenure with the Magic. I am glad Grant is coming here with that Attitude and desire to prove himself. I am now on board with him and will be extactic if he can give us enough to solidify the PG position. 

Oladipo was my favourite player. I was pissed when we traded him.

14 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

The Bulls are a young rebuilding team and they didn't bat an eye when they lost Grant so that tells you something

We're a young rebuilding team and didn't bat an eye when we traded Harkless away but he's started well over 100 games since then, played in the playoffs and shot 40% from 3 last season. He's not been so good that we feel like we've made a huge mistake but that doesn't mean he hasn't been a worthwhile contributor for Portland. Grant can be that for us.

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We're a young rebuilding team and didn't bat an eye when we traded Harkless away but he's started well over 100 games since then, played in the playoffs and shot 40% from 3 last season. He's not been so good that we feel like we've made a huge mistake but that doesn't mean he hasn't been a worthwhile contributor for Portland. Grant can be that for us.

This is unrelated to your specific point but this is a good opportunity for me to comment on the most annoying part of this entire rebuild being when Portland fans would chime to make fun of us too as if we gave them franchise altering talents.

Thunder fan: Lol remember when the Magic traded Oladipo for Ibaka?  Idiots.

Pistons fan: Yeah, and they got nothing for Tobias Harris!

Magic fan: We've done some pretty dumb ****, yeah.

Portland fan: OMG and remember when they gave us Shabazz Napier for like nothing at all!!!!!!!!  Remember?!?!?!?!

So I have been MIA for a few days while on vacation (actually down in Florida, off the coast of Jacksonville). Looks like IT went somewhere else, I’m okay with that. If they weren’t sold on the medicals, then there is no point in paying a player to sit on the bench. Denver’s medical team has to be a little more liberal with what they think is okay...MPJ and IT...maybe it’ll workout for them maybe it won’t. 

As far as we are considered: I would be really interested to see if our Front Office is getting respect from anyone else and maybe that respect starts to earn us some consideration from Free Agents? I’m a Kentucky football fan (which is another painful subject) but they’re rebuilding motto has been “Why Kentucky? Why Not?”

I think it would be interesting to see if some players in the West start coming to the East and why not have some guards like Irving/Butler come to Orlando to help our young core of big men take the next step in their career. 

Irving/Butler/Isaac/Gordon/Bamba —> that could compete in the East for sure. 

I think that’s the pitch to potential free agents and one year rentals we get in trades...”look, we’re building something here...the East is wide open...stay here, help us build, and recruit the final few pieces we need.” 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Uuugggghhhh the offseason has truly begun! There is literally nothing to talk about!

I was thinking the same thing, 5 hours since the last post and it’s the evening. The countdown to october begins!