magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

14 hours ago, jec said:

Tanking is a viable philosophy to get good picks. Nobody is saying it's the only way to improve your team. But typically bad teams that have a hard time attracting free agents first have to hit it big in the draft. Drafting higher increases your chances of getting a star. Of course you can draft lower and still get star players. But your odds are better at top. 

But they really aren't. And I just showed examples to show that it's true. The odds at least aren't better enough to warrant intentionally driving your franchise into the dirt to get a slightly higher pick.

5 hours ago, Mack1085 said:

This is just one guys opinion, but I’m pretty tired of reading the “you’re intellectually dishonest” type of comments anytime someone has an argument someone else disagrees with or thinks is faulty. Comments like that and ones similar really don’t advance the conversation and they just assume bad intent that isn’t there. If you think the argument is faulty you can point that out without maligning character. 

Agreed, and it's one reason why I'm less of a frequent poster than I used to be.

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

No. Saying something is 50/50 when it's really 60/40 is just a counting error. 

Altering a sample size to fit your hypothesis is intellectual dishonesty. 

It's like if I said "we should never draft a point guard in the lottery because they're almost always bad" and you contested that statement. And I responded: "Almost every point guard drafted between 2013 and 2015 is below average" that's intellectually dishonest because it's tailoring the data to fit my hypothesis instead of using a real representative sample. 

It's not intellectually dishonest, I already explained (and you avoided) that I misread and thought you included 2017 and 2018 in your posts. I was reading and posting while I was at work, and in reading quickly, I misread dates being used in your data.

Instead of simply correcting me and responding to my mention of Fultz and Ayton with "I didn't include them in my data, because I didn't count the 2017 and 2018 drafts", you automatically went to the "intellectually dishonest" card. Simply because I disagree with your argument. There was no adjusted sample size. By including Fultz and Ayton, that actually made for examples 21 and 22, not 19 and 20, meaning by removing them, we are working with the same sample size. I.E. a "counting error"

P.S.: I've never changed the goalposts. I have elaborated on my use of the term "bust" (something you again have avoided), and I have explained both 1.) my argument and the criteria for it and 2.) elaborated on my usage of terms to show that I have moved no goalposts.

And in response to the Golden State example that was brought up earlier - yes, I know how many winning seasons Golden State has had before the Curry era. I live in the Bay Area. Current success aside (which was NOT built off of high lottery picks), Golden State is a perfect example of why tanking doesn't work. That franchise was a crap ball for decades before luck finally favored them (at the #7 pick, NOT a top lottery pick - and for the response that "#7 isn't that low" - it's certainly low enough that the fanbase blames this franchise for poor management when we win an additional game that drops us from 3 to 4, sooooo.....). They had to wait decades before they found their fortune. Again, not exactly a viable team building strategy.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

That Wiggins/Jones trade suggestion is interesting. 

Saw that. That will be really interesting. Like the roster with Jones and Wiggins joining AG, Isaac and Bamba in the starting lineup. But the player I am more excited in this scenario is Jones and not Wiggins. 

The Teague and Bledsoe options are also intriguing. 

9 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Saw that. That will be really interesting. Like the roster with Jones and Wiggins joining AG, Isaac and Bamba in the starting lineup. But the player I am more excited in this scenario is Jones and not Wiggins. 

The Teague and Bledsoe options are also intriguing. 

Thinking about it, Wiggins contract is crazy. Exceeds Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba in terms of length. Not sure we could do that. Essentially locks us up forever. 

I can see the thought process taking on money on a buy low candidate. But we still need to keep a year open to leverage Isaac and Bamba's rookie contracts. Which means taking on no summer 2020 money. 

27 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

If Kemba is in Orlando during the off-season, it sure makes sense for him to be here during the in-season.

Love it! Common sense.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

If Kemba is in Orlando during the off-season, it sure makes sense for him to be here during the in-season.

It should be easier to sell him on coming to Orlando if he spends his offseason time here. I'm in full-on belief that we will look to add him as offseason goal #1 in 2019 unless Grant becomes an All-star this season. 

45 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

It should be easier to sell him on coming to Orlando if he spends his offseason time here. I'm in full-on belief that we will look to add him as offseason goal #1 in 2019 unless Grant becomes an All-star this season. 

Even with Vooch and Ross ending contracts, we won't have enough cap space to offer him a max contract unless we make another move, like stretch Mozgov's last year.

4 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

So here is what fans of other teams think we can get for Vuc & Ross's $22M expiring contracts. I think we get to see another year of Vuc :( 

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1726958

The only thing I found slightly interesting is Norman Powell and Delon Wright, but certainly not for what the guy was asking for.

if we are operating under the restrictions of not taking on a contract past when Moz and DJ expire, then, barring a star, I don’t see any really viable trade options. We have 3 PGs right now anyway

19 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Even with Vooch and Ross ending contracts, we won't have enough cap space to offer him a max contract unless we make another move, like stretch Mozgov's last year.

Thanks, Henny.

57 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Basically, if we have a guy that wants to come here we have an avenue to max space pretty easily.