magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

Everyone will blast Weltman for not making sweeping changes but this clearly shows why he, and the rest of the FO, think we can take a step with the same core, as long as we stay healthy. Only 7 games with our top 7 players out of 82 and we go 7-0; that's encouraging. Obviously, we're not going 82-0 but we don't have a true picture of how good or bad we are. As fans, we think we do, because we've seen these players for years and ready to move on from most, but sometimes all it takes a minor tweak here or there, new voice to coach, and some internal growth and things can really change. 

hopefully, we get a full year of minimal injuries and ball out.  

I mean it's still only 7 games. Thats basically nothing. 

And it's not a good argument to suggest we're good. I don't want people thinking I'm suggesting it's time to contend. 

It's more a weird coincidence on the wins. I'm more interested in pointing out the fact we only had 7 healthy games out of 82. Boston had 0. But 7 is crazy low. 

And maybe the 7 wins in retrospect will be a sign of a better team if we make a really big leap this year. 

29 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

And it's not a good argument to suggest we're good. I don't want people thinking I'm suggesting it's time to contend. 

It's more a weird coincidence on the wins. I'm more interested in pointing out the fact we only had 7 healthy games out of 82. Boston had 0. But 7 is crazy low. 

And maybe the 7 wins in retrospect will be a sign of a better team if we make a really big leap this year. 

Who were the 7 teams we beat?

55 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Obviously 7 is extremely small sample size. But yeah the point isn't that we won those 7 games, it's more that we were unhealthy for the other 75. That's insanely bad luck.

3 hours ago, Nyce_1 said:

Everyone will blast Weltman for not making sweeping changes but this clearly shows why he, and the rest of the FO, think we can take a step with the same core, as long as we stay healthy. Only 7 games with our top 7 players out of 82 and we go 7-0; that's encouraging. Obviously, we're not going 82-0 but we don't have a true picture of how good or bad we are. As fans, we think we do, because we've seen these players for years and ready to move on from most, but sometimes all it takes a minor tweak here or there, new voice to coach, and some internal growth and things can really change. 

hopefully, we get a full year of minimal injuries and ball out.  

Only thing I'm upset about is keeping Vuch's bum ass around. Inexcusable that he is still around.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is just one guys opinion, but I’m pretty tired of reading the “you’re intellectually dishonest” type of comments anytime someone has an argument someone else disagrees with or thinks is faulty. Comments like that and ones similar really don’t advance the conversation and they just assume bad intent that isn’t there. If you think the argument is faulty you can point that out without maligning character. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

This is just one guys opinion, but I’m pretty tired of reading the “you’re intellectually dishonest” type of comments anytime someone has an argument someone else disagrees with or thinks is faulty. Comments like that and ones similar really don’t advance the conversation and they just assume bad intent that isn’t there. If you think the argument is faulty you can point that out without maligning character. 

Saying someone is being intellectually dishonest isn't discussing their character at all. It's a statement on the quality of their argument. When having a meaningful debate you need to be able to meet each other on the same field or else it's pointless. Intellectual dishonesty is a violation of the standards of rational argument. 

When you say something like "hennigan was a terrible gm because he didn't want us to have talented players" it's being intellectually dishonest. Because come on, no gm doesn't want talent. 

When you move goalposts in an argument to suit your argument. That's intellectual dishonesty. 

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

Why are we rehashing this? The horse is a rotted carcass. 

Well it is important to know the difference between an insult and a statement discussing the quality of ones argument

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Well it is important to know the difference between an insult and a statement discussing the quality of ones argument

Ha...Good point. That horse just hit the ground. Carry on.

14 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah sure buddy. You're not intellectually dishonest

Just so I’m clear, this is meant as a statement on the quality of an argument where the split is 60/40 instead of the purported 50/50 and not meant to malign his character at all? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Why are we rehashing this? The horse is a rotted carcass. 

I believe I want the same thing at ?FTW - for people to have good discussion and disagreement about basketball here. I think that can happen by saying when you think an argument is faulty or even outlandish without the accusations of malintent. Now maybe that’s not what he meant when he said it, in which case I’m making him aware that it is at the very least how I perceive it and it’s off-putting as a member of this forum. And frankly I think it’s a good reminder for all of us (myself included). 

• Upvote 2