magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I really don’t think it’s that crazy. Lavine had a really strong 16-17 averaging 19 a game and shooting 38% from 3. That contract is about what I would expect from a young, athletic guard who can score the basketball. Obviously he’s coming off injury so that dings him a bit but the money seems about right maybe a few million higher than expected. 

Dont get me wrong I’d rather have AG mainly because Lavine is a pretty 1 dimensional player. He doesn’t do much of anything other than score and he’s not an overly efficient scorer. But I’m not that surprised a team would pay him close to that. 

Chicago should have just given him a real offer before he went and got one from a team like Sac. They probably could have locked him up for around 70 had they offered him first. That’s what most their fans seemed upset about. 

I think the risky thing about lavine is kind of the same thing we're seeing with Fournier. 

Gordon or Beal or oladipo or khris Middleton or Harrison Barnes always make sense to pay IMO because they fill roles that fit in well on multiple teams and do well on both ends of the court so even if they plateau you're getting a guy that can start on a championship level roster and that can't be easily replicated by lesser players. 

But with offense only guys you pay for top players who can manufacture their own offense Kyrie, DeRozan. But if your free agent plateaus as a complimentary scorer without much in game impact there's always another guy out there that can provide that cheaper. So why pay lavine 20 million when you can pay Will Barton 12 or bogdanovic 10?

Big risk. Just like what we're seeing now with Fournier. 

9 hours ago, Mike1989 said:

What will probably hold this team back this coming season is the point guard situation. DJ is not really a starting point guard for a good team, and Grant is nothing more than a depth chart player. So unless we get some unexpected production from them I think that will be what will hold us back from becoming a 40 or win team. I still expect us to get into the 30 plus win range next season, but I'm not going wild with my predictions because Isaac and Bamba are having a good summer league. It's one thing to dominate players at the same or similar stage of their development, it's totally different when they come up against the Embiids and Jordan's of the center world, and the LeBrons and Goerges of the forward world. 

I'd say 35 wins is a realistic win count, with upside to add more if we have an all star breakout from AG and/or get unexpected point guard production.

Good post. I’ve believed that our inconsistent point guard play has held this team back for years, and I hope that’s not the case this year. Like most, I’m still hoping for a trade for Kemba, Rozier, etc. I’d give up our first and change next year to get the right guy. 

23 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think the risky thing about lavine is kind of the same thing we're seeing with Fournier. 

Gordon or Beal or oladipo or khris Middleton or Harrison Barnes always make sense to pay IMO because they fill roles that fit in well on multiple teams and do well on both ends of the court so even if they plateau you're getting a guy that can start on a championship level roster and that can't be easily replicated by lesser players. 

But with offense only guys you pay for top players who can manufacture their own offense Kyrie, DeRozan. But if your free agent plateaus as a complimentary scorer without much in game impact there's always another guy out there that can provide that cheaper. So why pay lavine 20 million when you can pay Will Barton 12 or bogdanovic 10?

Big risk. Just like what we're seeing now with Fournier. 

So the other thing is, does his offense actually help the team he is on?

For Chicago, they scored a total of .3 more points per 100 possessions with him on the court than him off.

In his last season with the Timberwolves, they scored 2.8 points less per 100 possessions when he was on the court. The season before that? .8 less per 100 possessions.

That is all with his terrible defense.

He is still young, but there isn't a single season where his being on the court has been a positive for the team he has been playing for so far. Not offensively, and definitely not defensively.

(This is honestly kind of bizarre to me. When going to look it up, I thought he'd at least have a modest positive impact on offense, especially that last Minnesota season. How does a player make your team worse on offense with a 58% TS% and a 54.4% EFG%? Especially when your other SGs are Shabazz Muhammed, Brandon Rush, and Kris Dunn?)

6 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Some people still say he's our best player, though

Wouldn't you say he's our most consistent offensive player? Fournier is close but even he was streaky at times. 

3 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I mean I guess you sign him to some sort of deal...but he's going to have the same minutes that he got in Boston. He won't start over Fox or Hield. I like the move because I like Smart as a backup, but for some reason I don't like him in Sac.

18 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

Wouldn't you say he's our most consistent offensive player? Fournier is close but even he was streaky at times. 

No?

Last season he played 57 games. 18, he shot 40% or lower. 15, he shot under 41-49%. 15 were between 50-59%. 9 were above 60%.

Fournier: 57 games. 19, he shot 40% or lower. 12, he shot 41-49%. 19 were between 50-59%. 7 were above 60%.

Overall, they were similarly streaky.

Edit: Adding 3 point shooting and other stuff though, Fournier was more valuable.

And wow, were all of our players super inconsistent.

I think our team is going to be about average on offense if you told me two of Augustin, Fournier, Ross, Simmons, Gordon never get injured at the same time long term. 

Not really confident in our depth

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think our team is going to be about average on offense if you told me two of Augustin, Fournier, Ross, Simmons, Gordon never get injured at the same time long term. 

Not really confident in our depth

I. . .know! Other than Bamba and Isaac, those little guys running around out there last night (trying to impress) cause some concern for me too.

Who is this Cooley guy that played for the Suns last night. Man, was he a handful.

12 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I. . .know! Other than Bamba and Isaac, those little guys running around out there last night (trying to impress) cause some concern for me too.

Who is this Cooley guy that played for the Suns last night. Man, was he a handful.

I think he is the guy that almost single handedly beat Dallas in the last game of the season.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

So our offense was at its best last year the 23 games vucevic missed. 

Dear Steve,

I know that you were busy coaching another team last year and may not have noticed this but you did probably notice that he sucks on defense.

Thanks,

A concerned Magic fan