magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

10 minutes ago, Catalina Maria said:

A friend of mine who’s girlfriend is daughter to Weltman’s secretary says Grant is getting traded for Rosieye?????  Who’s Rosieye? 

Is your friend franchise1234?

So, I have been thinking about the defense in regards to Bamba, Isaac, and Gordon. I think they all have the potential to be truly elite defenders, but all have slightly different skill sets and fit different roles- hopefully which our coaches can use to full effect.

1. Gordon: Archetype- Kawhi Leonard. An elite athlete who can guard 1-5 (Struggles with tall, skilled guys like Durant and guys stronger than him). Great hips and lateral movement. Good 1 on 1 defender who can stay with the offensive player. Can use great athleticism to recover or to get to the other side of the court. Needs work on help defense. Should be used to generally defend the best offensive player on the other team.

2. Isaac: Archetype- ??? (Maybe KG-ish? I don't know. I don't think there is another defender in the league quite like Isaac right now). While a good athlete, Isaac uses his length to shut down opposing players. Long arms shut down space and cut out passing lanes, while also bothering opposing players shots. Elite instincts are shown in this blocking and stealing prowess. Great for switching, defending in space, and help defense. Probably could be used as a bit of a free-lancer with his ability to cover space and his instincts. 

3. Bamba: Archetype- Golbert, Horford maybe?, classic defensive big-men. Good athlete with elite size. Shows defensive potential in space. A paint defender- but not really a low post guy, with his lack of lower body strength. Shows the potential to be able to cover out to the three point line. Long limbs to deflect and bother shots. Can potentially take up a lot of the interior space with his wingspan. Long arms also allow him to be defending one player and help on another player coming to the basket. Potential to be the type of player that reduces the number of shots taken at the rim and the FG% of shots that come at the rim. Should be used as an interior defender.

Can I just say that I really like the way Ross has been representing the Magic this summer? In the gym with the young guys in Orlando and now flying out to Vegas and watching them in Summer League games. I know we all love expiring contracts but he is honestly one I’d love to retain if the price is right. Probably our best guard defender and seems like a good glue guy. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Contrarían nature is the similarity.  You ready to name Bamba and Isaac starters yet or does shutting down JJJ qualify as lesser competition?  Weltman described Isaac as a future facilitator/playmaker.   Potential #1 scoring option!

It's not contrarian. I'm just not going to get overexcited off of Summer League. These guys havent translated to the NBA level yet.

I didnt say they wouldn't.

I like Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba.

I also dont think any of the 3 are a #1 type franchise player to build a franchise around, which is why I want us to take a shot on someone who is available in free agency.

*And no, I dont think that Isaiah Thomas is a #1 guy to build a franchise around either. But I do think he is a good enough player to be a legitimate #1 option, pushing Fournier, Gordon, and Isaac to the #2, 3, and 4 options that they should be, allowing them to play proper roles on this team and not have to carry more burden than they are capable of. I also think that Isaiah Thomas is good enough to have this team compete for a playoff spot, which would help to change the culture and expectations of this franchise and young players, and help them learn how to win and play meaningful basketball.

I'm not being contrarian. Nowhere did I say that Gordon, Isaac, or Bamba suck and we should blow it up. It's a young core that I have hope and optimism in. But I'm not going to get excited about Summer League when he performs well against rookies and developing talent. I'll begin to proclaim hes arrived when he does it against established NBA talent in games that count. Not against rookies in Summer League.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mack1085 said:

Can I just say that I really like the way Ross has been representing the Magic this summer? In the gym with the young guys in Orlando and now flying out to Vegas and watching them in Summer League games. I know we all love expiring contracts but he is honestly one I’d love to retain if the price is right. Probably our best guard defender and seems like a good glue guy. 

I wouldn't mind keeping him for the right price, but don't really have a problem letting him go if the right player comes along.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

We could just go after Rozier next summer

I hear ya, but as slick as Ainge is and knowing that he will be moving on from Rozier assuming he extends or resigns Kyrie, who will start;  Rozier wants to start and is ready to. Don’t you think he will want to get some assets before Rozier walks in free agency and gets nothing? I think if I understand the business, the issue is Kyrie will make more on a new contract versus an extension and here lays the timing problem, but if Kyrie gives him the wink to sign he may roll the dice and get what he can for Rozier because I believe this guy is a bonified starter and will no longer accept a back up role for much longer. I’m not sure, but I think Rozier is unrestricted, if not and he’s restricted then you’re right he may kick back for now and decide if he wants to match market value next summer, I think Rozier will get paid and the Celtics will have serious luxury tax for a back up player.

3 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I hear ya, but as slick as Ainge is and knowing that he will be moving on from Rozier assuming he extends or resigns Kyrie, who will start;  Rozier wants to start and is ready to. Don’t you think he will want to get some assets before Rozier walks in free agency and gets nothing? I think if I understand the business, the issue is Kyrie will make more on a new contract versus an extension and here lays the timing problem, but if Kyrie gives him the wink to sign he may roll the dice and get what he can for Rozier because I believe this guy is a bonified starter and will no longer accept a back up role for much longer. I’m not sure, but I think Rozier is unrestricted, if not and he’s restricted then you’re right he may kick back for now and decide if he wants to match market value next summer, I think Rozier will get paid and the Celtics will have serious luxury tax for a back up player.

With Rozier you're either going to overpay with draft picks today or overpay with salary a year from now. 

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

With Rozier you're either going to overpay with draft picks today or overpay with salary a year from now. 

Or both - which is the argument against overpaying with picks today.

Just now, ?4thewin said:

To get Rozier it's probably got to be Simmons and two firsts. 

Which is a hard no for me. I like Rozier but are we completely sure he’s a franchise PG? 

If you do a deal like that he has to be. 

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

Which is a hard no for me. I like Rozier but are we completely sure he’s a franchise PG? 

If you do a deal like that he has to be. 

You have to assume the 2 firsts wouldn't be lottery picks, and next year's draft class isn't ranked very high.

15 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

Or both - which is the argument against overpaying with picks today.

Makes sense if he’s unrestricted. If he’s restricted then we capture the leverage, but you’re right it could get pricy.