magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

21 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Buy outs just change the amount guaranteed. If we buy out mozgov for 10 million that money goes against the cap

But wouldn't it only be a one time hit....?????  If so then I'd be all for it. Actually scratch that.... There's no WAY he'd agree to a buyout with 32 mil on the line. He'd never even come close to making it up in future FA. We now have the equivalent of Olden Polynice at a similar deal at his time in the league.....   :)

30 minutes ago, chosen12 said:

It will be interesting to see who else will have money in 2019 & 20.

Money has dried up quickly these past few seasons.

A lot of teams will have money. 

NBA projected cap to be $108M next summer. It's why a lot of teams offered 1 year deals this summer, and why most restricted FA will sign their QO to hit the market next year, when there will be more spenders. 

We just have to hope we're smarter with our spending.

41 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Buy outs just change the amount guaranteed. If we buy out mozgov for 10 million that money goes against the cap

It also frees up a roster spot

1 hour ago, chosen12 said:

LOL..... I would for once see one of our original draft picks retire in a Magic Uni! 

thats a sad cold fact I never realized 

So as of today the roster is

Augustin-Grant-briscoe

Fournier-Simmons-Ross-Frazier-pervis

Issac-iwundu

Gordon

Vuc-Bamba-Birch-mozgov

Probably caupain Jackson our two way guys

9 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

It's Summer League. It literally means nothing.

Insert more of those laughing emoji's here.

I feel the fanboyism is super high to believe that Gordon or Osaac are better scorers than Thomas.

MagicFan1234 reincarnated.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, chosen12 said:

Well, whatever it is, I enjoyed it! Hope you don't mind if I use it periodically ?? LOL

You can use it!

9 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

To keep the baseball terminology, I don't think this FO is planning to swing for the fences unless someone puts an easy one over the plate. Unless some big name falls in our laps for some weird reason, I doubt we're setting up for a big spending spree.

Why? Because Victor Oladipo, that's why. We traded Dipo because we didn't want to pay him. We had the cap space, but Hennigan wasn't confident in his own build (because there wasn't a good plan in place, a team concept beyond 'good player' who can't shoot). So he tried to swing for the fences and lost what turned out to be his best talent. The great thing about consistently hitting singles is that when you do hit a home run, the bases are often loaded.

Take the Isaac pick last year. I didn't like it. It was safe. In a vacuum, I still think DSJ might be the BPA at that point. But I didn't understand how this management team works, then. I'm starting to, I think. See, DSJ might have been the BPA, the swing for the fences pick I would have liked. But he didn't fit what the FO was looking for. So they just got contact, as they say. Singled out, maybe doubled, with Isaac. But with Gordon already on base, we had now two on. Bamba makes it three on. With the bases loaded, you don't swing at everything that comes to you. You wait for it. Maybe this trade is a single, and we get a run in (maybe Jerian turns out to be a solid starter). Maybe it's a foul down the line, and we stay at bat. But we're not swinging at Isaiah Thomas, because that's not what the FO is looking for. Going for Isaiah Thomas at this point is like trying to take a slider yard when we're looking for it high and over the plate. Sure, maybe we get good contact and bring everyone in. More likely we fly out.

The problem with playing small ball is that it relies on playing against the #'s. Baseball is a game of failure. Banking on constant triples to get you enough runs to win the game means you're going to have to play against the #'s of baseball.

At some point if you want to win, you have to have power. You have to be able to knock it into the gap, or knock it over the fence.

Your analogy basically tells me we are playing scared. If we are playing "not to lose", we've already lost.

I'd rather take that shot on clearing the bases and bringing everyone in, than to play against the #'s and hoping that eventually we will get enough singles to score a run.

When you have the opportunity to score, you take it. You don't shy away from it because it might not work out.

4 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

MagicFan1234 reincarnated.

Yeeeeaaaaa, not quite.

Wanting a particular player who I think is better than anyone currently on our roster and not getting overly excited about performances against lesser competition doesn't make me a troll.

10 hours ago, chosen12 said:

LOL..... I would for once see one of our original draft picks retire in a Magic Uni! 

I still feel that letting go of Nelson was the wrong move to make. As far as I’m aware he was still happy to be here and he could have moved into an off the bench role for Payton, or Nelson could have started and we could have brought Payton off the bench initially and let him develop slowly. Nelson would have been an ideal veteran mentor for our guards and young players and it was a shame our front office decided to waive him. It would have been nice to see him remain a Magic player his entire career.

• Upvote 2

I heard...Carmelo wants to go to L.A.

Hopefully, they sign Carmelo for 5 years, 25 cut.  Carmelo is definitely a team player like LeBron who would put players ahead of him.  They both are players who have sacrificed their statistics for their teammates.  After LeBron swept the Warriors in 2014, Melo had a chance to join the Heat but declined.  This is his second chance.  LeBron should can move aside now definitely let Carmelo be the alpha on this new Lakers team. Carmelo is the key to the Lakers beating the Warriors.  

............*starts laughing hysterically*  

14 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I mean, we could finally wind up with Kemba...

also, we “could” swing for Klay or Kyrie

If you want Kemba, you gotta get him in now. He'll be 30 by that time.

Klay isn't leaving GS to come here. Defending champions with a PG like Curry to play next to DJ and Briscoe?

Kyrie (who's the 1st option, which he wanted) isn't leaving Boston for a team who hasn't seen the playoffs in 6 years.

I like JI and Bamba. I was real positive about JI when we drafted him Bamba was my number 2 behind Luka.

I'm just gonna sit here and hope and pray that we're still working the phones.

I really hope we're working the phones to get VUC out of here. I do not want him mentoring Bamba at all.