magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

The Hornets also picked up second-round picks in 2019 and 2020 from the Magic. 

I guess that makes sense considering Jerian is a proven player that we would hope a 2nd rounder to become 

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Nice_1, that part about "not knowing anything about Mozgov" was not intended to suggest that he should be a mentor or he was a steal for the Magic. Whoever I was quoting mentioned Mozgov in the same sentence where the poster said that Vuc could be a mentor for Bamba. I should have left Mozgov's name out of my response to Vuc not being a mentor. Again, I was not suggesting anything about Mozgov's contribution to the team.

Please enlighten me. . .In what way can Vuc mentor Bamba that would help him to develop?

Vuc is a good offensive player. He can show Mo some post moves and what to expect when defending post players. He can help him learn to quickly read defenses and the right play to make out of double teams. 

Yes, we have coaches for all of that, but sometimes it's easier to understand when coming from another player. If kept, Vuc is a good vet (as long as he doesn't pout) to lean on. 

Jerian Grant for the less favorable second round pick for two years isn't bad. We got the 11th pick in the second round for less than half a season of Elfrid Payton, so that alone doesn't seem like an overpay for a full season of Grant. From what I've read, the Mozgov-Biyombo portion of the trade was essentially done to make the salaries work so we wouldn't have to give up a developing player like Birch or Iwundu in the deal.   

If you're disappointed we haven't gotten a clear starting caliber PG this offseason I think that's perfectly reasonable. But if you think this was a bad trade and you're focusing on the Mozgov-Biyombo portion, I think you're overreacting to the names. Biz did not make a net positive contribution on the floor for us last season. If Mozgov takes minutes Biz was getting that would be reason for concern. But if Bamba and Birch are taking those minutes, I don't think we've lost anything by swapping guys out who are going to sit at the end of the bench. Our future cap situation is no worse and no better. And we added a mid-first round talent who is a replacement level player for picks that don't usually return that value. We still have our full MLE and the bi-annual exception if there is Jonathan Simmons type of deal out there this upcoming week, so Grants contract doesn't hurt us in that department either.

Bottom line: It's a perfectly fine trade from a value perspective. If you still want to see our FO do more to address the PG position, that's totally reasonable. But this trade does not prevent them from doing that.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

We still have our full MLE and the bi-annual exception if there is Jonathan Simmons type of deal out there this upcoming week, so Grants contract doesn't hurt us in that department either.

yeah the fact we still have our two exceptions and have resigned Gordon to an awesome team friendly deal, drafted potential building block Mo Bamba, and added proven backup Grant, this has been a reasonably positive off season so far. Couldn't ask for much more within the philosophy of our team building

25 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

Jerian Grant for the less favorable second round pick for two years isn't bad. We got the 11th pick in the second round for less than half a season of Elfrid Payton, so that alone doesn't seem like an overpay for a full season of Grant. From what I've read, the Mozgov-Biyombo portion of the trade was essentially done to make the salaries work so we wouldn't have to give up a developing player like Birch or Iwundu in the deal.   

If you're disappointed we haven't gotten a clear starting caliber PG this offseason I think that's perfectly reasonable. But if you think this was a bad trade and you're focusing on the Mozgov-Biyombo portion, I think you're overreacting to the names. Biz did not make a net positive contribution on the floor for us last season. If Mozgov takes minutes Biz was getting that would be reason for concern. But if Bamba and Birch are taking those minutes, I don't think we've lost anything by swapping guys out who are going to sit at the end of the bench. Our future cap situation is no worse and no better. And we added a mid-first round talent who is a replacement level player for picks that don't usually return that value. We still have our full MLE and the bi-annual exception if there is Jonathan Simmons type of deal out there this upcoming week, so Grants contract doesn't hurt us in that department either.

Bottom line: It's a perfectly fine trade from a value perspective. If you still want to see our FO do more to address the PG position, that's totally reasonable. But this trade does not prevent them from doing that.

I don't mind the trade. It's fine. I mind if this is it.

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We don't have the full mle. We used a portion of it to sign Frazier and briscoe to longer deals

Thanks. I missed that. So it looks like we have $6.7 of the MLE remaining. Slightly more than than what we are paying Simmons per year. 

9 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

And the point is, Gordon or Isaac shouldnt be our best players. A team with those guys as your 2 best players is not going to have a lot of success.

So no. They should not be our #1 options. They should not be our best players. We need another player here who is a real #1. That player is not on our team currently.

So yes, we should be looking for a guy who's going to take shots away from those guys.

If you can get that guy that is actually better, fine.

Isaiah Thomas isn’t that guy though.

5 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m fine with the trade in a vacuum, as I think Grant can be serviceable. However, nobody is mentioning the obvious, that Vooch probably now stays. This gives me a belly ache.

We can still trade him and use Birch as the main back up at center.

3 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

I dont think this is enough. Our PG situation is still not addressed. Grant/Augustine is not much better than a combination of Payton/Augustine/Mack in my opinion. 

The Front Court still heavy loaded. VUC or Mozgov needs to be eventually moved. 

1. We don’t need the PG position fixed this year. They just need to be serviceable and give us different looks. We can address it next year if we aren’t able to this year.

2. Mozgov is most likely only getting injury minutes, unless someone else is traded. He doesn’t really matter to the rotation.

41 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We don't have the full mle. We used a portion of it to sign Frazier and briscoe to longer deals

Didn't know we needed to use mle to sign our own draft pick