magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

The trade was fine.

Has no effect on our cap space for two years time which is clearly where the front office is planning to make their moves. Fits with the timeline of Isaac/Bamba as they were viewed as the biggest projects in each draft.

It frees up more minutes for Bamba to come off the bench instead of having to deal with Biyombo/Vuc compaining about lack of playing time, now there is only one to deal with instead of 2 with Birch as 3rd string. Moz will be DNP and trade bait next season as an expiring or just let go for cap space.

We get to take a punt at a PG that probably has little to no impact but can be moved/gone easily over the next 2 seasons and fits in with the FO's 2 year timeline or we luck out and he is ok as a backup. We gave up two 2nd rounders that likely held no value anyway, while still keeping our own 2nds.

The move basically gives us more minutes for Bamba, less locker room drama regarding minutes at the 5 and keeps us flexible to make moves in 2 years. I get that people have had to deal with 6 years of being bad but they are going to have to deal with another 1-2 years of it so that the FO can go all in in 2 years. They've made it clear they are going to take their time and not rush. We've already seen the damage of rushing a project, so for me, the moves are fine and it's in 2 years we see what the front office is really made of in terms of putting a winning team out there.

So I looked up Grant and Mozgov stats. They both have unusually elevated perimeter defense stats. 

For a center Mozgov holds 15 feet from the basket at a low 33% which gives his team a plus 11.

His near the basket defense is mediocre but surprisingly better than Biz. Biz numbers are bad but I think Payton made him look bad.

These moves appear to be making us a defensive juggernaut.

IT was never part of the plan.

So I woke up to this. Weird trade in my opinion. 

The trade doesnt move the needle much. We basically traded 2 second rounders for Grant and swap Biz for Mozgov to save very little money. 

Dissecting the trade, I like the Grant for 2 second rounders move but dislike, in a way, the Biz for Mozgov trade. Biz was a not a really good player and I get Birch and Bamba will make him obsolete but he was indeed a very likeable good locker room guy.

I dont know much about Mozgov as he has been deep bench guy for the past few  season but it seems as he is a little better overall offensive player. 

In a nutshell, we traded Biz(good locker room, likeable guy) vs Mozgov(big body, slighlty better offensive player).Like I say,  It doesnt move the needle for me. 

The Grant move is ok but not enough to get me excited. It is a very tradeable piece during the season if needed.This move does fortify our PG position and opens up the ability and possibility to trade DJ later on. The IT signing option still not out of the question. I expect subsequent moves with DJ, and Hopefully Vuch

For the people who are still waiting for a Vuc trade(like me) to happen very soon. Let me remind you that Brook Lopez is still available for cheap and no team will make a deal for Vuc while they can likely sign Brook for a 5-6 million a year contract. We most likely have to swap him for another player with a very similar contract.

We are not done yet. 

So are we all assuming right now that our team is finished with major offseason moves? We have seemingly our PG rotation deepened and our front court in-clogged - the two concerns we had at this point headed into the season. 

After that trade I would like to see a push for McCollum. Maybe Fournier, Ross and Vuc for McCollum and Turner. So we could start Grant and bring Augustine as a scorer from the bench.

Grant/Augustine

McCollum/Simmons

Isaac/Turner

Gordon/Isaac

Bamba/Birch

16 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

So are we all assuming right now that our team is finished with major offseason moves? We have seemingly our PG rotation deepened and our front court in-clogged - the two concerns we had at this point headed into the season. 

I dont think this is enough. Our PG situation is still not addressed. Grant/Augustine is not much better than a combination of Payton/Augustine/Mack in my opinion. 

The Front Court still heavy loaded. VUC or Mozgov needs to be eventually moved. 

So this trade puts us at 15 players under contract plus Justin Jackson who is still unsigned. Do guys we send to the G League count against our 15 player max for active roster spots? Trying to figure out what we’d need to do from a roster perspective if we still tried to use our $8.5M/yr MLE. 

6 hours ago, Nyce_1 said:

You don't know anything about Mozgov? Let me help: he's worse than Biz and should be getting 82 DNPs next season.

Nice_1, that part about "not knowing anything about Mozgov" was not intended to suggest that he should be a mentor or he was a steal for the Magic. Whoever I was quoting mentioned Mozgov in the same sentence where the poster said that Vuc could be a mentor for Bamba. I should have left Mozgov's name out of my response to Vuc not being a mentor. Again, I was not suggesting anything about Mozgov's contribution to the team.

Please enlighten me. . .In what way can Vuc mentor Bamba that would help him to develop?

7 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

And the point is, Gordon or Isaac shouldnt be our best players. A team with those guys as your 2 best players is not going to have a lot of success.

So no. They should not be our #1 options. They should not be our best players. We need another player here who is a real #1. That player is not on our team currently.

So yes, we should be looking for a guy who's going to take shots away from those guys.

Totally disagree that one of these three cannot become a #1 scoring option.  Unless you are clairvoyant you are guessing.  Isaac was  defined as a player with possibly the highest ceiling in last year's draft.  Looked to be playing point forward Friday night.  It will not be this year but he would be my best guess as a #1 scoring option on this current roster.  Would I love to add another possibility, absolutely yes,  but unless we get lucky in the draft, that better come in a trade or FA (like Kemba).  I liked what I saw of the offense I saw on Friday night.

2 hours ago, Catalina Maria said:

So I looked up Grant and Mozgov stats. They both have unusually elevated perimeter defense stats. 

For a center Mozgov holds 15 feet from the basket at a low 33% which gives his team a plus 11.

His near the basket defense is mediocre but surprisingly better than Biz. Biz numbers are bad but I think Payton made him look bad.

These moves appear to be making us a defensive juggernaut.

IT was never part of the plan.

I appreciate your research and clarity greatly

• Upvote 1