magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

1 minute ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

I disagree with that. Low risk. He's coming in here with 0 expectation to be the STAR PG. He is on a rookie contract. It's the final year of that contract. We aren't committing to him as our franchise guy. He's literally a rental...who has nothing to prove other than he's better than we all expect. 

Low risk, high reward type player if there ever was one. 

we disagree on the definition of risk.

If he doesn't prove he's at least capable of being in the rotation, then we aren't going to give him a QO. We will have wasted a year on a PG who will not be on our roster next year, AND wasted our 2nd round pick (whichever it is the 2019 or 2020 one). That time could have been given to another player, or the pick could have been used elsewhere. That is a big risk. Don't count on Mozgov to do anything but cheerlead. 

4 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

If he doesn't prove he's at least capable of being in the rotation, then we aren't going to give him a QO. We will have wasted a year on a PG who will not be on our roster next year, AND wasted our 2nd round pick (whichever it is the 2019 or 2020 one). That time could have been given to another player, or the pick could have been used elsewhere. That is a big risk. Don't count on Mozgov to do anything but cheerlead. 

Exactly—Mosgov won’t play which opens up PT for Bamba and Birch. Hammond obviously thinks Grant is gonna be a player of sorts or wouldn’t have done this trade. 

Save money 

Bring in PG

Open up front court PT 

I see zero real negatives. 

3 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

There is almost no chance he's not capable of being in the rotation. Do you know anything about this kid? He was one of the better backup PGs in the league last year. He's just about to enter his prime, and he's improved every year. Even if it does happen that he can't contribute, you're considering risking a second round pick on a guy who's almost definitely at least a really solid back-up to be a big risk? Really? What do you think we should be getting with second round picks?

4 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I’d do a second rounder for him. 

That's because I value picks much, much more than you do. Taking a flyer on Jerian Grant doesn't do it for me. I can actually defend Biz and say he played every single game and provided decent minutes. 

It's similar to the Suns trying out EP for a second round pick. That's basically the same rationale the Suns thought when they made that deal. 

33 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Wrong answer.  Our #1 scoring option should be our best player regardless of the position they play.  I hope we develop a team and system that utilizes the talent we have.  Bamba's ability to screen on a pick and roll was pretty impressive on Friday night.  Could prove to be  unstoppable in years to come as he develops.  Isaac looked like a point forward at the top of the key and, with development, may become a #1 scoring option.  Gordon, if he continues to show the same type improvement, will be a tough matchup and a pretty good scorer..  To suggest less shots for players we drafted 4th, 6th, and 6th may not be a wise move for the development of our team.

And the point is, Gordon or Isaac shouldnt be our best players. A team with those guys as your 2 best players is not going to have a lot of success.

So no. They should not be our #1 options. They should not be our best players. We need another player here who is a real #1. That player is not on our team currently.

So yes, we should be looking for a guy who's going to take shots away from those guys.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Dipo/Harris/AG < Issac/AG/Bamba 

BS. That’s a straight up fanboy statement right there. I get the excitement and the optimism, but let’s not discount what Victor has turned himself in to...

and it’s Isaac!! Y’all are driving me insane with this Issac stuff.

26 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

There is almost no chance he's not capable of being in the rotation. Do you know anything about this kid? He was one of the better backup PGs in the league last year. He's just about to enter his prime, and he's improved every year. Even if it does happen that he can't contribute, you're considering risking a second round pick on a guy who's almost definitely at least a really solid back-up to be a big risk? Really? What do you think we should be getting with second round picks?

That rationale, i might get behind but Grant will be 26 when the season starts. If he was 23ish maybe but most players at 26, they are who they are. 

If he can't contribute, do you think that will help us win or lose games? Lose right? And the time the team spends on him versus other players, that would be a loss too right? Even if he is a "really solid back up" why are we wasting a serviceable player and a pick to get him? There are more than a few options for backup PGs: Devin Harris, Yogi Ferrell, Pat McCaw, even Shabazz Napier. All that can be had for probably the minimum or close to it. Mack was a serviceable back up and judging by his unsigned status, the min might get it done. 

36 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

That's because I value picks much, much more than you do. Taking a flyer on Jerian Grant doesn't do it for me. I can actually defend Biz and say he played every single game and provided decent minutes. 

It's similar to the Suns trying out EP for a second round pick. That's basically the same rationale the Suns thought when they made that deal. 

You’d rather Biz play and take minutes from Birch and Bamba rather than have Mosgov just ride pine?

Id rather have Grant than a second round pick 2 years from now. We need PG help and he’s worth kicking the tires on. 

39 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

BS. That’s a straight up fanboy statement right there. I get the excitement and the optimism, but let’s not discount what Victor has turned himself in to...

and it’s Isaac!! Y’all are driving me insane with this Issac stuff.

I’m probably the least fan boy poster on this forum. I’m critical of everyone. 

Obviously victor is good but Harris is mehh. 

Yes, I would rather have AG/Issac/Bamba right now over the other 3. Without question. 

3 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Oh, please. . .No! I don't know anything about Mozgov, but I don't want Vuc mentoring anyone. What's he going to teach Bamba to do--pout when he can't get playing time or minutes? Oh, I forgot, he's going to teach him how to grab rebounds.

You don't know anything about Mozgov? Let me help: he's worse than Biz and should be getting 82 DNPs next season.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

Then next season, we aim for our franchise PG in what I believe will be a PG-heavy draft. I wouldn't even be surprised if we combine Fournier + 1st round picks to move up if we don't like our draft position because I think next draft is the one where you HAVE to address the PG issue. 

Next year's draft is very short on PG talent. Lots of wings but no elite PG prospect