magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

11 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Dipo/Harris/AG < Issac/AG/Bamba 

I disagree so far. But only because I have a very high opinion of Dipo. I think he'll get better against double teams (why not? He's gotten better at everything else), and be a top 10 guy in the league. He's a rare two-way guard who can be an elite scorer and defender. There are very few of those in history.

1 hour ago, Franchise408 said:

We *want* less shots for those guys.

Those guys are not, and should not be considered or relied upon as #1 scoring options. We should not be developing a team or a system that considers them to be #1 scoring options.

Wrong answer.  Our #1 scoring option should be our best player regardless of the position they play.  I hope we develop a team and system that utilizes the talent we have.  Bamba's ability to screen on a pick and roll was pretty impressive on Friday night.  Could prove to be  unstoppable in years to come as he develops.  Isaac looked like a point forward at the top of the key and, with development, may become a #1 scoring option.  Gordon, if he continues to show the same type improvement, will be a tough matchup and a pretty good scorer..  To suggest less shots for players we drafted 4th, 6th, and 6th may not be a wise move for the development of our team.

This trade does nothing. Lateral movement.

I remember two years ago when everyone was blasting the Mozgov signing and then praising the Biyombo signing. Now the sentiment has flipped and the same posters saying Mozgov is better and brings "championship" experience. Some of you posters need to take the blinders off, look in the mirror and actually think, no critically assess, what just happened. Grant is now on his third team in what will be four seasons. And Mozgov (IMO) hasn't recovered from his shoulder injury, and only played 31, yes THIRTY ONE games last season (he sucks that much). Biz while not the best player, was at least healthy enough to provide minutes at his position. 

so yea, lateral movement. Expect Mozgov to be glued to his seat, and Grant to be a high risk, high reward type player. If he flames out we don't give him a QO. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We got a PG who might be alright for nothing. 

Also, those of you complaining about this trade—you do realize it’s much easier to put Mosgov on the end of the bench and never play him than Biz right? Biz was going to get PT. Mosgov won’t. 

This opens up more PT for Bamba and Birch. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Harris doesn’t push the needle at all. 

Yeah, but at least he is able to get a shot. He could have filled a void at the 3 that is currently being filled by Terrance Ross. 

Dipo, Fournier, Harris, AG, Vuc --> That is a team that could've done some damage under the right coaching I believe. Payton was never the PG we needed. 

I am happy for this new team though. I'm interested to see if Fournier is still apart of the Magic's long-term goal.

Filler PG/Fournier/Isaac/AG/Bamba will work until we trade Vuc/Ross probably for a wing. I think we hold off on any major PG move unless one just kinda falls in our lap like Rozier or Kemba. Then next season, we aim for our franchise PG in what I believe will be a PG-heavy draft. I wouldn't even be surprised if we combine Fournier + 1st round picks to move up if we don't like our draft position because I think next draft is the one where you HAVE to address the PG issue. 

Then you just continue to build consistency and slowly that Magic culture is developed. 

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

We got a PG who might be alright for nothing. 

that may not be true. There are picks involved and we don't know who is sending what yet. It's likely that we sent at least a 2nd round pick. 

I feel like there's a good argument to be made that Jerian was the better PG on the Bulls last year. And the age difference between him and Dunn is negligible. If we'd gotten Kris Dunn, people would be very excited, acting like we got a possible future starter. What is really the difference between the two? Dunn gets more steals, but he turns the ball over way more. Jerian is coming off a very solid season, and he's improved visibly every year in the league.

6 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Grant to be a high risk, high reward type player. If he flames out we don't give him a QO. 

I disagree with that. Low risk. He's coming in here with 0 expectation to be the STAR PG. He is on a rookie contract. It's the final year of that contract. We aren't committing to him as our franchise guy. He's literally a rental...who has nothing to prove other than he's better than we all expect. 

Low risk, high reward type player if there ever was one. 

• Upvote 1

Personally I like the trade simply for the reason that we are getting some new faces and we erased another one of Henny's insane moves. Mosgov doesn't need to play and if Grant sucks he doesn't either. We are still a long way from camp and I have to believe we'll make some more moves. A week ago we had one PG, now we have 3. Yesterday Biz would have been the big off the bench, now it's Bamba. We still need a starting PG but we can wing it with DJ if we have to.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2018/07/07/orlando-magic-rumors-orlando-magic-trade-bismack-biyombo-acquire-jerian-grant-three-team-trade/

That article is all for the trade we just made. At the end they mention buying out Mosgov's contract...is that an option? I'd be down for that, but if we weren't considering that with Biz, why would we then for Moz?

8 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Grant is now on his third team in what will be four seasons.

Isaiah Thomas, Kyle Lowry, and Goran Dragic all played on three teams by the time they were 26. Just saying. Sometimes it takes a while for a PG to get it all together, and often guys who haven't put it together but look like they have potential get traded because they have value.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

that may not be true. There are picks involved and we don't know who is sending what yet. It's likely that we sent at least a 2nd round pick. 

I’d do a second rounder for him.