magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

Just now, Magicman28 said:

lol management saved some money.

and got a player at the point guard position that fits our team identity. AND Biyombo is gone, that's a contract no one thought we could ever get anything good out of. 

Just now, Magicfan1987 said:

and got a player at the point guard position that fits our team identity. AND Biyombo is gone, that's a contract no one thought we could ever get anything good out of. 

Fits our identity is another way of saying we didn't acquire talent.

• Downvote 3

I think everyone needs to chill the heck out haha

I'm not sure, but someone a few pages back said this was a positive move. It was a small positive move, but it was positive. We were literally all moaning and groaning during the season. Then we get near the draft and everyone is filled with hope again. Then we draft Bamba and we post a workout video where he is hitting three point shots and everyone swears we're going to win now and this is it. Then we resign AG and everyone just starts freaking out about a PG. 

We throw out names like Kemba, Lillard, IT, Lonzo... (I'm guilty just like everyone else).

Then we make a move we werent expecting. We save some money, get rid of a player who was not motivated to play for our organization anymore and get back two players. 1) is an athletic young point guard on an expiring contract that at least has some potential and 2) a guy who has been the butt of jokes in the NBA for a few seasons, however all we can hope for is that he is motivated to prove people wrong since his contract is about to run out. 

We weren't going to make a move for Dam Lillard or Carmelo or someone else and just automatically be a contender next season. This is going to be slow. I'm actually happy we have a Front Office that isn't going to throw a 4 year 40 million dollar contract at someone like Isaiah Thomas, because previous FO personnel would have.

So lets all take a breath and try to be optimistic here. We have a good looking cluster of big men in AG/Isaac/Bamba. We still have guards who play hard for us every night in Simmons/Fournier/DJ. Ross/Vuc are vets on expiring contracts, they'll want to play well hoping their next contract gets them as much money as possible. And now we have 2 new PGs who have something to prove. 

We are building a TEAM. That happens one piece at a time. Have a little faith. Have a little patience. And dare I say it? Trust the process. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Eh, this always happens. A fan base that has been delivered repeatedly a bad product gets excited over a backup 26 year PG with faith it'll be fixed down the road. Over and over again. Groundhogs day.

He's a net neutral player who fits our vision. 

He's replacement level and he's being paid like a replacement level guy. 

He and Augustin are going to be better than Thomas this year. 

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

Still don't have a starting PG

Nope, and this prevented us from getting him too.

1 hour ago, Miller4Prez66 said:

This trade is stupid. We just swapped garbage centers on garbage contracts and picked up a garbage guard. When I heard we traded Biyombo, I got excited until I saw it was for Mozgov. My neck is starting to hurt from shaking my head so much. 

1 hour ago, Miller4Prez66 said:

I’d rather do nothing than make a stupid waste of time trade.

I share your assessment of this trade.

1 hour ago, The Boss said:

If Biz is a garbage Center on a garbage contract what did you expect to get for him? No other team out there views Biz differently to how we do, at least we got a prospect in a position of need. I think it was a good deal, wasn't some huge trade but I think we did well for what we shipped out.

It was literally a nothing for nothing swap. Nothing changed about our roster. We still have a horrible contract for out backup center, and we still have nothing but low grade backups at the PG position.

36 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Some people can’t be pleased and apparently don’t understand you don’t fix a bottom feeder trash team in 1 trade or 1 draft. Trust the process. Let it happen. This move made us slightly better and saved us a little money. 

Idk why people are complaining. It’s just a little move with little risk with possibly a little reward. Who cares? This isn’t gonna be the last move we make before the season starts. 

R-E-L-A-X 

This move didn't make us better even a little bit, and it didn't save any money. We still have a garbage backup C on a garbage contract for the same length of time.

Mozgov is worse than Biyombo, and bringing in a backup quality PG doesn't improve us even slightly.

8 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

if you have an opportunity to make your team better, you take it. That's what management did, and today we are a better team. I am thankful.

We are not a better team, and this trade stopped us from making the move that would actually make us better.

3 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

But we swapped it for nearly an identical contract. So no, we didn't get rid of the contract.

Reading through this thread and seeing this deal makes me hate it more and more. And it prevents us from making the move that would actually make us better.

I don't like this move even a little bit. This was dumb, and a waste of time.

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He's a net neutral player who fits our vision. 

He's replacement level and he's being paid like a replacement level guy. 

He and Augustin are going to be better than Thomas this year. 

There's no emoji's anymore, but here's where I insert about 19 laughing emoji's at the bolded part.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Fits our identity is another way of saying we didn't acquire talent.

No. 

The reason the Spurs (and recently Boston) have sustained success developing players isn't because they have some magical powers to find diamonds. They just do a good job defining roles in their rotation and find players that fit those roles. 

Fit is important. It let's guys outplay their talent. 

• Upvote 1

Hey Everyone, long time stalker (Dwightmare days).I tried to create an acc some years ago but did couldn't verify it.

I think this is a good trade. Mozgov probably won't play much, opening time for Bamba. We also got a- first round point guard?- on a rookie contract that fits the way we want to play, although I don't think Jerian Grant is good. 

ps: English is not my first language.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

No. 

The reason the Spurs (and recently Boston) have sustained success developing players isn't because they have some magical powers to find diamonds. They just do a good job defining roles in their rotation and find players that fit those roles. 

Fit is important. It let's guys outplay their talent. 

soooo true

3 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

This move didn't make us better even a little bit,

Yes it did. A little bit. 

4 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

it didn't save any money.

Yes it did. 

5 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

We still have a garbage backup C

Nah, it opens up more minutes for Birch. 

5 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

Mozgov is worse than Biyombo

Eh. Probably. But what he gives us is a different look. Bamba is a beanpole. Birch is smallish but mobile. Biyombo struggled with size. What mozgov gives us is a giant that fills gaps in the games of our other centers though he should rarely play. 

9 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

this trade stopped us from making the move that would actually make us better.

How does trading Biyombo preclude us from making a future move. This makes no sense

IT was going to be all about him this season. All about proving everyone wrong, all about trying to earn a massive pay day this off-season. It would hurt the development of our long term goal for only a potentially minor on court improvement this season (at the expense of getting less shots from Isaac, Gordon and Bamba).

8 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

There's no emoji's anymore, but here's where I insert about 19 laughing emoji's at the bolded part.

I don't think you're aware of Isaiah Thomas' current issues.