magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

4 minutes ago, ~O~ said:

I think Lavar is excellent for bringing media recognition to the Orlando Magic organization.  Even though he says the most ridiculous things with a straight face, its better than nothing.  At least we'd have more relevance than Magic Johnson.  

~O~ my friend, I am not so sure that "this type or negative attention" is not what a young and budding team could use at this time. I do think we are finally turnnig the corner from being completely a media after thought, or just not getting any press coverage could be assisted by this Krazy Dad!

The Lakers should never think to give up on this kid, if it weren't for the constant undermining and his marketing pursuit of his sons. I like the direction this front office has us going in right now. 

By the way, every review of the Bamba/Issac S/L debut has been noting less than positive, it's been a while since we received positive National media reviews, and speaking for myself, it feels pretty good! 

12 minutes ago, chosen12 said:

~O~ my friend, I am not so sure that "this type or negative attention" is not what a young and budding team could use at this time. I do think we are finally turnnig the corner from being completely a media after thought, or just not getting any press coverage could be assisted by this Krazy Dad!

The Lakers should never think to give up on this kid, if it weren't for the constant undermining and his marketing pursuit of his sons. I like the direction this front office has us going in right now. 

By the way, every review of the Bamba/Issac S/L debut has been noting less than positive, it's been a while since we received positive National media reviews, and speaking for myself, it feels pretty good! 

I couldn’t agree more! The Ball family is poison. That’s what I like about this organization, we are the grown-ups.

52 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

Are you seriously asking me how Lavar Ball could be detrimental to the culture of a young and developing locker room?

Have you watched ANY sports news the last year and a half or so?

Yea the Lakers young players and organization is in shambles isn't it?

Are you going to answer the question or continue to ignore it? 

I think people way exaggerate Lavar Ball. He’s already talked about way less than he used to be. Put him in Orlando and people will completely stop caring about him. It’s not that big of a deal to me. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I think people way exaggerate Lavar Ball. He’s already talked about way less than he used to be. Put him in Orlando and people will completely stop caring about him. It’s not that big of a deal to me. 

There's so many narratives to be had in LA, wth kind of narrative would they come with for WeHam  vs. Lavar? Whatever it would be, it would be boring as heck. When asked the temperature of the room our front office explains the differences between a thermometer and a thermostat and the importance of keeping both in the house. And then... that smile.

That dang Weltman Smile....

1 hour ago, chosen12 said:

Well Sir, we do agree that not bringing the kid here for those reasons, is the right thing to do!

What is sad is, the kid is just starting his career, and his Dad (at no fault to the kid) has already damaged him. That is what I call sad.

My bad, misread your post. We agree!

1 hour ago, ~O~ said:

I think Lavar is excellent for bringing media recognition to the Orlando Magic organization.  Even though he says the most ridiculous things with a straight face, its better than nothing.  At least we'd have more relevance than Magic Johnson.  

Yeah, the "look at that stupid organization imploding from within" attention. The only reason LA isn't laughing stock of the NBA with the lavar show is because they're the lakers. We would be the laughing stock of the NBA. 

15 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

There's so many narratives to be had in LA, wth kind of narrative would they come with for WeHam  vs. Lavar? Whatever it would be, it would be boring as heck. When asked the temperature of the room our front office explains the differences between a thermometer and a thermostat and the importance of keeping both in the house. And then... that smile.

That dang Weltman Smile....

It's not just about attention saying dumb things. Lavar is a cancerous figure to have associated with your organization especially if his son doesn't look good. Don't you think he'd eventually pin Lonzo against Clifford if things aren't up to Lavars liking? Don't you think he'd attempt to sell us out to the media as well, blaming the coaches, etc? What about trying to be in a bigger market to sell more shoes, you don't think he's gonna try to force his hand to go somewhere else?

This would be a bad bad idea and an un-needed one. 

I don't think Lavar Ball is cancerous.  I wouldn't go that far.  Lavar Ball himself  knows that what he's saying is not true.  He reminds me of my uncle who would say the same damn things but it would definitely lift everyone's mood because of the laughter.  Because the Magic aren't the Lakers, I doubt the media hype would be still what it is.  At the least the league would talk about the Magic.  Magic Johnson has more relevance than the actual team.  It hurts...in the heart sometimes when I do a google search or I get excited about a article that mentions the Magic.  ......Now I have ask myself before i get disappointed..."WHICH MAGIC?".  

I actually like the way Lavar talks up his sons.  He holds them to a high standard...a ridiculous high standard but at least we won't have a problem with Lonzo's motivation.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

Yeah, the "look at that stupid organization imploding from within" attention. The only reason LA isn't laughing stock of the NBA with the lavar show is because they're the lakers. We would be the laughing stock of the NBA. 

No we wouldn’t. 

14 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

But...we already are?!   rofl.  Even  when the Magic were great, we weren't taken seriously by various media outlets.  They hated having to report about us.  

1 hour ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Yea the Lakers young players and organization is in shambles isn't it?

Are you going to answer the question or continue to ignore it? 

The Lakers organization kind of is in shambles. Even with LeBron there, nobody wants to go play there right now. Even Khawi came out and said the Clippers are his preferred LA team.

The Lakers are also a different situation from the Magic. The Lakers have always thrived off of media attention as it is anyways. Being the premiere team in LA, media attention is kind of their gig. So Lavar has less of an effect there.

Try him in small town Orlando. He's gonna act like Lonzo is too good to be playing in a market like that on a team like the Magic. I can already see him constantly causing strife with the organization, coaches, and teammates. Didn't we do this song and dance already with Shaq, T-Mac, and Dwight? Players who got their egos too big for the small pond? With Lonzo, we are actively bringing that mentality into the team. And unlike the Lakers, who always have been a team focused on bringing in big names rather than developing a cohesive unit of small talent, the Magic are trying to develop a particular culture. One that is currently fragile, because unlike the Lakers, we don't have an established culture of being a premiere franchise in the league like the Lakers do. We are trying to build a culture for and around guys like Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Isaac, Mo Bamba, etc. You guys already want to remove disruptions to that culture in guys like Vuc, but want to bring in the Balls? For what?

No thanks. Isaiah Thomas may have personal motivations to come in the form of wanting to reprove himself for a big contract later down the line with someone else, but he won't disrupt the locker room. I don't want anything to do with Lonzo and Lavar.

• Upvote 1