magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

13 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

I have no issues with holding out a few days and seeing what else might pop up. 

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

yeah, he also says it would be tough to sign a player with different motives than developing the young guys. To no fault of his own, IT looking to prove himself and cash in next summer. 

I still hope they're waiting on Ball/Laker situation. Ball would be a great piece to grow with our core.

You know what.  I'd take Lonzo Ball because the pressure of being in L.A. would be immediately off his shoulders.  He's a 6"6 point guard and that's good enough for me.  Youth, development, and growth would his advantage here.  

The Magic's problem is getting the getting the garden to bloom.  We haven't had a forward as dominate as Tracy McGrady was in a significant time frame. The blossoming needs time and it should all be simultaneous.  We have Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba.  The future of the franchise is paramount . There's no time to dwell on oversight.  

13 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Sounds like they're still talking to Boston about a possible Rozier deal.

• Upvote 1

I wish I could understand my weird love for Marcus Smart as a basketball player, but I want us to get a deal done for him so bad. He just fits the defensive nastiness that I want to see from a PG. And I guess my thinking is that no one's shooting can stay bad for that long - hell, even Rubio is downright average now. He's a solid FT shooter. He just seems to take awful shots. I keep thinking that a change of coaching staff, different direction offensively, could really help him. Kemba improved his shooting quite a bit under Clifford. Aaron has improved here. If Smart could just improve to Rubio's level - look at the similarities in shooting their first 4 years, for reference - he could be a very, very good player.

I guess my point is that I'd give up Vuc and the OKC pick in a sign-and-trade for Smart and call this off-season glorious. Smart seems pissed that Boston is playing games with his RFA. Rumors are he might take the QO and then Boston would likely lose him for nothing next year as he'd be unrestricted; they'd have to lock up Rozier, especially if they can't re-sign Kyrie - doubt they'd have the ability to spend big on Smart. They get Vuc's expiring and a cost-controlled player with OKC's pick, and they don't have to worry about salary for their future. Between Terry, Tatum, and Brown, they have some big contract decisions to worry about.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

I wish I could understand my weird love for Marcus Smart as a basketball player, but I want us to get a deal done for him so bad. He just fits the defensive nastiness that I want to see from a PG. And I guess my thinking is that no one's shooting can stay bad for that long - hell, even Rubio is downright average now. He's a solid FT shooter. He just seems to take awful shots. I keep thinking that a change of coaching staff, different direction offensively, could really help him. Kemba improved his shooting quite a bit under Clifford. Aaron has improved here. If Smart could just improve to Rubio's level - look at the similarities in shooting their first 4 years, for reference - he could be a very, very good player.

I guess my point is that I'd give up Vuc and the OKC pick in a sign-and-trade for Smart and call this off-season glorious. Smart seems pissed that Boston is playing games with his RFA. Rumors are he might take the QO and then Boston would likely lose him for nothing next year as he'd be unrestricted; they'd have to lock up Rozier, especially if they can't re-sign Kyrie - doubt they'd have the ability to spend big on Smart. They get Vuc's expiring and a cost-controlled player with OKC's pick, and they don't have to worry about salary for their future. Between Terry, Tatum, and Brown, they have some big contract decisions to worry about.

Good post. How do we feel about Smart running an offense? Didn't see much of him in college but it seemed like he was a full time PG but at Boston he didn't really play that role. His intensity and bulldog tenacity could be what our bunch of guys need.

I would find it rather humorous if Marcus Smart, having since proven he is nowhere near the level of player Rob Hennigan envisioned when he was so coveted by the Magic organization holding the number 2 pick, is traded for and finally ends up as the starting PG on Orlando 

8 minutes ago, The Boss said:

Good post. How do we feel about Smart running an offense? Didn't see much of him in college but it seemed like he was a full time PG but at Boston he didn't really play that role. His intensity and bulldog tenacity could be what our bunch of guys need.

He was a weird player in college, too. Very different from his NBA role so far. He ran the offense, but he was very high-usage (29% as a soph), inefficient shooter. He did have a good assist % and a decent TO% that sophomore year, though. I think he can run an offense, and it's conceivable that it might actually help him take fewer bad shots. Just the change in mind-set might help.

I feel like Marcus Smart starting and running this offense would be awful. He’s nice off the bench and a great gritty defender but his scoring is EP bad. 

• Like 1

I just can't help but think of what a lineup with Smart/Ross/Isaac/Gordon/Bamba could do on defense. How do you score on that team? At all? We'd be beating teams 85-75 on a regular basis.