magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

8 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Jesus, Bamba's comps make no sense. AD, Favors, Oden? WTF??

They use a similarity score based on measurables  and college stats. They're not really comparisons in the traditional sense.

4 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Right. And I'm wondering why?

It’s not obvious?

Oden was a world class defender and shot blocker. They have similar size (Oden much bigger frame though) and measurements. 

Their college stats are eerily similar. 

I’m not saying they’re the same but I completely get why that system would match them up. 

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

It’s not obvious?

Oden was a world class defender and shot blocker. They have similar size (Oden much bigger frame though) and measurements. 

Their college stats are eerily similar. 

I’m not saying they’re the same but I completely get why that system would match them up. 

I literally see no similarities. Oden was stiff and had no touch. More of a back to the basket, throw back guy. He was pretty much the complete opposite of Bamba

1 minute ago, magicblue said:

I literally see no similarities. Oden was stiff and had no touch. More of a back to the basket, throw back guy. He was pretty much the complete opposite of Bamba

Oden a stiff?

Did you watch college basketball in 2007? 

Their defensive similarities and rebounding ability alone makes sense why they would be linked on CARMELO. 

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Oden a stiff?

Did you watch college basketball in 2007? 

Their defensive similarities and rebounding ability alone makes sense why they would be linked on CARMELO. 

Yes, I'm 43 and have watched college basketball my whole life. I've been educated on the CARMELO comps and I understand that they are purely numerically speaking. And yes, Oden was a stiff and always looked like a 10 year NBA veteran to me. His knees seem to back that up

1 minute ago, magicblue said:

Yes, I'm 43 and have watched college basketball my whole life. I've been educated on the CARMELO comps and I understand that they are purely numerically speaking. And yes, Oden was a stiff and always looked like a 10 year NBA veteran to me. His knees seem to back that up

I don’t know what we’re arguing. You asked why I’m not surprised Oden would come up on that list and I told you. Now you’re talking about oden’s knee injuries like CARMELO would take that into consideration. I never said I would pick Oden as a comp for Bamba but that was never what we were discussing. They do however have enough similarities to where I’m not surprised Oden would come up on that test. 

You think he was purely a stiff that’s fine. It’s you’re assessment. It’s wrong but it’s your assessment. 

Before Oden’s knees went he was a world class NBA prospect. It’s not surprising to me they would be matched on CARMELO given their near identical college stats, defensive and reboduning ability matches too. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

Tony Parker to the hornets 2/10mil deal.... kemba trade coming.... maybe.... please....?

Parker in a hornets jersey is gonna be so weird. 

6 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I don’t know what we’re arguing. You asked why I’m not surprised Oden would come up on that list and I told you. Now you’re talking about oden’s knee injuries like CARMELO would take that into consideration. I never said I would pick Oden as a comp for Bamba but that was never what we were discussing. They do however have enough similarities to where I’m not surprised Oden would come up on that test. 

You think he was purely a stiff that’s fine. It’s you’re assessment. It’s wrong but it’s your assessment. 

Before Oden’s knees went he was a world class NBA prospect. It’s not surprising to me they would be matched on CARMELO given their near identical college stats, defensive and reboduning ability matches too. 

Like I said, I know little to nothing about CARMELO. It's some sort of algorithm that spits out comps based on numbers apparently. I just don't see anything, having watched both players, that looks similar (besides perhaps the numbers)