magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

He will hinder the development of younger players

While Orlando is in need of a scorer, bringing in a high-volume shooter like Thomas does take the ball out of the hands of the players that are guaranteed to be a part of the Magic’s future. Taking shots away from Gordon, Isaac and Bamba robs the young trio of developmental opportunities during what is a prime year for them to suffer growing pains during the Magic’s rebuild.

cant agree. Need to have a players whos gravity affects everyone elses roles on the team and puts them in proper perspectice. Young guys need roles, not volume shooting opportunities. See Trae Young already smh

4 minutes ago, My 5th Rebuild said:

I see Rodney Hood is still out there. He could be a steal.

I imagine Cleveland would match anything we can offer Hood. But it does look like we are holding that full MLE for when restricted free agents can sign offers. Hopefully we don’t give Isaiah anything more than the bi-annual exception. 

I’ll pas on Lin. 

I really don’t see the Magic bringing in Lin and Thomas. You think they’re gonna pay Lin 12.5 million next year, DJ 7.2 million and IT at least 5 million (probably more)?

That would be roughly 25 million next year at the PG position. I don’t see the point in bringing in Lin at all. If we sign IT we already have a good backup in DJ, Lin does nothing at that point. Lin would probably be a slightly better backup than DJ but is he 6 million better when we know DJ is a serviceable backup? 

I don’t see us trading for Lin. Unless it frees up a contract it doesn’t really make sense to me. If we sign IT we just need some G-League 3rd string PG to sign since we already have DJ. 

21 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

I imagine Cleveland would match anything we can offer Hood. But it does look like we are holding that full MLE for when restricted free agents can sign offers. Hopefully we don’t give Isaiah anything more than the bi-annual exception. 

I’m not sure Cleveland will match anything for Hood after how awful he was in Cleveland last season. 

13 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I’ll pas on Lin. 

I really don’t see the Magic bringing in Lin and Thomas. You think they’re gonna pay Lin 12.5 million next year, DJ 7.2 million and IT at least 5 million (probably more)?

That would be roughly 25 million next year at the PG position. I don’t see the point in bringing in Lin at all. If we sign IT we already have a good backup in DJ, Lin does nothing at that point. Lin would probably be a slightly better backup than DJ but is he 6 million better when we know DJ is a serviceable backup? 

I don’t see us trading for Lin. Unless it frees up a contract it doesn’t really make sense to me. If we sign IT we just need some G-League 3rd string PG to sign since we already have DJ. 

It's all about shifting money and opening PT for Bamba and Birch. Trade Vuc for Lin helps both teams in balancing the rosters. They both expire next summer. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I’m not sure Cleveland will match anything for Hood after how awful he was in Cleveland last season. 

I said anything we can offer - which I believe is $8.5M/year. Exum just got $11M/year. Our offer would be below market value for him. He played well in Utah and was in a weird position joining that Cavs team. I’d be thrilled if they let him walk though. 

EDIT: Sorry, I reread your post and think I misinterpreted. You mean they don’t have any interest at keeping him at all and wouldn’t even match a $5M/year deal?

Edited by Mack1085

18 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I’ll pas on Lin. 

My big concern with Lin and IT (aside from defense at the point) would be two of our PGs are injury prone AND coming off injuries. We could be back down to only DJ really quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

My big concern with Lin and IT (aside from defense at the point) would be two of our PGs are injury prone AND coming off injuries. We could be back down to only DJ really quickly. 

Yea that’s true too never even thought of that. I really think it would be one or the other not both we would bring in.