magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

I think it'll be fine. I think IT has a lot to prove and he's willing to take a smaller contract this season in hopes to land a large contract next season. Who knows, maybe he falls in love with Orlando and commits to us long term??? If he returns to the IT in Boston...I"d be okay with that. 

is he signing here?

25 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Magicfan1234 would of said something infuriating here :,(

Well it is kind of funny that he will have played for all but the one with recent championship success. Washington has one, but that was 40 years ago.

My concern with IT, and it's something 4thewin mentioned, is that he most likely isn't our long term plan and that our long term plan PG isn't in the mould of IT at all, probably a longer better defender (to go with the length and switchability we have been building). So we are going to use a year teaching our young players how to play with a complete liability on defence that is 3 foot 7 tall. There could be some things that they can use going forward but I think as a whole it will be detrimental to their growth a bit, or our teams growth. IT requires the whole roster and playstyle to cater to him, we may have the roster already but do we really want to cater a whole offence on a player that is most likely a one year player?

13 minutes ago, The Boss said:

My concern with IT, and it's something 4thewin mentioned, is that he most likely isn't our long term plan and that our long term plan PG isn't in the mould of IT at all, probably a longer better defender (to go with the length and switchability we have been building). So we are going to use a year teaching our young players how to play with a complete liability on defence that is 3 foot 7 tall. There could be some things that they can use going forward but I think as a whole it will be detrimental to their growth a bit, or our teams growth. IT requires the whole roster and playstyle to cater to him, we may have the roster already but do we really want to cater a whole offence on a player that is most likely a one year player?

I feel like the plan is stockpile defense and length in the forward spots and capitalize on scoring with the guards. Maybe get a decent length scoring PG who can distribute to open shooters and knows how to funnel/stay in front of guys. Having AG/Isaac/Bamba means we can lose a little on defense at the 1 because they can all recover rather quickly to erase any mistakes.

The concerns with IT are valid. We all know his weaknesses and the type of player he is. 

However, 

I think if we can get him it would be good for development. We can win some games with IT. Maybe for once we can establish some sort of a winning environment. Maybe we can actually play meaningful basketball post all star break. I don’t think you can downplay how valuable that would be to these guys to actually push for a playoff spot. Even if we don’t make it just being in the race would be worth something. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

The concerns with IT are valid. We all know his weaknesses and the type of player he is. 

However, 

I think if we can get him it would be good for development. We can win some games with IT. Maybe for once we can establish some sort of a winning environment. Maybe we can actually play meaningful basketball post all star break. I don’t think you can downplay how valuable that would be to these guys to actually push for a playoff spot. Even if we don’t make it just being in the race would be worth something. 

Good points. I'm open to the move. Will see how things play out, I'd still rather nab Fultz (think that door closed) or Ball.

1 hour ago, Magicfan1987 said:

is he signing here?

No, but Keith Smith tweeted earlier that there is mutual interest between us and Isaiah Thomas...only thing in the way was figuring out money. 

Its the only rumor from a credible source that seems to be pointing toward it being a reality. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ML6 said:

Remember, Young is going to be so much more efficient with all the NBA spacing.

Unless he is being guarded by... **squints**... Atlantic Sun POY Brandon Goodwin. 

Man, Trae just can’t catch any breaks. Last night had to try to score on Goodwin. Tonight struggling to gain an advantage over...

**rubs eyes vigorously**

Jeff Ledbetter of the Austin Spurs.