magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

6 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

That’s a very lazy article. Lowe, O’Connor and Pelton all like the deal. In the next couple of years, Orlando could really surprise people. Anyone who’s watched Isaac back to his FSU days knows he’s a wing, and we also know AG is best at PF. If we can just get rid of the big slug in Vooch and get a dynamic PG (Kemba please), Orlando will be off to the playoffs soon enough. 

Boston and Philly will run the east for the foreseeable future but outside of them it’s really open. I don’t want to cut corners just to make the playoffs but a couple roster tweaks and we could push for a playoff spot. 

My main thing is just not locking up any unecessary money past 2020. Let Gordon, Issac and Bamba get plenty of burn together. Frazier, Iwundu and Berch as well. If those guys can push for a playoff spot than great, if not, that’s fine too. It doesn’t all have to come together this year all at once. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Supposedly, we stretched Shelvin Mack’s $ 1 million guarantee for 3 years. Odd

By stretching Shelvin's $1M out over three years, it gives us an additional $666,667 under the luxury tax this year, which should allow us to use both the full mid-level exception of $8.57M and the Bi-Annual exception of $3.35M without worrying about going over the luxury tax line. Remember, when you cross that line, not only are you paying a penalty, but you are losing out on sharing in that luxury tax money. Generally speaking, 50% of the luxury tax is distributed to non-tax paying teams. So if next year there is an estimated record $400M in luxury taxes paid, then the other 15-20 non-tax teams get to split $200M of it. That works out to a minimum of roughly $13.3M, more if there are fewer teams sharing it. Since I believe that this is the last year of Watson's stretch, and you are close to the tax with Gordon's new contract, and potentially taking on more salary with the MLE and the BAE, and/or with trades, or veteran minimums; why wouldn't you stretch it. You make every move that makes sense to stay under it. This is the reason teams make some strange moves to stay under it, not just the penalty you pay; but the luxury tax distribution that you miss out on. 

• Like 1

Holy ****, this Australia v. Philippines brawl is nuts.

13 minutes ago, Odin said:

WHY IS EVERYONE OBSESSED WITH TURNING ALL OF OUR GUYS (ESPECIALLY GORDON) INTO CENTERS?

This is just a very stupid narrative. This writer should be ashamed.

I couldn't agree more. It's maddening when they make Gordon and Isaac both centers and then talk about Vuc like he is our franchise cornerstone and not an expiring contract. And we all know Biz is a mistake, but that doesn't mean we have to play him just because the former FO screwed up that situation. 

4 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Holy ****, this Australia v. Philippines brawl is nuts.

Man, basketball players are absolutely the most terrible fighters. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group of people that so consistently throw the worst punches in human history. 

Just now, Mack1085 said:

I couldn't agree more. It's maddening when they make Gordon and Isaac both centers and then talk about Vuc like he is our franchise cornerstone and not an expiring contract. And we all know Biz is a mistake, but that doesn't mean we have to play him just because the former FO screwed up that situation. 

Biz will be a fine back up big behind Bamba, if we get rid of Vuch. More similar style of player than Vuch and Biz have been.

But yeah, I don't think the FO is thinking of Biz or Vuch when considering their long term plans.

Just now, HeHateMe said:

Man, basketball players are absolutely the most terrible fighters. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group of people that so consistently throw the worst punches in human history. 

Thon Maker out here going Bruce Lee.

If anyone really wants to feel good about the Gordon deal (not that you aren't already), just remember that he will only be making 4 million per year (on average) more than Fournier and Biyombo are making per year. And that is two years after they signed their contracts.

In basketball inflationary terms, we basically signed Gordon for almost the same as what we signed Fournier and Biyombo. Fournier and Biyombo were signed, at the time, to 18% of the cap each, Gordon was signed to 20.5% of the cap.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/07/01/grades-aaron-gordon-stays-orlando-magic-four-year-deal-nba-free-agency

A C- grade seems pretty harsh since we signed Gordon to a team friendly contract, but I agree the BIG fit is not ideal.

Well he did call Bamba, Vuc, Biyombo, Isaac, and Gordon all centers so what do you expect