magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Mario going to the Knicks would be one of the least heartbreaking ones. Good situation with a good coach and players around him. And the GOAT Michael Rapaport

What good situation? Knicks have been a terrible franchise since Ewing retired 

34 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

A lot of minutes at the wing positions, good match with Porzingis and Ntilikina

23 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

A lot of minutes at the wing positions, good match with Porzingis and Ntilikina

That is the only thing good for him but Knicks will still be terrible but it will be a better fit for him than the Kings who are also interested in Mario

Money getting spent early this year. Agree with P4TW well get a good player on the cheap when nobody else has cap room. Also we still need to pay AG, he's got the type of self confidence to take the QO if not. I'm definitely giving him 5 years too.

3 hours ago, MagicFan1234 said:

When compared to our position, he might be better off joining the Knicks.

They have an all star caliber player to build around in Kristaps Porzingis. He was well on his way to star status with superstar potential before his injury. As long as he comes back strong from that injury there is no reason why he cannot continue to be the centerpiece for that franchise for a long time. We don't have such a player unless we see Gordon breaks out like Oladipo did with the Pacers, or Isaac or Bamba become that star caliber player. 

Outside of KP, they have a young high upside combo guard in Frank Ntilikina, they have just drafted a high upside but raw forward in Kevin Knox,  Tim Hardaway Jr has just had a career year, and Enes Kanter has opted in and while he's not a dominate defensive player he's an excellent rebounder and leader. They some other talent as well on their roster like Emmanuel Mudiay, Trey Burke, Mitchell Robinson and Damyean Dotson. Add in their cap flexibility starting next year which coincides with KP's return and they might be able to attract big name free agents to a big market as long as they are trending in the right direction. Now we do have some good young upside talent on our roster, and one might argue we are better off because we have a completed front court in Isaac, Gordon and Bamba. So Hezonja would slot in at SG and all we need to do then is address the PG position, but is the SG spot Hezonja's best position? Will he even get an opportunity to start under a veteran orientated head coach? It's tough to say. 

From a coaching stand point they have hired David Fizdale. He is highly regarded and respected around the league. Player development and developing a strong culture are two things he should bring to that team, and with their young upside talent and existing veterans he has the players to work with to set the foundations for long term success. I personally would have liked to have seen us hire Fizdale rather than Clifford. The positive from Clifford's stand point is that he is a defensive coach that got the Hornets into the top ten in defensive rating in pretty much every season he coached them. So considering we are heading towards building a defensively orientated team around Gordon (if extended), Isaac and Bamba, then hiring Clifford does make sense but he was a fairly uninspiring hire. For me I think Fizdale is the better coach but time will tell. 

Front office wise the people in charge seem to have a more level headed approach than previous regimes. They have pretty much said they aren't looking to lock any players up into long term deals from this year's free agent pool in order to maximize cap space and flexibility for next year's free agent pool. They have decided to rebuild around their young upside talent, build a strong culture, and be patient. Again another tough one to pick a winner. The issue I have with our front office is they are consistently looking for certain measurements in every prospect, which is fine but measurements aren't everything. I would have liked to have seen us trade up, but there is no doubt that Bamba was a good value pick at six. Time will tell whether their approach in going for length is the right one or not, but front office wise both teams have their preferences and flexibility going forwards. 

So who holds the advantage? I'd say the Knicks because Hezonja would arguably join Frank Ntilikina, Tim Hardaway jr, Kevin Knox and Enes Kanter in the starting line up. So there should be no shortage of opportunity with them because he arguably wouldn't start for us next season under Clifford. So if Hezonja wants to join a team that will give him a greater opportunity to develop and get more minutes under his belt, then I'd say the Knicks are a better fit, and long term they might be better off because when KP comes back they'll have an all star caliber player to add to their starting line up - which is something we don't currently have. Plus when you combine Fizdale's appeal around the league, their market size, and storied franchise status, they might be better off attracting bigger name free agents in 2019 or 2020 than we might be. 

Now I hope we do get to bring back Hezonja, but the Knicks do offer a better opportunity, and perhaps the Kings as well because he could land the starting small forward role for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Money getting spent early this year. Agree with P4TW well get a good player on the cheap when nobody else has cap room. Also we still need to pay AG, he's got the type of self confidence to take the QO if not. I'm definitely giving him 5 years too.

He will 100% take the QO if Magic low ball him, not that I think they will. It's looking like he will probably be offered low 20's from the FO at this rate which I think is right for him.

Not remotely bothered about Hezonja. His agent was actively shopping him all last season so he was gone the minute he wasn't picked up. Despite him being terrible at the time it was a stupid thing to do as he immediately ceased to have any trade value. It was plain bad asset management no way around it. Him leaving or re-signing will have no impact on this franchise going forward, all he showed towards the end of the season was that he 'might' be an ok bench player instead of being out the league and playing in Europe. Losing the ability to use him in a trade or aquiring some sort of pick is annoying however.

What about Kyle Anderson for the Magic? 

He's long, can play some back up 4, can handle the ball and distribute. He's not athletic at all but he could allow you to run some no PG lineups which would be useful since we currently only have 1.

3 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

We have the upper hand on  AG but not so much on Mario’s. If Mario really wants to be here he will resign right away. If not, that means he is getting lucrative offers and he is most likely leaving. 

We may not have even talked to him. I don't know if he gets mins with people healthy on the team 

13 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

What about Kyle Anderson for the Magic? 

He's long, can play some back up 4, can handle the ball and distribute. He's not athletic at all but he could allow you to run some no PG lineups which would be useful since we currently only have 1.

We will have ag, ji, and maybe the guy in the second round. We need 2 pgs

7 minutes ago, LaVar said:

We will have ag, ji, and maybe the guy in the second round. We need 2 pgs

I think we need a backup 4 who can play 20 mins a night. Anderson gives you flexibility. He can play 3, 4 or probably as a funky small ball 5 for a few mins and he allows you to run lineups without a true PG because of his passing and ball handling. Like you could run lineups with Simmons at PG and Anderson at the 4 and get by for a few minutes a game. 

I'm not saying we should definitely do it or anything it's just an interesting idea to me.

11 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think we need a backup 4 who can play 20 mins a night. Anderson gives you flexibility. He can play 3, 4 or probably as a funky small ball 5 for a few mins and he allows you to run lineups without a true PG because of his passing and ball handling. Like you could run lineups with Simmons at PG and Anderson at the 4 and get by for a few minutes a game. 

I'm not saying we should definitely do it or anything it's just an interesting idea to me.

I understand.

I see it as :

Vuch / Bomba/ biz

Gordon / JI/ birch

Ross / Rookie / Rookie 

Evan / Simmons/ Wes 

DJ /

Unless we trade, I don't see us signing much after pgs