magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

44 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Good point guards improve every year they are in the league, like he has.  That's the extent.  People here think pg's are plug and play, they aren't.  Our team doesn't deserve a homegrown pg with our collective lack of understanding.  Trades and FA, sure..

Be interesting to see if anyone agrees with you, and how much interest he commands at this point.  Could he be headed out of the NBA?

6 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Be interesting to see if anyone agrees with you, and how much interest he commands at this point.  Could he be headed out of the NBA?

With how dry FA is I expect him to take a 1 year flier on a playoff team as a backup, build up some good will, and then try his hand at securing a long term deal next year.  

At least that's what I would do, I would hope he doesn't chase money and end up in another low leverage situation...though it's his life and maybe he's good fading away.  

1 hour ago, Murphy13 said:

Good point guards improve every year they are in the league, like he has.  That's the extent.  People here think pg's are plug and play, they aren't.  Our team doesn't deserve a homegrown pg with our collective lack of understanding.  Trades and FA, sure..

Marginal improvement from a player that was bad to begin with doesn’t necessarily warrant celebration. 

Payton is bad. I have no clue why we are even discussing him right now. We did a good job just getting a second round pick for him. 

Go see how much suns fans like him. 

1 hour ago, Murphy13 said:

With how dry FA is I expect him to take a 1 year flier on a playoff team as a backup, build up some good will, and then try his hand at securing a long term deal next year.  

At least that's what I would do, I would hope he doesn't chase money and end up in another low leverage situation...though it's his life and maybe he's good fading away.  

This assumes he'll have multiple offers to choose from.  I guess we'll see soon enough if that's the case.

6 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

If we have a remote chance of getting Fultz—you jump all over that. His stock will seemingly never be lower. I wouldn’t wage the future of the franchise on him but if it’s a realistic Deal to get Fultz in a Magic uniform you take that chance. 

Would you trade next years first top 3 protected?

4 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

In building a future, there are really two options for PG to lead this team to be competitive for years to come: Fultz and Kemba. Fultz's price will likely be too high as PHI has not given up on his potential I don't believe. Kemba will be someone we sign next summer, thus we'll need a short-term PG for this season (Augustine). 

I would really only be satisfied if one of these two were our focus. All the other options in my mind are short-term patches to a long-term problem. 

Just as I thought that Philly would move pick 10 due to salary cap savings, moving Fultz will be totally related to whether they need his salary cap space to sign LeBron or another max free agent.  That is what we should watch and take note of.  If shedding his salary will result in a LeBron signing the price will not be that high.  June 29th is the date to watch as to what LeBron does.  My understanding is if he opts in he may be trying to get a trade to his preferred team who can then sign him for 5 years and $205 million.  If that's Philly that would be negative for us to get Fultz since he would probably be part of a trade.  2nd NBA season starts 7/1/2018. 

6 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Just as I thought that Philly would move pick 10 due to salary cap savings, moving Fultz will be totally related to whether they need his salary cap space to sign LeBron or another max free agent.  That is what we should watch and take note of.  If shedding his salary will result in a LeBron signing the price will not be that high.  June 29th is the date to watch as to what LeBron does.  My understanding is if he opts in he may be trying to get a trade to his preferred team who can then sign him for 5 years and $205 million.  If that's Philly that would be negative for us to get Fultz since he would probably be part of a trade.  2nd NBA season starts 7/1/2018. 

I dunno, everybody in the know with James swears it’s down to Lakers or Cavs. I’m expecting Kawhi dealt to Philly in a package including Fultz.

12 hours ago, JJZFL said:

But do you want every single player in the same mold, especially if that mold includes not shooting very well?  I mean it's nice to have length but I doubt 5 long players who can't shoot would do very well against Golden State.  In fact, I doubt those 5 will even make the playoffs at all.

lol.... We're not competing against Golden State yet........ I like the fact of getting an identity. I totally understand that we have to score points, but I like the fact that we have a POSSIBLE core that will make life difficult on the visiting team.

2 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I dunno, everybody in the know with James swears it’s down to Lakers or Cavs. I’m expecting Kawhi dealt to Philly in a package including Fultz.

Very possible and I hope it's the Lakers because then only one of the Rockets/Warriors/Lakers makes the Finals.  And besides the Lakers have to gut their roster to get two max free agents making James chances of another title in LA not likely.  Cavs not likely either.  I think if he signs with either he will not find himself in the Finals next year.  That is up to him.

I always said Leonard is headed to Philly or Boston if the Spurs stick to only trading him to an East Team.  I think Boston has the most assets (players plus #1 draft picks) so If Boston is interested they have the upper hand but if not I think Philly would pounce.

2nd NBA season will be interesting to say the least.  

36 minutes ago, Pootie Tang said:

Would you trade next years first top 3 protected?

I think I would. Maybe top 5. I think we’ll pick like 7-10 next year.