magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

32 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

I like Bamba fine. But what the hell would be the problem with Wendell Carter Jr.?

Bamba is exciting and if he develops the way he could he has a chance to be a very dominant big man. Carter will be a good center,  probably never an all star.
Hopefully by the time we are thinking contender Bamba will be able to guard whichever big men we face adequately. 

Yea I was one of the biggest Carter fans on here but Bamba could be a franchise building block type player. I think Carter will be a really good player but not the all-star potential on either end of the court. 

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm so happy we got Bamba and not Wendell Carter

I watched a clip of UT vs Duke today and Bamba was doing a good job boxing out WCJ. I kept thinking, "I want to see every rebound to see if he uses 2 hands every time". 

• Upvote 1

Time to pivot since this is off season thread to some NBA issues.  Just interested in everyone's thoughts since we have a lot of knowledgeable Magic/NBA fans on this site.  Feel free to answer all or tackle one at a time

1. Last night during the draft Golden State payroll was discussed.  Said it would approach or exceed $200 million  (Durant extension and I think this includes luxury tax) this year and potentially approach $300 million (Klay plus Draymond extension) next year.   Commentator's said it was worth it for the owner to pay this because of championships.  Hit me as not totally fair since most teams (including us) are restricted and limited to add players to make us competitive due to the cap while Warriors get to keep their best players.....Question is...Is it time to address the soft cap?

2.  One and done and the draft....Looks like this will be addressed......most common idea's=eligible after 3 years in college PLUS high school seniors can apply PLUS (happening already) G league signing high school seniors.  I heard it could be implemented in 2021 draft which would include one and done's AND high school seniors applying..now that would be a deep draft.......Any thoughts

3.  Draft itself...In theory NBA approves all trades...Next year it is possible that two teams (Boston and Atlanta) could hold 7 of the 30 first round picks (little less than 25%)..Should NBA be monitoring this a little closer and put some limits to uphold balance....Just hit me as a bit unfair

4,   New Lottery system starting next year (in theory to curb tanking).....I should let it play out but my initial reaction...I am not a fan.

That gets everything NBA off my mind...at the moment

1. To eliminate the soft cap you'd have to stop guaranteeing contracts.

2. I actually think letting high-schoolers in could help with tanking. My reasoning is this: it must affect the math of tanking to have top level talent with less tape against quality opponents. Look how often guys are one or two coming out of high school but fall off. Shabazz Muhammad comes to mind. He might have been a top 5 pick, even with added scrutiny from pre-draft stuff, without seeing him at UCLA. It will add a lot of bust potential players, which might make tanking less of a safe bet. Of course, it could just make teams tank even longer. Hard to say.

3. The NBA needs to leave transactions alone more than they already do. I actually think it hurts teams the controls the NBA already puts on draft trading. Those GMs for Boston and Atlanta worked really hard to get those picks, and they deserve them.

4. I don't know what the new lottery will do. It may encourage more teams to tank; I just don't know.

6 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

Time to pivot since this is off season thread to some NBA issues.  Just interested in everyone's thoughts since we have a lot of knowledgeable Magic/NBA fans on this site.  Feel free to answer all or tackle one at a time

1. Last night during the draft Golden State payroll was discussed.  Said it would approach or exceed $200 million  (Durant extension and I think this includes luxury tax) this year and potentially approach $300 million (Klay plus Draymond extension) next year.   Commentator's said it was worth it for the owner to pay this because of championships.  Hit me as not totally fair since most teams (including us) are restricted and limited to add players to make us competitive due to the cap while Warriors get to keep their best players.....Question is...Is it time to address the soft cap?

2.  One and done and the draft....Looks like this will be addressed......most common idea's=eligible after 3 years in college PLUS high school seniors can apply PLUS (happening already) G league signing high school seniors.  I heard it could be implemented in 2021 draft which would include one and done's AND high school seniors applying..now that would be a deep draft.......Any thoughts

3.  Draft itself...In theory NBA approves all trades...Next year it is possible that two teams (Boston and Atlanta) could hold 7 of the 30 first round picks (little less than 25%)..Should NBA be monitoring this a little closer and put some limits to uphold balance....Just hit me as a bit unfair

4,   New Lottery system starting next year (in theory to curb tanking).....I should let it play out but my initial reaction...I am not a fan.

That gets everything NBA off my mind...at the moment

No we don't need to address the soft cap. It's not like this is something we haven't exploited as well. When we were contending we had a payroll of almost 100 million during an era where the cap was in the 50s. Their payroll is only going to be like 160 million. What's killing them is the luxury tax. So when you see that the warriors are going to pay 300 million to keep their players it's basically 140 million exclusively in luxury tax money. 

We probably shouldn't trade our 2021 picks

No. I don't care if Boston has 30 picks. They only have 15 roster spots. 

Why aren't you a fan?

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I changed my mind. Marcus smart might be good enough to be a starting point guard

I don't know if he'll take the mle though

What changed your mind?

4 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

What changed your mind?

Identity. We are clearly creating an identity of grit and defense.

Augustin is so underrated. 8-3 record says hello. 

Augustin/Smart PG will do for an ok 2018-2019. Not playoff worthy but we can begin to have a revival of Darrell Armstrong days with this tandem. 

13 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

What changed your mind?

If we're going to pay somebody we might as well pay someone who impacts winning. 

And we could probably salvage Fournier. He's a good enough team defender. 

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

If we're going to pay somebody we might as well pay someone who impacts winning. 

And we could probably salvage Fournier. He's a good enough team defender. 

I'm for it. I just can't believe he hasn't improved that shot.

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

No we don't need to address the soft cap. It's not like this is something we haven't exploited as well. When we were contending we had a payroll of almost 100 million during an era where the cap was in the 50s. Their payroll is only going to be like 160 million. What's killing them is the luxury tax. So when you see that the warriors are going to pay 300 million to keep their players it's basically 140 million exclusively in luxury tax money. 

We probably shouldn't trade our 2021 picks

No. I don't care if Boston has 30 picks. They only have 15 roster spots. 

Why aren't you a fan?

One of the reasons the Mavs trade was quite valuable for Atlanta. They got Miami's 2021 1st rounder. That could be a great pick.